• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

52 tooth lower gear from King cat?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys anybody do this to theirs? Just use the stock chain right? Didn't have to re-clutch I'd imagine? Normally I'd order the bdx 50 tooth steel sprocket but I'm up here in Canada, shipping across border is too much so looking at alternatives to the aluminum sprocket that probably needs replacement at 3k km (will find out soon).

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I believe it's actually a 51T. I am considering going 18/51 on mine but have a few other things to work on first.

I am looking to try 20/49 from the stock 19/50 2:45 vs. 2:63
Found a set of gears and a new chain (96 pitch) for 100 bones, so not much invested to see if going this way - To me the Alpha already feels a bit to low geared for the riding we do
Have 2 Alpha's to compare so leaving one alone so snow condition won't hamper the results.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I am looking to try 20/49 from the stock 19/50 2:45 vs. 2:63
Found a set of gears and a new chain (96 pitch) for 100 bones, so not much invested to see if going this way - To me the Alpha already feels a bit to low geared for the riding we do
Have 2 Alpha's to compare so leaving one alone so snow condition won't hamper the results.
I'm in southern BC and big and heavy so lots of snow but usually wetter and heavier than the stuff further north and what you get in Wyoming too.
That said please keep us informed I'd love to hear your results.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I'm also southern bc, east koots, and yeah damn wet snow sometimes hey lol. Id think the 20/49 will cause the belts to eat more and it's not like the primary clutching is maxed so in my half educated opinion you'd get a similar outcome by lightening primary spring or add weight.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I'm also southern bc, east koots, and yeah damn wet snow sometimes hey lol. Id think the 20/49 will cause the belts to eat more and it's not like the primary clutching is maxed so in my half educated opinion you'd get a similar outcome by lightening primary spring or add weight.
Last thing I feel in my 28+ years of clutching is gearing up just at very slight tad as this will do - will tame the low end a bit and only increase powder riding top track speed ( no trails) - I will report

We do get the heavy wet snow but not like the humidity of BC- but alot of bottomless fluff where the track speed does help
This slight gearing combo ( Math) worked well for the current Polaris axys and the old 2015 m8's --( I know different animals)- but worth a try for a quick few hours of gear swap and the price is well worth trying.

I can clutch easily around belt heat- lightening the primary only won't do and generally a bog .....:cautious:and then playing with the shallow helix these come with..

Small change so if it doesn't work- I will just mark it in the book & put it on the shelf along with the other tries that failed and others that didn't...

Only one way to find out and that is nut up and try.!!?

you can fit the 20T on a stock chain after 400 miles. fyi
Ya might be worth the try- it's right in the middle of the 2 ratios =2:5

Last edited:
Premium Features