• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022 Polaris Turbo Matryx..

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
How are they playing catch up? Skidoo even with their turbo can't win a hillclimb race to save thier life. Look at the current hillclimb
season. I ride with all Ski Doos every weekend, they are great sleds and out number all other brands here, but the current 850 RMK out of the box works well.

They rushed the 850 engine to market, and paid big consequences for it. Lots of problems, that were all addressed in the next model year.. after customer R&D. I refuse to believe they had 5 years of testing on this engine. If they did, that engine shouldn't have had the problems that it did.

Now they really want to put a turbo out there, simply because Ski-doo did it first. I will be very surprised if they do it right the first time.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with the rmk.. I would bet my next sled will be a hold over axys. I'm just saying Polaris jumps the gun, and then makes it better in the long run.

I have owned a few Polaris snowmobiles, and I currently own all ski-doo.. but I am not a ski-doo fan boy. I have no problem listing the issues I have with my ski-doo, and I have no problem hoping back on an axys for a while.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
They had problems but i know a bunch that didn't. Skidoo had belt problems in 17 but my wife's never did blow a belt in 2 years and i rode it a bunch in stellar powder. I also sold my t axys and bought a 17 and rode for a year. Had it in a storm that i ran it out of gas in 4 hours. Never shut it down. Never blew a belt. Everyone griping about series 8 and i have never tightened the track. Track is awesome.
Everyone griping about the alpha rail, track and hifax and never even tighten track. People griping about doo not stout enough because they were riding on rocks. My buddy blew his 19 850 in 50 miles and polaris took care of him immediately. Only hear the bad.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
They had problems but i know a bunch that didn't. Skidoo had belt problems in 17 but my wife's never did blow a belt in 2 years and i rode it a bunch in stellar powder. I also sold my t axys and bought a 17 and rode for a year. Had it in a storm that i ran it out of gas in 4 hours. Never shut it down. Never blew a belt. Everyone griping about series 8 and i have never tightened the track. Track is awesome.
Everyone griping about the alpha rail, track and hifax and never even tighten track. People griping about doo not stout enough because they were riding on rocks. My buddy blew his 19 850 in 50 miles and polaris took care of him immediately. Only hear the bad.
Yes that is true.

I've experienced the bad with Polaris as well, on multiple sleds.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy a new 2nd model year Polaris.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
So what if they only come with a 1 year? My 2020.5 was only a year and everyone gave doo a pass. I still think 2021 was 2 years and 2022 is now 3. Polaris's track record does kind of suck but i was always lucky and they went down after i sold them. Doo had some really bad years. It's just been longer so people forgot. I don't blame people for waiting but you aren't getting any younger.
I bought a sled from phatty. He blew the belt one day and the motor the next. Took something stupid like 55 days to get a motor in it. That would put a sour taste in your mouth. The dealer gave him another sled to ride.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
They rushed the 850 engine to market, and paid big consequences for it. Lots of problems, that were all addressed in the next model year.. after customer R&D. I refuse to believe they had 5 years of testing on this engine. If they did, that engine shouldn't have had the problems that it did.

Now they really want to put a turbo out there, simply because Ski-doo did it first. I will be very surprised if they do it right the first time.

I didn't say there is anything wrong with the rmk.. I would bet my next sled will be a hold over axys. I'm just saying Polaris jumps the gun, and then makes it better in the long run.

I have owned a few Polaris snowmobiles, and I currently own all ski-doo.. but I am not a ski-doo fan boy. I have no problem listing the issues I have with my ski-doo, and I have no problem hoping back on an axys for a while.
Fact, it was on the snow five years before it was released in 2018.
So whatever comes out this year will have about 8 years of snow time, which means about 10 years of total development.
The first year issue was an assembly line issue traced to a specific employee in a specific period of time. It wasn't a design issue.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Polaris had the 850 on the snow for 5 years before it was released to the public in Feb 2018.
Crazy that they still cant get the mapping correct LOL.

