• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

6.0 Powerstroke Owners: What kind of oil do you run?

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
Thanks doodah, I owned a 6.0 a few years back and didnt have any problems with it. This is my 2nd 7.3 and it has a banks kit and runs really strong.

Not a problem, just a word for the wise, in the summer months instead of running the expensive diesel 911 or cetane boost/injector lubricant, just dump some good ol fashioned two stroke oil in the fuel tank, winter run the 911 or equivalent for anti-gel purposes.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I just run 5w40 all year and dont worry about it i guess. Thats totally personal prefference though.

Yeah running a 5w40 synthetic works great too. Ive just heard that a way to keep these 6.0s running strong is to keep fresh oil in them so i figure y not. Plus the synthetic oil gets pretty pricey. But yes, personal preference.

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
Yeah running a 5w40 synthetic works great too. Ive just heard that a way to keep these 6.0s running strong is to keep fresh oil in them so i figure y not. Plus the synthetic oil gets pretty pricey. But yes, personal preference.

You are correct the 6.0's like clean fresh oil. I also recommend changing fuel filters every oil change and running a coolant filter on these as well. If these are the only things you do to a 6.0 it will greatly appreciate it!

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
The 7.3's use a hi pressure oil system to fire the injectors. So I would say the rev x should work for them as well.

Im sure its not going to be a huge difference but it might help a little, the most known change is with the 6.0 though, its worth a shot too run it in your 7.3 though.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
rev x

Just changed to t6 and added rev x, what a difference! This thing was a noisy hammer in the mornings below 45 degrees, so I was plugging it in which took care of it, but now starts great and runs smooth without pluggin it in.....I guess it's worth the money although 160 bucks an oil change is alittle nuts imo......

80 oil + 17 filter + 65 Rev X= ouch
(its a good thing we don't share a check book!)

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007
My 6 liter just droped 2 injectors. Its a 03 with 60000 miles on it. do all the service to it and then some. Run 10/30 oil in it. love the truck but i have heard alot of bad stuff and now me. Tell me what caused this. this truck is just broke in.

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
My 6 liter just droped 2 injectors. Its a 03 with 60000 miles on it. do all the service to it and then some. Run 10/30 oil in it. love the truck but i have heard alot of bad stuff and now me. Tell me what caused this. this truck is just broke in.

Its a 6.0 thing man! Its not if its going to give you problems, its when. 6.0's are a tough motor to really get to the bottom of a problem but there are some guidelines when you do have an issue...
  1. Injectors
  2. HPOP failure
  3. EGR failure
  4. Head Gasket failure
  5. FICM failure
  6. VGT solenoid on turbo faiure
  7. VGT vanes in turbo sticking
  8. cracked up pipes for turbo
  9. intercooler boot leaks/cracks

For your issue it could be many things, but low fuel pressure, bad upkeep with oil and fuel filter changes, or just faulty injectors. also make sure the tech that is doing your work flowbenches your "bad" injectors out of the truck. Sometimes on 6.0's the injector harness rubs on the motor and could cause a short or cut a wire. just something to look into when it is apart to rule out any electrical malfunction.

R

robb

Dec 23, 2007
Yes i Know and was just waiting for my turn. Very sad to have this kind of problem. The diesel motor should run till the body falls off these trucks. Whats new ford injector worth in the US. In Canada i can buy a ford one for $300 but retail is close to $400. and a EGR valve is $310 cost for me. What that new motor like so far. The service teck i know say good but after the first winter will tell the story.

CISC0

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2010
PNW=WA
I have a couple 6 hoes, good thing to do is backflush the oil cooler. There's a few kits out there for this, it will make a world of difference on your deltas. Possibly save replacing an oil cooler also.

Premium Features