• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 catalyst

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
I know i know those are RMK’s
But i wanted to post these to show just how similar the pro-ride and axys really are 2011-2021. 10 years on a chassis. And I can’t find a “naked” picture of a matryx we can agree the matryx is the most different with new tunnel and running boards. But my point being for the throller.
They’ve all done the 10 year stretch of a chassis.
If you really look at it. Cat is the only one that did a rear suspension total change in that time.
Witch one of these pictures is the axys?
you cant say these things dont you understand that every 45 minutes they release a new game changing revolutionary piece of technology that includes but is not limited to more flickable chassis made of pure helium. its only arctic cat that is still on an updated 1975 panther chassis, and if you dont believe me just read a doo or poo forum they will tell you how heavy and underpowered the cast iron cat is.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
the REV was revolutionary and game changer. Ever since then it is small refinements from all the brands, some have thin skin about it haha. Really when you think of it how much can a chassis really change it gets to a point where just simple plastics and a tweak here and there is all that is needed.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Rev was a ditchbanger sled. sidehill was not in the vocabulary until the 4th generation of bandaids haha, love those sleds just sayin.
05 M7 was revolutionary, smaller CC when the others were trying big bores, history might be repeating

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I know i know those are RMK’s
But i wanted to post these to show just how similar the pro-ride and axys really are 2011-2021. 10 years on a chassis. And I can’t find a “naked” picture of a matryx we can agree the matryx is the most different with new tunnel and running boards. But my point being for the throller.
They’ve all done the 10 year stretch of a chassis.
If you really look at it. Cat is the only one that did a rear suspension total change in that time.
Witch one of these pictures is the axys?
The Axys was like 95% different parts. And it is night and day better than the Pro, far from a reskin.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
The Axys was like 95% different parts. And it is night and day better than the Pro, far from a reskin.
And here we have the typical Polaris and doo Koolaid drinker.
Not sure in want order they pictures are in. But the one with the red is the axys the other is a 2013 pro rmk.
The lightest of all the years at 408lbs.
95% new parts is a marketing way of speaking. Look at the picture it’s the same bulkhead same tunnel same same same.
Matryx has been the most different but it’s the same bull head and front frame and over structure just the tunnel and running boards are changed.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Not sure in want order they pictures are in. But the one with the red is the axys the other is a 2013 pro rmk.
95% new parts is a marketing way of speaking. Look at the picture it’s the same bulkhead same tunnel same same same.
Matryx has been the most different but it’s the same bull head and front frame and over structure just the tunnel and running boards are changed.
You are wrong, the one with the red is clearly the Pro. 95% new parts may be the “marketing way of speaking” but 95% is 95% fan boy.

The Axys geometrically is far different from the Pro. Try interchanging the tunnel, skid, over structure, and front end and let me know how it goes.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Gen 4 and the Axys where ground up new sleds form both manufacturers, facts are facts. In the pro vs Axys chassis pics it’s super obvious they are different and which chassis is which. Cat ran with the same skeleton since 2012. The proclimb was a step back for mountain riders, watch the video cat even says so them selves. They put fix after fix to that chassis every year to improve it. Having a chassis that would except such a broad spectrum of engines (4 stroke and 2 stroke) limited what cat could do. I hope the Yamaha and cat 4 strokes where left off the table for design purposes with catalyst.

T
Oct 16, 2017
This just in. Snowmobiles continue to be snowmobile shaped.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If it matters, the red one has the scalloped hyfax which was not offered on the Pro series.
The red is definitely the Pro.
Look at the rails, A-arm, spindles. Those are clearly different, and recognized by the masses. The tunnel and overstructure are different but harder to recognize.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
The one with the red is the PRO chassis, axys doesnt have the red brace by the rear suspension mount. Axys running boards also sit higher. The tunnel isnt as deep at the PRO chassis. Axys also has refined suspension and taller spindles. They may look similar but are very different in the way they ride.

I really liked my 2020 Alpha. It did react quickly and did very well in deep snow. But it was unpredictable in more set up snow and would wash out easily if you werent paying attention. Mine was a 154 that had about 35lbs dropped from it and had an elevate kit. So i basically wanted to wheelie everywhere. It was alot of fun in good snow, but way too unpredictable in less stallar conditions. So i went back to an axys. For me they just are more predictable and hold a steep sidehill better.

I am excited to see what the catalyst brings to the table. But until then ill be on a polaris. But never a ski-doo

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i still think they are on to something with the center rail skids. kmod and cat.
just waiting on polaris...

