• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 Yamaha Mountain Max - Re-badged Alpha???

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I guess you guys forgot Cat has been building Yamaha for several years, nothing new except the two stroke 800

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Is the front of the rail gusseted differently than Cats current machines? I know it is different than a pic posted a year ago On this site...

Attachments

• DA96D4C7-F949-43FA-9292-3CF0EBFD9BB2.png
    DA96D4C7-F949-43FA-9292-3CF0EBFD9BB2.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 169

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The price is very close to the same with the 165" track, electric start and tunnel bag.

$14,035 for the Cat version and $14,249 for the Yamaha.

Although with the Cat you also get a larger front bumper and a handlebar bag for that price, not so with the Yamaha.

What's a three year warranty worth?

**Purchase a new 2021 Snowmobile model, excluding SXVenom, SXVenom Mountain, Transporter Lite, Transporter, VK540, Mountain Max LE 154, and Mountain Max LE 165, between 3/9/20 to 4/18/20 and receive a Free 24 month Y.E.S. (Yamaha Extended Service) Contract for a total of 3 years Genuine Yamaha Coverage. Includes 12 month Factory Limited Warranty + 24 month Y.E.S. See your dealer for complete program details or visit yamahamotorsports.com.

Sent it

E
Feb 22, 2009
**Purchase a new 2021 Snowmobile model, excluding SXVenom, SXVenom Mountain, Transporter Lite, Transporter, VK540, Mountain Max LE 154, and Mountain Max LE 165, between 3/9/20 to 4/18/20 and receive a Free 24 month Y.E.S. (Yamaha Extended Service) Contract for a total of 3 years Genuine Yamaha Coverage. Includes 12 month Factory Limited Warranty + 24 month Y.E.S. See your dealer for complete program details or visit yamahamotorsports.com.

Sent it

Keyword “excluding”

Unfortunately the MMax only has a 1yr Warranty not 3yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Looks like we might have more choices for buying parts for our cats. Just go to your local Yamaha dealer. Unfortunately in my area the local Arctic cat dealer is trying to compete with the local Polaris dealer so their Arctic cat line has been treated like a red headed step child. Last time I visited the Yamaha dealer I didn’t see any snowmobiles. Hope this titanic ship avoids the ice bergs.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Glad to see "them" back in the two stoke game... but SOMETHING to set this sled apart from the Cat would have been good.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thank you E-Zmoke 4:20, I missed the EXCLUDING part of the disclaimer.

If that's the case, I'm out!

That's too bad, I was making good progress in convincing "she who shall be obeyed" that it would be great to back on a Yamaha.

I didn't leave Yamaha, as a mountain rider, they left me!

The more I think about it, is a re-badged Arctic Cat without a Yamaha engine, clutches or the enviable Yamaha extended warranty really a Yamaha?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I just received a call from Yamaha's corporate office regarding the Mountain Max. They were wondering if a dealer had followed up with me regarding ordering a Mountain Max. I told him a dealer had indeed reached out to me but, that I had told him that I was no longer interested.
He asked why, and I told him that their add leads one to believe that there will be a three year warranty on the snowmobile but, after reading the fine print, there is only a one year warranty. He was shocked that Yamaha had done this to themselves and wanted to see what he could do to remedy the situation.
I told him as one who used to bleed blue until they left the mountain market, that I personally would be much more interested in the sled if it had a Yamaha engine and Yamaha clutches. We'll see where this conversation leads, if anywhere.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I didn't even pay attention. I thought they had a 3 year. My buddy, who is a dealer, told me only the 4 stroke sleds were 3 year. A better looking, more expensive, arctic cat alpha. Anybody thinking Yamaha is going to go out of their way to do anything stellar is wishful thinking. They dropped the ball in the mountain segment and haven't made anything people wanted for years. They were never stellar in the mountains. Always waaay heavy. Heck, years ago, i think you could lose 30 pounds with an aftermarket skid. The others were probably 20. Pretty sad imo. Everyone rants about the old mountain max. Nothing sounded better than a triple piped mountain max but i only ever seen one that really ran. I find it funny how everyone trashes on skidoo over their chassis, saying they just keep adding to a crappy chassis instead of a revamp. They have done more than cat. This will be going on 10 years now.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I didn't even pay attention. I thought they had a 3 year. My buddy, who is a dealer, told me only the 4 stroke sleds were 3 year. A better looking, more expensive, arctic cat alpha. Anybody thinking Yamaha is going to go out of their way to do anything stellar is wishful thinking. They dropped the ball in the mountain segment and haven't made anything people wanted for years. They were never stellar in the mountains. Always waaay heavy. Heck, years ago, i think you could lose 30 pounds with an aftermarket skid. The others were probably 20. Pretty sad imo. Everyone rants about the old mountain max. Nothing sounded better than a triple piped mountain max but i only ever seen one that really ran. I find it funny how everyone trashes on skidoo over their chassis, saying they just keep adding to a crappy chassis instead of a revamp. They have done more than cat. This will be going on 10 years now.
The old Mountain Max was a great sled if set up properly if not it was a turd just like any other sled. You must have not been looking in the right places ?

