• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2022 Expert 34 Inch Front End Thoughts

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for the video. I'd like to try the 34 inch front end, but I'm surprised Doo would narrow the front end and not narrow the sled's side panels too.

I looked at a Polaris and a Doo yesterday, side by side. The Polaris is about 4 inches narrower than the Doo, with each having the 36 inch front ends. I have a hard time picturing the Doo with the 34 inch front end not paneling-out at times/dragging more in the snow when it's on its side

What did you find Dave?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
it probably does panel out more but for me that's not a big deal. i priced out the parts and it looks like it's about 500 dollars to convert plus some of that cost could be reduced by selling the old a-arms.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
it probably does panel out more but for me that's not a big deal. i priced out the parts and it looks like it's about 500 dollars to convert plus some of that cost could be reduced by selling the old a-arms.
Could you list the part numbers you used for the swap? Thanks.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Thanks for the video. I'd like to try the 34 inch front end, but I'm surprised Doo would narrow the front end and not narrow the sled's side panels too.

I looked at a Polaris and a Doo yesterday, side by side. The Polaris is about 4 inches narrower than the Doo, with each having the 36 inch front ends. I have a hard time picturing the Doo with the 34 inch front end not paneling-out at times/dragging more in the snow when it's on its side

What did you find Dave?
Because the skis are narrower, you do not need to tip the machine as much to bite and hold and edge, we did not find it to panel out and if it does plus 50 degrees a rider with that skill level know how to handle it.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Because the skis are narrower, you do not need to tip the machine as much to bite and hold and edge, we did not find it to panel out and if it does plus 50 degrees a rider with that skill level know how to handle it.
Thanks Dave.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
using Dave's info that what's needed are just the a-arms (204.99 ea) and tie rods (58.99 ea), I used 2021 parts which won't work since they're not the shorter versions but the prices should be close.

Last edited:

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
I have found that the boards being as wide as they are cause more issues during spring riding, not the panels. Have not had the same issue in the powder. I have had my running boards stop my sled when sidehilling through the trees in spring snow. I switched sleds with my brother in law, 18 Polaris axis, and had no issues taking the same line. I rode a lynx 4100 yesterday and had no issues sidehilling it as its boards are 2" narrower than my ski doos.

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
Seeing how I was able to ride the lynx I measured the width of the running boards on the sleds I have and ride with.
my 17 summit x: 34"
my 18 Free ride: 34"
My 14 Polaris 600: 29"
Brother in law 18 axis: 29"
Lynx 4100: 32"

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I need clarification, a 36" front end measures at 36" from center of spindle to center of spindle(skis centered) , the 34 in front end measures 35" from center of spindle to center of spindle(skis centered) ?
So it's actually only 1in narrower?

Sent it

Last edited:

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I need clarification, a 36" front end measures at 36" from center of spindle to center of spindle(skis centered) , the 34 in front end measures 35" from center of spindle to center of spindle(skis centered) ?
So it's actually only 1in narrower?

Sent it
Nope currently centered is 37, so set narrow its 36, centered its 37 and set wide its 38, 2022 expert is 34 narrow, 35 centered and 36 set wide

V

Vailguy

Apr 24, 2008
Foothills
using Dave's info that what's needed are just the a-arms (204.99 ea) and tie rods (58.99 ea), I used 2021 parts which won't work since they're not the shorter versions but the prices should be close.
So you dont have to replace the uppers? just lowers? I bet you could cut and retap the existing ends too. Thats what you did with Alt impact kits on the Rev.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Devoted this last winter to learning to ride better in more technical terrain and found my 2020 Expert 165 (set in narrow position) to be very good when the snow was deep, soft and forgiving; in firmer more set up snow paneling out was an issue and made the sled hard to hold a decent side hill compared to my stepson's 2021 Polaris Khaos 155 which did not panel out in the identical conditions.

Ski Doo will hopefully be releasing a new chassis next year that is lighter and narrower.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Devoted this last winter to learning to ride better in more technical terrain and found my 2020 Expert 165 (set in narrow position) to be very good when the snow was deep, soft and forgiving; in firmer more set up snow paneling out was am issue and made the sled hard to hold a decent side hill compared to my stepson's 2021 Polaris Khaos 155 which did not panel out in the identical conditions.

Ski Doo will hopefully be releasing a new chassis next year that is lighter and narrower.
Nope you will need both uppers and lowers and tie rods

For the cost of all that the best bang for the buck for improving handling might be adding Durapro dampeners to the skis and getting rid of T-motion.

Here’s hoping Doo narrows the Summit to fit the new 34 inch front end and updates the 10 year old skid next year.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
are you saying Dave is incorrect about just needing uppers and tie rods in your above post or are you referring to something else?
if so that adds another 330 according to the parts fiche that i used for the above calculation. i'm considering doing it to my 2022 Freeride but maybe not if the lowers are also required. we'll see as i'm saving a small fortune in parts/accessories by transferring them to the new sled.

Last edited:
Premium Features