• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 RMK

Golanda

Lifetime Membership
Aug 18, 2015
Bozeman Mt & Pinedale WY
Factory 900 (much like the Carl's) in 2023

C
Dec 14, 2020
That's crazy how much that cost! Wish snowmobile stuff was like car stuff lol!

Market size

Sled parts are generally low volume production built mostly by hand with the help of jigs. Not enough volume involved to setup automated fab lines.

Say Polaris built 20000 850 sleds. How many people are going to do the 900? Maybe 2000?

Now look at car manufacturers. Ford sells 250000 mustangs yearly, how many people are going to want to modify them?

P
Dec 15, 2018
I know but after hot rodding sbc's my whole life this is just crazy ! I get it though and the world would not be better with millions of snowmobiles (in the woods!) Lol!

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Get a 20' trailer, it's what I've got, and I wouldn't get anything less. 16' wall and 4' V, cabinet in the V, front and rear ramps, and it's cramped with 2 - 155" sleds. It's also 6" taller for side x sides, and over the tires, so full 8' width, and still cramped.
I have the same trailer. Mirage mid deck with the interior wheel wells and put (3) 165s in no problem. Two sleds and I still have plenty of room for my propane heater and changing. Used to have a 12' box, 6' V Charmac and squeezed three 165s in it all the time.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Where is the polaris video of 2 stroke on dyno?
There's a link in the "just another BNG year" thread; I was going to paste it here, but it doesn't go to the video anymore. It was just a very dimly lit video of an engine doing a dyno pull, but it was definitely a 2-stroke.

That's crazy how much that cost! Wish snowmobile stuff was like car stuff lol!
I guess I'm not too surprised at the price of Carl's 900 kit. Every now and then I do a custom dream build of a V-8 in a Summit Racing shopping cart, and it's hard to keep it under $10k - even for a carbureted long block - if you're using the best components. There are more budget-friendly rotating kits and such, but you can bet they're mostly Chinese-made. Anyway, the rumbling seems to be pointing at a bigger motor, and it'll be interesting to see how much power it's worth. If it is a bigger motor, I'll be most interested to see if they add stroke, or at least a combination of bore and stroke, rather than just going with a bigger bore. The 850 is already significantly over-square. I'm not sure if or what issues they'd have if Polaris went even more over-square; for reference, the Doo 850 is almost square (82x80 bore-stroke). I'm definitely not sold on the idea that they use "900" again...

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I would be happy if for the next two years Polaris and Ski Doo did nothing else but improve the quality and reliability of their sleds, that's it.

C
Dec 14, 2020
There's a link in the "just another BNG year" thread; I was going to paste it here, but it doesn't go to the video anymore. It was just a very dimly lit video of an engine doing a dyno pull, but it was definitely a 2-stroke.

I guess I'm not too surprised at the price of Carl's 900 kit. Every now and then I do a custom dream build of a V-8 in a Summit Racing shopping cart, and it's hard to keep it under $10k - even for a carbureted long block - if you're using the best components. There are more budget-friendly rotating kits and such, but you can bet they're mostly Chinese-made. Anyway, the rumbling seems to be pointing at a bigger motor, and it'll be interesting to see how much power it's worth. If it is a bigger motor, I'll be most interested to see if they add stroke, or at least a combination of bore and stroke, rather than just going with a bigger bore. The 850 is already significantly over-square. I'm not sure if or what issues they'd have if Polaris went even more over-square; for reference, the Doo 850 is almost square (82x80 bore-stroke). I'm definitely not sold on the idea that they use "900" again...

Eh, I'd rather have it over-square and keep the rod length and piston speed down. It's a big balancing act, and while the long stroke generally is great at torque in lower rpm, it can kill the top end. The way the CVT works we need it to jump to just below redline and live there all day. Generally it's easier to keep them alive with lower piston speed on a shorter stroke, coupled with the fact that the shorter stroke wants to rev quicker it works well in the application.

Anyone know what the old fusion 900 had for comparison to the Carl's?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
re: 900's - not doubting at all they are cast and available, with exhaust gear, and running in open mods, etc. Guessing that there will be no near-term release of a 900, given all the biz factors. Could be guessing dead wrong. At least the 850 has been figured out by year 4. You'd think fuel pumps would be easier.
9R is real. I was dead wrong, again. If anyone has insight into how Poo pushed the 9R through EPA to get normalized emission rated, or avoided having to get it rated based on limited build, etc., we're all ears. Maybe the cost to get rated has changed.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I have the same trailer. Mirage mid deck with the interior wheel wells and put (3) 165s in no problem. Two sleds and I still have plenty of room for my propane heater and changing. Used to have a 12' box, 6' V Charmac and squeezed three 165s in it all the time.
I can squeeze 3 in my trailer as well, but it's a Tetris exercise. I have gear hanging from walls, like to be able to walk to the tool / gear cabinet if I need to etc. 2 is lots, no need to have sleds bumping and rubbing into each other, or worse, my trailer walls.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
9R is real. I was dead wrong, again. If anyone has insight into how Poo pushed the 9R through EPA to get normalized emission rated, or avoided having to get it rated based on limited build, etc., we're all ears. Maybe the cost to get rated has changed.
I wonder too how they worked past the emissions front. I'm pretty sure that's what killed the wave of bigger motors that came out in the mid-00s. Hard telling if they found a loophole, or have made enough advances to meet current requirements. It'll be telling if Doo follows suit; the ETEC has been around a while now...

Premium Features