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I remember going to a sneak peek show back in 96 when the Mountain Max was new for 1997. They actually had a MM700 on a live scale at the show. I don't remember what the actual number was. However they were confident that the weight was competitive with the other brands at the time, that they were willing to weigh it for all to see.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I don't get why people keep ragging on cat for the proclimb chassis being around for going on 9 years with updates over the course of its life. It's no different from the Doo xp/xm chassis that went 8 yrs from 08-16. The xm was no more a new chassis from the xp than an ascender is from the pro climb. Heck the axys is just a pro chassis with a lift kit so one could even argue that the Polaris chassis has essentially been around since 2011.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
MNT-Viper, I remember being in West Yellowstone when the Yamaha engineers were introducing it. They had a brief case with the aluminum front of the chassis that the A arms bolt to. They were very proud. I ended up with a Mountain SRX. It wasn't much of a mountains sled but at the time it was amazing. 140 hp, electronic power valves and 3 year warranty from the factory! My how times have changed.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I remember the New Mtn max... i whooped some arse with my 96 MXZ 144, 583 twin pipes. They couldn't figure out how a long tracked MXZ beat them on the trail and up the hill...

If i was in the Market, i would buy the new Mtn Max!

Sent it

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I don't get why people keep ragging on cat for the proclimb chassis being around for going on 9 years with updates over the course of its life. It's no different from the Doo xp/xm chassis that went 8 yrs from 08-16. The xm was no more a new chassis from the xp than an ascender is from the pro climb. Heck the axys is just a pro chassis with a lift kit so one could even argue that the Polaris chassis has essentially been around since 2011.
The xm was a doctored xp chassis. The gen 4 is new. The proclimb will be doctored for 10 years when the 2021 show this fall. The axys is not a doctored pro. New motor, new bulkhead, raised chassis, new tunnel, suspension componets, etc. Pro motor doesn't fit in an axys. Not something dribbled out for 10 years. Don't get me wrong. I love my alpha. All I'm saying is Yamaha is going out of their way to build anything stellar and I'm not sure textron is either.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
MNT-Viper, I remember being in West Yellowstone when the Yamaha engineers were introducing it. They had a brief case with the aluminum front of the chassis that the A arms bolt to. They were very proud. I ended up with a Mountain SRX. It wasn't much of a mountains sled but at the time it was amazing. 140 hp, electronic power valves and 3 year warranty from the factory! My how times have changed.
I ordered one but didn't pick it up. I had a summit and ran out of fun tickets to buy 2 new sleds. The Yamaha's always looked the coolest.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
youguys think the report that they made their own tuning for the motor is fake?
and what about the stainless exhuast? sounds like maybe the y-pipe and muffler but who really knows yet? and i probably replace the cat skis right off the bat whereas the yamahas maybe not? funny how people can know everything about a sled they havent really looked over and rode yet.
Id like to know whats up with the non-estart seat in the vid, what gives there?

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
I’m a Cat fan and even more of a Yamaha fan! Why couldn’t Cat \ Yamaha keep it simple! Twin Rail, clutch’s that don’t break , seal the vents add some warrant they would still be in the market and making money.( Alpha to date is an marketing ploy trying to compete with T-Motion) Reliability is very important when 3 mtn ranges deep.........

Premium Features