• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2Moto vs snox snowbikes?????

G
Jan 19, 2008
I haven't rode either yet, but plan on buying one of them I believe. Found a rep that will let me ride the snox and the dealer in town is doing a demo on the 2moto this weekend. From what they have told me it sounds like the snox is better on the trail and the 2moto beats it in the deeper snow. Snox is cheaper and easier to install cause you don't remove the swing arm and air box, just like changing the wheel.

Any experienced thoughts would help!!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Each kit will sell itself on it's tributes, they all work different in conditions.

If you get a chance to ride the ADB Explorer, imagine it's ski combined with the 2Moto's rear, could be a winner!:face-icon-small-win

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
ride em'

so ya gotta ride them to figure it out. i have the 2moto kit but bought it before the explorer was really out and i had a chance to take it for a spin. the 2moto is tons of fun and i've heard good things about the explorer.

as for the install: no problem. i have a WR450 and it take a couple hours if i'm focused just on swapping. I take the time to service the bike at the same time so I know everything on the bike's suspension gets attention at least 2x each year... too easy.

not sure where you're at or what bike you're putting it on but if you're near boise id. PM me and we can link up. i'm thinking i'm going to sell my 2moto kit to upgrade/update so... could be a good deal depending on your bike.

see ya and welcome to the club,

Hauler

C
Dec 10, 2009
N/A
not sure where you're at or what bike you're putting it on but if you're near boise id. PM me and we can link up. i'm thinking i'm going to sell my 2moto kit to upgrade/update so... could be a good deal depending on your bike.

see ya and welcome to the club,

Hauler

You selling your kit sledhauler?? Whats the upgrade/update you thinking about?

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
talking to a couple dealer types that think husky or bergs are the way to go... kinda thinking the "all seasons, all hazards" weapon would be pretty cool. not sure if that is doable but maybe.

if that is the case, i'm gonna do all new everything. 2moto setup for winter, motox/desert/single track wheels and tires with a seperate wheel/tire set for streets so i can ride to work. not really thinking i'll be racing this at ISDE but good for a day with the boys doing the high speed 2wheel tango in the mtns or desert. bonus would be light duty, short trips around town. added to that is MORE power for the snow!

its this or a FI bike with turbo if i'm gonna keep riding single ski. i've found the limits for this system and want more. and that is how mods are born. :face-icon-small-hap

Ps. i'm selling my Gen II ski (4 rides on it) so if you know someone looking..

H

C
Dec 10, 2009
N/A
its this or a FI bike with turbo if i'm gonna keep riding single ski. i've found the limits for this system and want more. and that is how mods are born. :face-icon-small-hap

H

I know what you mean, if I had the funds my bike would have a turbo and PCV on it for sure!!! Have you ridden a Husaberg?? If you are considering the 650 I would definitely try to demo one before you make your decision. I rode one helping out with a demo in Twin and I came away less than impressed. What bikes are you thinking about?

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
H

The only bike i've seen pulling that track kit not too bad is a CR500. When I say not too bad I mean the guy could shift 1-2-3-4 pretty much how he wanted. Would pull hills with 1' of powder no prob.

But still, a 600HO Snow-Hawk will just whip circles around that thing and pull from it so far it make it just look ridiculous.

My advice : Don't go Turbo bike, go 800cc Snow-Hawk. These bike kits are like comparing scooters to Superbikes. It really is. Scooters have always been lot of fun though.

Ok enough of my Anti-Christ manners now, gotta leave for Utah... !

Peace !

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
The only bike i've seen pulling that track kit not too bad is a CR500. When I say not too bad I mean the guy could shift 1-2-3-4 pretty much how he wanted. Would pull hills with 1' of powder no prob.

But still, a 600HO Snow-Hawk will just whip circles around that thing and pull from it so far it make it just look ridiculous.

My advice : Don't go Turbo bike, go 800cc Snow-Hawk. These bike kits are like comparing scooters to Superbikes. It really is. Scooters have always been lot of fun though.

Ok enough of my Anti-Christ manners now, gotta leave for Utah... !

Peace !

