• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

.338 Cheytac

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
Selling my .338 Cheytac. Dont use it as much as I should. Built by me at Mac's Gunworks. Barely been shot. Kicks very much like a .243 and is very accurate. This will whipe the floor with a .50BMG. And is currently holding a world record at 2000 yards with an 8 shot group.

Mcrea stock
Lawton Limited Action
Harris 9-12" bipods
40moa Picatinny rail
XTR rings
Jewell bottom safety trigger (wind blows right she goes off)
2 ATI magazines
Mac tac break
Ceramic coated
Reloading dies
20 pieces of brass
Reloading data and ballistic information

I have chosen not to sell the Nightforce 12x42x56 NXS scope with it. I want to put it on another gun. I can build another one of these any time I want, just not shooting it and will make a deal for someone who's serious about shooting. This gun will kill elk out past a mile very easily. Bullets dont start to drop till around 500 yards with current setup :) Will get pics after the weekend. My gun works and im a direct dealer with the only person who makes actions for Cheytac and know the man who developed the Cheytac round and have access to ballistic information :face-icon-small-hap

If you buy this gun I will sell you a scope at dealer cost if im a dealer for the manufacturer. I would only put a nightforce on this gun.

Was going to put a silencer on the weapon if it doesnt sell.

Nate

Last edited:
N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Second guessing to even sell after the weekend :rolleyes::eek: She rocked! Gonna start building 2 more. 1 in .338 and the other in .375

Thanks for all of the inquiries, will get pics up ASAP, I still need to take the scope off! Tired from the weekend :(

snowblind

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
los angeles
www.mtnX.com
you really think that the grouping accuracy of a 338 outweighs the punch of a 750 grain 50?
I have the 338 short and obviously nothing like the 338 cheytac
do you have a 50 right now?
how can that 338 feel like a 243?
my 338 short hits harder as a 12 guage. My 458 socom feels like a 10 guage and the big boy gives me a headache after 15 rounds.

LEAVE THE SCOPE ON. it sucks to sight in the big bore long range rifles :)

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
you really think that the grouping accuracy of a 338 outweighs the punch of a 750 grain 50?
I have the 338 short and obviously nothing like the 338 cheytac
do you have a 50 right now?
how can that 338 feel like a 243?
my 338 short hits harder as a 12 guage. My 458 socom feels like a 10 guage and the big boy gives me a headache after 15 rounds.

LEAVE THE SCOPE ON. it sucks to sight in the big bore long range rifles :)

Yes indeed I do. I shoot a Lost River Ballistics 300gr that puts me at a 1.1 BC. I punch it at 3400 and am showing no signs of pressure. Its a very accurate round, deadly accurate.

I used to have a Barrett Single shot .50. Was a very very fun gun, but Cheytac Industries has indeed made the .50 obsolete for a long range weapon. The .50 is good for the whollop of taking down a vehicle.

The .338 can feel like a .243 just by adding a break, and a mercury reducer lug in the stock. I can shoot it all day :eek:. My partner has been building long range weapons for quite some time, anymore, thats all we do. We built a gun just like this over a year ago. It was one of the very first .338 Cheytacs. After we got it dialed, we knew that it was something special.

The .375 is far more accurate, but I like the .338's because of the bullet choices, availabilities, and speed of course.

It is indeed one hell of a rifle to shoot. Still working on pictures.

Cheytac didnt develope the Cheytac round, Dave Viers in NB did. And Cheytac dont even make their actions, Barney Lawton does :) We happen to be very good friends with both :D Its sorta like rubbing shoulders with Brad Story and Chris Burandt. What makes Cheytac so special is their stock design and their ballistic software matched to there patented reticle system.

Last edited:

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
Ohh ya.. you think thats cool..

Well I've got a bb gun that shoots stuff out to 300 yards with open sight.. so:p

hahah :D

B

Benstuck

Feb 2, 2008
to revantor

Well if it was not designed to be very accurate you should have told Carlos Hathcock that when he droped a NVA at 1800 yards with a single shot from a Browning 50. 750 gr. beats the he!! out of 300 any day.:)

D
Jan 13, 2009
Spokane

Thats a sweet rifle. I wish i had that kind of money to spend i would buy it in a heart beat and show my buddy how it is done. He shoots a nice rifle as well but nothing like that. Its a 30-378 wby and he is good to a 1000 yds but to be able to shoot past that would be awsome and still have the kill power. Very nice

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
It is the Tan one with Snakeskin camo. Scope not pictured due to military reasons and Bipods are off.

gunrw0.jpg

gun2ud7.jpg

gun3jl2.jpg

Last edited:
S
Feb 11, 2008
what's the weight

Just curios what the weight of that gun is with the nightforce? I have a friend with the 375 and the nightforce and is just under 16 pounds( to heavy for me to carry around hunting)

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Its 14.2 unloaded.

Barney when he was alive would do the Titanium action and carbon barrel with the lone wolf stock, loaded up ready to go it was around 10lbs with the NF scope. Run ya about $20g's though.

I dont mind packing it, but when an animal is down I dont like packing it and quarters of the animal.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
"A good wolf.....is a wolf put into 4 pieces by a large caliber at an astronomical distance: CheyTac Industries "

That's kick ***!!

A

ARTIC CAT BUM

Dec 8, 2007
Hansen,Idaho
408 cheytac

I just bought a 408 and I haven't got to Shoot it yet, I shoot alot of 375 H&H that is what I use to shot Elk, Grizzly,Moose all the time...I would love to learn more about my cheytac,I just had to have one...

Premium Features