• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

488 bog and rpm range?

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
Got my old 488 out today it used to be my brothers this was my first time ever riding it. I bogged very bad on the bottom end and would only rap up to 6500_7000 rpm and then fade a few seconds later back to 6000 ? Any ideas where to start as far as jetting and carburetion? Running 6500_8500 feet. On a sad note I did manage to to over a blind hill and off a 40` drop and busted the shock mount and trailing arm bolt off in the bulk head and bent it. I was planning to use this motor for a lightweight back up sled for me and a sled for the wife but I guess the build will start early!! Time to tear it apart will be dropping all unnecessary weight and making parts from chromoly and carbon fiber. I'll start a build thread when I get it apart and decide for sure what direction I'm going with it.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I would take the carbs off and remove the pilot jets and main jets to clean them thoroughly. Also clean any small carburetor passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. There could be some blockages caused by gasoline evaporating in them. Check the float levels and when you reinstall the carbs check the carburetor synchronization to make sure both slides have the same gap from the bottom of the carb throat and they both start to open at the same time.
Check the rubber carburetor adapter boots for cracks which would cause air leaks.
For jetting I would start with the recommended jetting in the owner's manual and fine tune from there.

Premium Features