A turbo Matryx RMK is indeed real & it resides in a shop in Alpine, WY last I heard. Pros got to ride it few weeks ago & rumor I heard is unless they can get the pump gas tune figured out it is a no go for 2022. The race gas tune is good to go though.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

A turbo Matryx RMK is indeed real & it resides in a shop in Alpine, WY last I heard. Pros got to ride it few weeks ago & rumor I heard is unless they can get the pump gas tune figured out it is a no go for 2022. The race gas tune is good to go though.
Yes one would think they would be able to figure out the mapping on the motor THEY designed and built EIGHT years ago.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

Those who know aren't talking and those that don't are so i wouldn't put much thought into that. I know burandt has rode it and am sure adams has too. I'm sure that is what is in Keith curtis's hillclimber.

North Dakota 322

Premium Member
I heard through some voices in the dealer that the 850 turbo is 100% for sure going to happen within the next 3 years.

The only problem with them is the bottom end is not holding up to the added stress and like user- Madtown said
"A turbo Matryx RMK is indeed real & it resides in a shop in Alpine, WY"
It is Polaris testing one last time to try and blow it up, and if it lasts it will be released soon.

"A factory short tunnel is in the near future too" so my source says and refused to comment any farther on anything.

Looser lipped on the turbo than the short tunnel... hmmm

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
Does that mean you don't think we know sh!t
Seems like Scott know's what is coming and has hinted at Polaris having quite the gag order in place.
I've been on a couple of different forums with guys knowing about the next big release and all have commented on how much fun it was watching the rest of us speculate on what was to come. Some are way off, and some come scarily close.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I don't know anything but will throw my thoughts out there as well. LOL

1. Matryx Chassis.:
Well they have had them on the snow now a season. From all the reviews I have watched and read this sled is a vast improvement over over the Axys on trail and in the crossover segment. Doesn't mean that will be the case for mountain sleds. Polaris tends to build them slighlty different depending on the class.

One thing almost every reviewer noted: is how skinny they are and feel in the cockpit. And I thought the Axys seemed skinny. So taking more width out of seat and tank sounds like a good thing to me. I also hear they feel more roomy because of this and also feel more playful.

I hear a lot of people complaining about the looks. I think they look better in person but if they work better I could care a less about the looks over the Axys. They both look good to me and I'll take handling first.

2. Turbo:
I hope so. I think because of what ski-doo did this year Polaris being the big player they are needs to come out with one. However, I am not certain they can pull it off yet or not. We are not far from March 1st so it won't be long and we will be happy or disappointed.

I am surprised on some of the comments that they can not get the bottom ends to hold up where in the aftermarket world the turbos seem to last longer than many of the non turbo motors. I am thinking because in the aftermarket world they can turn the fuel up where Polaris is stuck with EPA restrictions.

The mapping has seemed to be an issue on an off with Polaris. Although I don't think my 2018 has ever had a map change or the TPS reset. My earlier pros seemed like TPS was off more than it was on.

Can't wait to see what Polaris has coming.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
The only problem with them is the bottom end is not holding up to the added stress and like user- Madtown said
There is a lot of boosted 850s out there and I have yet to hear of a bottom end failing caused from being boosted. The nice thing for the manufactures is that us users have been doing the turbo R&D and testing for them for many years with aftermarket kits, so they should already know what the weak points are when +60hp is added to a stock engine and chassis since thousands have already done it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I got my $500 sitting in a stack ready for snowcheck if we get any of the 3 options.

1> Matryx platform ( very likely)
2> Factory turbo'd machine ( a bit more skeptical )
3> Both together ( A guy can dream right? )

As mentioned above, if you've hoped on a matryx sled the cockpit room is really impressive, for mtn riding this would definately give a guy more room to work around on the sled and ride in a neutral position. Tick tock... just a few more days and we can all stop guessing.

Premium Features