I have to disagree TLK.. although the Hawk is great in its own right. its no nimble bike.. many times I would prefere the 2moto over my Hawk. It all depends what your doing..just out having a good time snaking threw the trees, Ill take the 2moto..A guy just cant have one bike or one single ski..
A burg 650 will also smoke a cr500.. I know as I have the cr and a buddy has the burg.. but with that power you pay alot in what I would call slow handing charactoristics..the new burgs are a different story, rode a new 570 this last weekend.. anyone want a cr500???

G
Jan 19, 2008
I ended up making arrangements to buy a used 2moto kit. Going to put it on a CRF450R. I found a Service Honda 500AF that would have been fun, it doesn't take much to get those up in the 70+ hp range. Didn't have that much to spend though.

I had a hawk (734 big bore with about 150hp) it was a lot of fun but I broke motor mounts almost every ride. Got tired of that. Thinking the lighter wieght of the snowbike will be a blast in the trees and on harder spring snow. Hawk wasn't fun on hard snow, too top and front end heavy.

Any other moto riders around Pocatello/Idaho Falls that anyone know of.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
Hawk wasn't fun on hard snow, too top and front end heavy.

Hawk not fun on hard snow? I couldn't disagree more. Its the most exhilarating aggressive machine I have ever ridden.

As for the Hawk versus Conversion kits. If I was kicking around in small areas I would get a kit but I live on a serious network of trails that lead to back country powder everywhere so the Hawk is the choice.

If I was to choose a kit it would be the Explorer, the soul reason being the ski. On Hard and groomed snow the "Twin Axis" device that allows you to lean, while keeping the ski flat on the snow is superior. I am amazed at how well it holds under the heavy loads the hawk can put down. The Hawk and Explorer share the same ski system.

Last edited:
S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
good thoughts

man this is a good conversation on the same stuff i've been wrestling with for a couple years now... glad i'm not alone on not having the "perfect solution" I have a sled that is sweet and i'm can't bring myself to let go of the days that a sled is the ONLY thing that will go up thru some of the areas we find ourselves in. IF i have the option to side hill up, i have had good success climbing some insane stuff on the bike. where as i love the 'face shots" i get in the deep pow on my sled, there is simply no way it can go where the bike goes in the tight trees and crazy sidehill lines. hate to think the only real answer is to own both.

the other thing that is kinda lame is the number (or rather lack there of) of other single ski guys in a given area. riding with sled buddies is fine but the differences play out as the day goes on... sometimes good for the bike sometimes (like last ride) good for the sled.

at $4000 and change (I would have the bike either way so i don't count that) its kinda an expensive "option." know what i mean?

as to the question about the new bikes i'm considering... I think riding a bike tells you more than you can read or hear about. like i always say, 2 bikes can cross the scales with the same weight but ride TOTALLY different. power band (and amount), center of gravity, rotatiing mass, suspension... all have huge affects on how it "feels." with over 30 years of riding dirt, street and now snow, I have always shy'd away from the dual sport bikes... they don't do dirt or street very well. the compromises they make to do both are exactly why i wasn't interested... then. now i'm not a racer (never was much good anyway) and going a million miles an hour has given way to loving the time on the trails with my kids, i might like them a bit. to that end, the bullet bikes aren't as comfortable as they used to be... but i love the speed!

thinking maybe the adventure riding thing would be cool... only 5-10 years before i retire and then i could go exploring and fishin'. either way, i want to have it all paid for by then so i can focus my funds on travel costs.

WOW that was a really long post. sorry for the ramble and hope i didn't make too many spelling/gramar errors.

see ya,

Hauler :face-icon-small-hap

G
Jan 19, 2008
I owned a hawk for 4 years and got to where I could ride the crap out of the thing, and yes, it was not fun at all on hard snow. Haven't rode the moto yet but the difference would be like mounting the dirt bike motor on top of the front fender, then see how well it corners. Hawk was great with a even 6" of powder, and when the snow was hard you just headed to the trees where sleds couldn't go and found soft snow there. But I got sick of working on the hawk and waiting for weeks and weeks if you ever needed parts. Hoping this will be a better option.

