• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 IGNITE active thermal Goggles??

P
Jan 19, 2009
Mixed...at best.
We were in the UP from December 26-30th and were dealing with snow and freezing cold- full disclosure. Looked for a solution to fogging because of active riding style and conditions. Long story short, I ended up HAVING to buy a 509 Delta R3- basically for the heated shield see below for further detail, its sort of appropriate because people reading this thread are probably looking for fog free solutions. My riding partner ended up with the 509 ignite, he got the better deal.
First day the 509 ignite didn’t charge properly, perhaps our fault but the lens stayed mostly fog free without the battery power. This was a good thing. Day 2 it charged but its not a set and forget deal with regard to the setting as the battery doesn’t last, perhaps due to the cold but IMHO it should designed to handle the cold otherwise the other goggles are just not worth the $. You cannot operate the goggle on your own, you can hit the button but you cannot see the blue indicator light when its on your helmet which can be PITA because its not necessarily that you cant see the light or set it, its that you have to ration the battery power. We only ride in the daylight and while we didn’t time it, they would not make half a day on any setting without going dead. So the lens was clearly quality which helped the goggle earn a ‘pass” with my buddy, but for what they cost, it seemed like a new product that needs some polishing with regard to battery/power delivery/duration. Budddy liked them, no complaints on weight and liked the idea of hitting the button when needed to clear so that’s the low down for use in 0 degree, snowy UP weather. It was damn cold, snowy and powder conditions all 5 days. Seeing was our ONLY issue and these came just short of expectations even after “learning” how the product worked.

I realize this is a goggle thread but in short, the Delta R3 is a bad design for active riders and have to share. After getting the wires taped and set up so the cords didn’t pull out ALL the time, (happened on nearly any bump) the shield flat out failed to work. Breath box moves all over as if it was the wrong size for the helmet causing chafing on my face. First time I emailed a company because of the major drag the experience was, I wanted to share and see how a company might respond...anyway, great idea in a helmet but its cold, sun shade comes half way down and is meant for a sunny day in the stratosphere, cord pin and connector failed second day. Failed as in would be plugged in, secured and the red indicator light would not come on even the the accessory green light was on and power was there. Looks awesome, using it without a shield is a plus, go pro mount included is nice and if you sit quietly and trail ride a groomed surface it probably makes sense. You get what you pay applies here...big time. I could see this getting good reviews in fair weather and from trail riders, but for active riding the ignite goggle is probably a better solution even though I got the helmet for about 20 dollars more than what my friend paid for his goggles. I thought I got a great bargain and thought I could put up with a wire in order to actually see in the great conditions we had to ride in...turns out to be the most frustrating equipment failure in my 30 years of snowmobiling.

I cant wait to see what the manufacturers come with for heated goggle solutions, there were MANY sledders up in the UP last week talking and looking at products that were a) available and b) that actually worked as you would expect. We found both to be a challenge.

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I said the same thing to the 509 rep about the battery pack, 1 its heavy, 2 you cannot see what mode your on when they are on your helmet, 3 the build quality is horrible.

Want a good goggle. Go with a optics company, my Oakley infernos are the best goggle Ive ever owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FOLLOW UP.

Now that I have had these out on SEVERAL different rides at different Temps and Elevations and Exertion levels, I can honestly say I LOVE THESE GOGGLES.

The wind leakage that I first experienced had to be a Helmet issue as I have never seen that problem again.

The moment I start to see any Fog, or Ice or Snow Crystals I just push the button and WATCH IT CLEAR UP AND JUST MELT AWAY.

I will be getting rid of all my other goggles.

I have found GOGGLE HEAVEN after 9 years of Fighting the Fog!!

Note:
I have NOT used them in constant ON mode yet.
In every case I just use the 2 minute feature and that has Done the trick nicely to clear them up.
As such I have seen terrific battery life from mine.

Last edited:

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
I would highly recommend them. Love mine this season. Battery is a little bulky but I don’t notice it once it’s on my helmet.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I'm a Quick Strap guy. The battery is the only reason that held me back from trying them this year. I think I can adapt the battery to the Quick Strap.

I second Eric's request for some pictures on a Klim helmet.

shanemerr

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2011
Idaho
Quick straps

Put quick straps on mine and the battery fits good. Best money I ever spent on a pair of goggles. Have run them all season. I used to carry 3 pairs of regular goggles a still struggled, not any more.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
My test will be tomorrow, so far all good we shall see , it will be manna from heaven if they do as they say lol :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Has anyone figured out a way to hard wire the 509 ignite googlesto the sled battery. The reason I ask is when I stop for a break or lunch it would be nice to plug them in to save on battery life. I like to keep my lense clear but need more power with the short battery life.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
OR, you can get in shape, not over dress, keep your head dry, install a Quick Strap, carry one spare goggle in a goggle heater bag thingie(Poo has the best I ever used).

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
OR, you can get in shape, not over dress, keep your head dry, install a Quick Strap, carry one spare goggle in a goggle heater bag thingie(Poo has the best I ever used).

I hear ya....and I've done all of those.
I'm lean, in shape (I'm mostly still all tendon for a 46 year old guy), dress lightly when appropriate, take head sock off when getting warm, I used to wear quick straps, now I put googles on pipe when stopped long enough to totally warm them and clear them out...I still fog.

I'd love to try some heated goggles.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Thanks

Thanks for the review here everybody. What I see here plus what a my buddy at work says about his means that I'll be getting a pair this year and trying it out. I will report back as well.

I would like to get those ABOMs if they are nicer. It's so hard to buy from skiing companies though. You just know those suckers are donating to the sierra club every year.

onedoubles

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2018
I'm a big fan of the ABOM HEET. Great lense, no bulky battery like on KLIM, good performance. Do they last all day for a 10 hour session? No. So now I own two pairs. Very expensive, but then again, being able to see in a storm is priceless

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I have a Pair of the ABOM's also, only negative is no nose protection.

I'm a big fan of the ABOM HEET. Great lense, no bulky battery like on KLIM, good performance. Do they last all day for a 10 hour session? No. So now I own two pairs. Very expensive, but then again, being able to see in a storm is priceless

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
We love ours. Our group calls them a game changer. We also offer an extension cord from 509 in case you want to relocate your battery for quick straps our for weight reasons. We just had a big 509 order come in and the majority of it is heated goggles because they were in such demand the last 2 seasons. I also have spare batteries which also come with the charger.

F02000300-000-000.png

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Bought the kingpin ignite last January. First time out trying them was going to Cooke City for a week. used first afternoon we arrived, that was in February when it got real cold around here. I bought them the day before we left, charged them that night. when I returned to my room and went to recharge the battery I realized I forgot the charger at home still plugged into the outlet from the night before. I went all week just turning them on to the intermittent setting when they started to fog and back off when clear. Battery lasted all week .

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
4 years later and I have finally suffered my first real failure.
my original yellow pair died on me saturday when the battery cable gave up the ghost and frayed. :)

I like these googles SO MUCH I went ahead and bought a third pair though.
Found a shop with the newest Aviators Ignites and snatched them up!

aviator-2-ignite-goggle_CyanNavy.01_1296x[1].jpg

Most people here on SnoWest know I am a total KLIM Poster boy.
Considering the company is just down the street from where I live I ride with almost 100% KLIM gear.
EXCEPT for my Goggles!

Since 2017 all I have worn are my Ignites, and I have ABSOLUTELY LOVED them!
Best Freaking Goggles I have ever owned.

Can't give them a strong enough endorsement!

Premium Features