• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

28mm belt drive longevity

M
Jan 5, 2018
I'm currently running an 18 cmx with the 21mm belt drive. I break a belt each year and this year I broke 2. It's not the end of the world but just inconvenent. Also belt prices have increased quite a bit over the last couple years.

So I'm curious if any yeti or cmx guys running the 28mm belts have had any issues? Any reason you have had to change belts? The price of the upgrade is substantial, actually it's probably not worth it strictly based on price, but if I never have to touch the belt again it's worth thinking about.

Thanks.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I had a cmx for a couple seasons and never broke a 28mm. But i don’t have a good handle on how many hours i rode it either.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Sounds like you are over tensioning the belt. You want 3/8" of deflection under reasonable finger pressure on the belt.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
dumping the clutch is very hard on chains and belt, Rekluse is much easier to the whole drive system , I have 196 hours on belt and still looks new on a 137SS with rekluse

AK1000

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Anchortown
I have an easy 90+ hours on my 1st belt before it went on myYeti 129, couple CMX in our group went thru a belt this year also but have to be 50-60+ hours before they did.
I dump the clutch all the time and they said the belt shock is what breaks them, also the shock from hitting things at speed.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
45 hours on my 28mm with some track/jumps and landing on hard pack with the throttle pinned. the chain did some serious stretching but the belt didn't stretch or break. For the cost of belts and the connivance of it I would upgrade and get the 28mm on your bike.

L
Dec 14, 2007
Mtn. Home, ID
I picked up a 18CMX few years ago. It already had the track upgraded to the current track. In the fluff 21mm held up fine. When spring arrived it was a completely different story. I broke a couple belts Immediately after unloading. Upgraded to the 28mm set up and have not broke a belt yet. Upgrade hurts a little. Sitting in the truck or going back home while buddies are riding hurts a lot more

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
belt weight 4 oz. easy to swap out and or carry, much faster track speed and higher RPM.No stretch ever and no rust or lube, no mess. Its free HP and track speed.even the 21 mm were solid with rekluse, The 28 super strong, Never wore juan out or broke, On 3 rd year original Yeti belt and over 190 hrs with no intentions replacing still looks new. We Hammer these bike very hard "

Last edited:
Premium Features