• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

22 expert turbo vs 23 edge

ThePennySaved

Lifetime Membership
Nov 9, 2017
AK
He is keeping the expert he ordered and is putting the t-motion suspension in it from the dealer, I don't know what that will be like with the non flex track, so i was not willing to gamble
I did the same calculus and came to the same result you did. I rode a demo expert, didn’t love it, and changed my snowcheck to an X.

That said, I would have preferred the expert shock package and a couple other goodies, but that can be remedied with a revalve, etc.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Yes I preffered the t-motion to rigid, especially when the snow is marginal, like less than a foot and a half. in the deep they all ride well, but when it is maginal then initiation is harder, yes bigger guys will not notice this as much but Theo who is over 200 did as well. He is keeping the expert he ordered and is putting the t-motion suspension in it from the dealer, I don't know what that will be like with the non flex track, so i was not willing to gamble, I want an easy riding sled as it allows you to get into harder and deeper spots. I have no issue sidehilling steep side hills with the t-motion. Whatever guys order they will probably love as they just get use to it, but when riding back to back you do notice these details.
Thank you Dave. This makes perfect sense. Some will love it and some will hate it. Choices are good, if you make the right one.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
Since 2018 I´ve been riding doos with t-motion and ones with rear arm locked. Personally I like my rear arm locked, but can understand riders who do not.

Deeper and softer the snow is, more you can benefit from the t-motion. Less effort on carvin, faster and lighter manuverability. In other words, more track speed you can carry while riding, t-motion claimed unstability is not gonna be that much of an issue. But on hard packed snow, and when there is layers, you might get problems holding the line. Old tracks and changes on snow pack can throw the sled on unexpected directions. That doesnt give you the confidence you might need when going full speed while skis are scratching the trees.

If you ride 165" or even 174", t-motion definately makes the sled more agile and faster to manouver. Negative qualities like unstability are not that much of a concern as with 154" or even 146". On 146" t-motion is definately an overkill as track lenght isnt enough for deepest and steepest conditions anyway. With 154", it really comes to a riders prerefence, riding style and conditions if you should have it locked or not.

Here where we ride, conditions change a lot during the season. With locked rear arm, I feel the sled is not that sensitive for those snow pack changes. I can trust that sled will allways behaves the same way.

But its great that Doo has options nowdays. You can tune your sled either way you want it as there is official option for locking or unlocking the rear arm. After all its a personal preference.

One really interesting thing for 2023 is the new Pilot DS-4 ski on expert. Old DS-3 has it problems, especially when there are layers on snow pack. Seems to be that new ski has more straight profile, as old DS-3 is a lot more curved. Should be more stabile even on hard packed snow and especially on higher speeds. Seems to be that DS-4 is something between DS-3 and Lynx Blade DS+ ski, but hard to tell before I get some miles on real conditions. We will see if its gonna be a stantard for other deep snow lineup too for 2024.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
"Deeper and softer the snow is, more you can benefit from the t-motion."
that's an interesting statement because i figured the softer the snow the less of a difference t motion makes because it's easier to initiate getting on edge anyway. in other words, if all one did is ride in powder how would you know the diff if you had t motion or not?
i can see where t-mo would make a difference in hard pack since it's harder to get on edge.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
You did cut out the important part, maybe I should have added a colon

"Deeper and softer the snow is, more you can benefit from the t-motion: Less effort on carvin, faster and lighter manuverability"

Yes, carving is lighter on hard packed snow with t-motion compared to rigid rear arm. But soft snow pack is forgiving, hard is not. On harder snow t-motion is really unpredictable, and that is the key issue. Truth is that in best conditions difference between t-motion and rigid rear arm isnt too big. I wish we had those optimal conditions longer troughout the season.

We have and have had many different types of sleds on our riding group, with t-motion and with locked rear arm. So it has been easy to compare different setups on different conditions.

Last edited:
D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
Especially with 34" front end, I see no benefit on t-motion. Sled is so easy to tip over and manouver that it needs no t-motion.

That being said, if you are riding a freeride with 36" or 38" front arms and stiffer shocks, t-motion definately makes sled lighter to manouver.

Last edited:

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
yeah i'm on a freeride with skis set to narrow, disconnected sway bar, and typically have shocks set to medium. i'd love to be able to narrow the front end but i don't believe it's possible. i need to try out a rigid skid one of these days.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
yeah i'm on a freeride with skis set to narrow, disconnected sway bar, and typically have shocks set to medium. i'd love to be able to narrow the front end but i don't believe it's possible. i need to try out a rigid skid one of these days.

You can use the same front shocks if you swap to 34" front end, shocks are the same lenght on 36" and 34".

I had 2021 Freeride 850Turbo, I allways felt shocks were way too stiff for treeriding. One way to fix this would be to use expert springs especially on front shocks.

Premium Features