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
i still think they are on to something with the center rail skids. kmod and cat.
just waiting on polaris...

They’re on something, and it’s called drugs haha
Seriously tho the mono only works in “good snow”. Variable snow? forget about any technical or aggressive riding, it will wash or sometimes wash then high side on the low side. I really hope they offer a twin rail catalyst, cause if they do I’ll buy one, it looks great other then the mono rail imo

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i got worn down following one cross a steep sidehill or two last spring, i know they can wash if they hit an unexpected hard spot or something but it took him obvious less effort than me. this new stiffer chassis as well as polaris' stiffer chassis, different mount location more centralized mass for control... who knows.
lots of guys have two sleds for different conditions. favorite youtubers, buradnt ect

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

Belt Drive

Just for the record (because we respect the techo-knowledge of our readers and viewers), when we say belt drive we mean the final drive from the jack shaft to the drive axle. The CVT belt is in its traditional location. The move to belt drive is smart. The entire Catalyst project had lightness as one of its foundational tenets. Ditching the chaincase, cover, chain, tensioner and other assorted fasteners, not to mention the need to dump the chain oil when changing tracks, is quite simply, a huge win. Snowmobilers will remember Polaris has used a similar belt drive on specific RMK models.

Light Weight

The Catalyst has gone through a major dietary process and it extended to every piece of the sled. The belt drive is a big contributor to the claimed 10-percent weight loss. Anecdotally, we suspect the 10-percent number translates to almost 50 pounds. The new one-piece front bulkhead saves weight and lowers the overall parts count.

The new composite fiber running boards are lighter than aluminum and provide improved grip. The sled’s wiring harness has been rationalized to save one pound. The overall reality of weight loss is seen in the blanket reduction of actual bodywork and chassis dimensions. The sled is simply smaller overall. The Catalyst uses substantially fewer fasteners – which one-by-one, add up to weight savings.

Gas Tank

This feature intrigues the fertile minds here at Supertrax/SnowTrax world headquarters. The new fuel tank is shaped to reduce fuel sloshing. The idea here is that when you accelerate, a flat bottom fuel tank allows the fuel to surge to the rear and the opposite effect is true under braking. By designing the fuel tank to resist for and aft sloshing means the sled will be more stable under all riding conditions. Cool idea.

Centralized Mass

For sure, every engaged snowmobiler has heard of this fundamental chassis design principle. By moving the jackshaft, drive axle and crankshaft centerline closer to one another and, more importantly, slightly rearward, the gyroscopic effect of rotating mass from the three spinning shafts becomes more easily managed by the rider.

Also, positioning this group of parts closer together – which comprise a substantial amount of weight – the sled flies straighter, stays level and corners more predictably. The rider effectively becomes more a part of the sled. This design cue is in play in both Ski-Doo’s G-5 and the Polaris MATRYX.

ALPHA

The M-Series Catalyst uses Arctic Cat’s unique, proprietary ALPHA single beam skid. While the setup is lighter in actual build weight there’s another important detail at play. The ALPHA skid sheds snow more efficiently than any other vertical-specific snowmobile.

Arctic Cat makes a lot of hay about this as the more snow the skid carries, the heavier it becomes is in real-world riding conditions. Truth is, this is a legit weight carving feature.

That’s a round up on the Catalyst for now. There’s still more to talk about and we’ll be doing just that in the near future.

High points from a Supertrax article I referenced in the Catalyst info thread that Christopher started. According to them the Alpha skid is being held onto for weight loss. I've heard that engineering knows a twin rail model has a place along with the monorail, but hard convincing the brass that it would sell as well. Seems there were reports end of last year that the 2.86 pitch 2.6 lug Alpha track was working much better in marginal snow conditions than the original 3.5 pitch 3 lug Alpha track. So maybe that's a solution too. Hopefully the new chassis is happier all around with the monorail.

My personal experience the Alpha takes much less effort rolling side to side, but the twin rail is more predictable and overall less tiring when the snowpack is variable.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
From what I could find online, the m6 Alpha weighed 466lbs dry, and that's an e-start only model. A 10% weight loss, or 46.6lbs, puts it at 419.4 lbs dry. If the new one is also e-start, that's pretty impressive. If not, it's still pretty good but most of the weight loss comes from elimination of e-start.

If you apply the 10% weight loss to the 800 at 446lbs with no e-start, you lose 44.6lbs, putting it at 401.4lbs which would make it the lightest mountain sled ever made, a pretty impressive feat for Cat.

Premium Features