G
Jan 19, 2008
forgot the main reason for my post, "the ski being the best part of the explorer" That stock bannana ski on the hawk was the biggest pile of garbage I've ever seen. That was the first thing to go and if I rode an explorer that would also be the first to go. In powder of slushy snow it points straight up in the air and just pushes. Hated it.

C
Dec 10, 2009
N/A
I ended up making arrangements to buy a used 2moto kit. Going to put it on a CRF450R. I found a Service Honda 500AF that would have been fun, it doesn't take much to get those up in the 70+ hp range. Didn't have that much to spend though.

I had a hawk (734 big bore with about 150hp) it was a lot of fun but I broke motor mounts almost every ride. Got tired of that. Thinking the lighter wieght of the snowbike will be a blast in the trees and on harder spring snow. Hawk wasn't fun on hard snow, too top and front end heavy.

Any other moto riders around Pocatello/Idaho Falls that anyone know of.

Yeah I'm going to school in Rexburg, I go up to Island Park almost every weekend. Where do you go ride at, I have have kind of wanted to find some new areas close by.

C
Dec 10, 2009
N/A
as to the question about the new bikes i'm considering... I think riding a bike tells you more than you can read or hear about. like i always say, 2 bikes can cross the scales with the same weight but ride TOTALLY different. power band (and amount), center of gravity, rotatiing mass, suspension... all have huge affects on how it "feels." with over 30 years of riding dirt, street and now snow, I have always shy'd away from the dual sport bikes... they don't do dirt or street very well. the compromises they make to do both are exactly why i wasn't interested... then. now i'm not a racer (never was much good anyway) and going a million miles an hour has given way to loving the time on the trails with my kids, i might like them a bit. to that end, the bullet bikes aren't as comfortable as they used to be... but i love the speed!

Hauler, I know exactly what you mean about having to ride the bike to really see what its like. We are riding this weekend in Twin Falls near Diamond Field Jack you are more than welcome to come join us and I will let you have at my 09 Honda. Sounds like your in a hard place to find a bike that is going to suit you. Let us know what your choices are I have ridden alot of bikes with 2moto's and will give you my input :thumb:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
ski ?????

forgot the main reason for my post, "the ski being the best part of the explorer" That stock bannana ski on the hawk was the biggest pile of garbage I've ever seen. That was the first thing to go and if I rode an explorer that would also be the first to go. In powder of slushy snow it points straight up in the air and just pushes. Hated it.

the stock ski? are you talking about the original 2002 SH ski or the 2006 ski that is the current option for hawk and explorer kit. I just got back from a 14 day snow hawk/bike adventure. I rode in many different types of snow on a wide variety of machines and have to say these skis work awsome in most all conditions. If you are having problems with the ski holding up the front you have something set up way wrong.

We rode near island park for a day and I must say it was the most fun I have had on the bike kits to date. Guess I just love blasting through trees that you can hardly walk through.

G
Jan 19, 2008
Got my first ride in on my 2moto last saturday. Loved it!!!! I'm a hard core dirt biker, and would have to say that these probably aren't for the guy who isn't really into bikes. Not that they are hard to ride. If fact my 12 year old boy (4'10" 75 lbs) rode my CRF450R with the 2moto. Standing on the pegs his butt is all of about 2" off the seat. He cruised around really good. Climbed some hills and stuff and could get around pretty dang good, especially for someone who was about a foot short of being able to touch the ground. Wish I got figure out how to get my video of him uploaded.

I liked the 2moto better than my hawk, although I really liked my Hawk as well. Main reason I got rid of it was reliability and ability to get parts. A hawk is better in the deeper snow faster conditions. The bike is infinantly more nimble in tighter conditions and is a riot in what would be considered crappy sledding snow conditions. Low snow or hard snow is great. Just like riding a dirt bike in the summer in the mountains but with no underbrush, logs or rocks and you don't have to stay on the trails. In fact I ended up riding a lot of the same trails in the winter that I ride in the summer. With the bike I can ride 20 minutes from my house in lower mountains that is crappy for sledding and it's perfect for the bike instead of driving 2 hours to get to steep and deep on a sled. Saves 20 gallons of diesel per trip and over 3 hours of drive time per trip. Now I can take off early from work on a week day at like 2pm and still get a great ride in. Can't do that on a sled.

Premium Features