• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022 turbo sled weight

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Finally got around to weighing both the 2022 skidoo 850 and a 2022 Polaris boost. Pretty shocked by the outcome.

WET WEIGHTS
Polaris 532lbs
(2.75" Lugs)
11.5gallons Fuel

Ski-Doo 568lbs
(3" Lugs),
Electric SHOT Start
9 gallons Fuel

Last edited by a moderator:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I actually thought polaris with estart would be about the same weight but i guess not. Still 10 or 15 pounds heavier and you can still take 13.5 pounds out of the estart.
Doos biggest problem is their searching front end and narrowing up. If they lost a little weight, great. If not, fine. They will never get to poos weight. Heavier motor and heavier track and chassis to accommodate.

C
Mar 15, 2018
To be fair, the weight difference is about 42 pounds (because of the fuel difference) less whatever electric start would weigh (since the Dod had shot) I think "wet weight" is NOT the way they should be compared. While I agree that wet weight IS how it would be "ready to ride", if you have to pack a gas caddy because the sled doesn't carry enough fuel in the tank, the. that skews the comparison. More importantly, using "wet weight" encourages the manufactures to reduce the fuel capacity to Fien lighter weight. IMO they should be capable of carrying MORE fuel to negate the need for a fuel caddy on those long rides. If you are not issuing that much you don't HAVE to fill it. I get that wit the fuel caddy you can leave the fuel somewhere and ride without it until you need it but if if you hade a big fuel tank, you could fill it partially and put then balance in the caddy to leave somewhere. Point is, you can NEVER have TOO much fuel capacity but you CAN have too little and comparing wet weight just encourages the manufacturers to short change us on fuel capacity.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
To be fair, the weight difference is about 42 pounds (because of the fuel difference) less whatever electric start would weigh (since the Dod had shot) I think "wet weight" is NOT the way they should be compared. While I agree that wet weight IS how it would be "ready to ride", if you have to pack a gas caddy because the sled doesn't carry enough fuel in the tank, the. that skews the comparison. More importantly, using "wet weight" encourages the manufactures to reduce the fuel capacity to Fien lighter weight. IMO they should be capable of carrying MORE fuel to negate the need for a fuel caddy on those long rides. If you are not issuing that much you don't HAVE to fill it. I get that wit the fuel caddy you can leave the fuel somewhere and ride without it until you need it but if if you hade a big fuel tank, you could fill it partially and put then balance in the caddy to leave somewhere. Point is, you can NEVER have TOO much fuel capacity but you CAN have too little and comparing wet weight just encourages the manufacturers to short change us on fuel capacity.

...meh...I like the "Ready to Ride" weight, as this is how I'm going to ride the sled. I've never ran out of fuel on my 21 Turbo, so no need for a Jerry Can... BUT if you do need one, you usually drop it off at the end of the trail and THEN go ride!

Ace

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Wet is how they are ridden. My bet is the boost burns more fuel because it makes more power. Doesn't matter what they have for fuel if they make it all day. The only way to make comparison more fair is put estart on boost but you can put a cv customs lightweight kit in and lose 13.5 pounds and not pull rope one time. Nobody fills their tank partially. Either wet or dry. Take your pick. Wet weight doesn't encourage manufacturers to go smaller on tanks because they have to make the day. For the most part none of this really matters on someone's day. Just a talking point.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Finally got around to weighing both the 2022 skidoo 850 and a 2022 Polaris boost. Pretty shocked by the outcome.

WET WEIGHTS
Polaris 532lbs
(2.75" Lugs)
11.5gallons Fuel

Ski-Doo 568lbs
(3" Lugs),
Electric SHOT Start
9 gallons Fuel

Strange this is.
Last weekend I was riding both of these sleds.
And I have to admit, I would have GUESSED the Doo was Lighter?

Sure does seem like BRP has some real room to TRIM this girl down....

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I am betting it is the 34 inch front end. Doos were always way heavier but rode way lighter until they were both 36. Then the poo rode way lighter. Doo needs that to compensate for 16 wide track.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I just weighed all the E-start components I pulled off a Polaris. They were very close to 30lbs. So if the Polaris had E-start they would be very close. It if they both held the same amount of gas, if they both had 15” wide tracks, if they both had belt drives, etc. it’ll be very difficult to truly compare oranges to oranges here. Best we can do is compare what we have, more like comparing Granny Smith apple to red delicious apple.
End of day, both amazing sleds from the factory that are quite different even though both 850 turbos with 165 tracks.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I just weighed all the E-start components I pulled off a Polaris. They were very close to 30lbs. So if the Polaris had E-start they would be very close. It if they both held the same amount of gas, if they both had 15” wide tracks, if they both had belt drives, etc. it’ll be very difficult to truly compare oranges to oranges here. Best we can do is compare what we have, more like comparing Granny Smith apple to red delicious apple.
End of day, both amazing sleds from the factory that are quite different even though both 850 turbos with 165 tracks.

Spot on and Love the mountain sledder garage series! Keep the videos going, great YouTube channel!

Premium Features