• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 changes

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Couple things I noticed in the 2021 Brochure. Not sure if it's been covered here.

Looks like they changed the rear arm to rail bolt setup. Still unsure why the ATAC on the fly suspension only comes on the 165 and not 154 since the 154 wheelies more. And the 165 with ATAC has a normal coil front track shock with no QS3 piggy back and no ATAC. 165 ATAC has no electric start option.

I'm a 154 guy and don't want a 165, so that is what Im gonna get. And my rotator cuffs are going to crap quick so this might be my first sled with electric start. Just REALLY want ATAC on the 154.

full

full

full

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I agree as well. I too am a 154" guy only. I love a lively front end but it would sure be nice to lock out the rear suspension from the bars while climbing because we all know that 153"-154" love to stand on their tails and come back over on you if you're not careful. I use the Z Bros KISS bracket on my twin rail which provides bumpers for the rear scissor links to bump against which limits the suspension travel. I too am seriously considering electric start for the first time as well since Cat doesn't have a SHOT like system yet.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
My '20 is my first sled with estart and it is fanfriggintastic! Only complaint is the big seat might get in the way a bit when technical riding when your used to the small seat. It's nice on the trail though. My whole group is jealous of my magic button. My '20 is also my first 165" as I too have always been a 153" guy, but I got nervous about how rowdy the 154" alphas looked. being fat and slow I already had a time or two on my two rail 153" that I struggled to keep up with the sled. Honestly as far as alphas go, the 165" is not bad. I don't think I can really tell the difference between it and my previous 153" two railer as far as length goes.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
But is the front end lively? Can you lift it will with just a throttle blip to clear snow covered logs and creek bottoms?
If that's possible with a 165" Alpha then maybe I could become a 165" guy too!

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I don't think you'd have any problem getting the front up when needed. I have mine set up with 50 psi in the FTS and 165 in the rts and it'll still pull the front up with my fat butt on it. I'm about 270 before gear for reference. I'd say maybe see if you can't give them both a test run before buying.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I rode 162 forever, 2012 went 153 when proclimb came out, this year 165 with ES, doesn't really feel much different than my last 153 but climbs better, still wheelies when I want to, and the ES is freaking awesome lol I did remove the lead-acid battery and install a 2 pound lithium battery , -9 below at Tog and it started right up with the button

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
honestly have never looked that close at an e-start sled, do you still get a pull starter with it?

T
Dec 10, 2018
Calgary, Alberta
But is the front end lively? Can you lift it will with just a throttle blip to clear snow covered logs and creek bottoms?
If that's possible with a 165" Alpha then maybe I could become a 165" guy too!

Im 250 lbs geared up and my 165 lifts the skis when you want it to! I changed my Snowcheck from a 154 to a 165 because the 154 is pretty rowdy but, with that being said the 165 is pretty rowdy too when you want it to be ! I agree with vern saying try both and see as it comes down to rider preference!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Call your dealer and bug them... The more people that say they want a 154 atac, they better chance that we will get one.
^ This. Totally silly that Cat won't take orders for all configurations of shocks, colors, and starter options.

I saw literature for the 2020s that showed a coil FTS on the mountain cat, but those still came with a float QS3, right? Once again the marketing/literature folks all need fired.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
^ This. Totally silly that Cat won't take orders for all configurations of shocks, colors, and starter options.

I saw literature for the 2020s that showed a coil FTS on the mountain cat, but those still came with a float QS3, right? Once again the marketing/literature folks all need fired.

Yes this should be one of the main benefits of going pre-order only. You should be able to order exactly what you want and cat build it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
While we're wishing for 2021 build options. Give us the option for ELEVATE on the sleds. What does it take when building the sleds?
2 taller spindles and shocks on the front and rear suspension changes like rail profile shock length and perhaps rail mounting points and you're done.

Better yet, here you go Cat, make the rear skid adjustable in height via the ATAC! Ride with the rear suspension compressed in the low position on the trail ride in to the powder and then allow the rider to raise it up to the perfect height for the snow conditions and terrain.

If you do that, I promise to order a 2021 sled.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
What's the date on that patent filing? Honestly it could be the reason they haven't released a bigger engine yet, or maybe they're developing a new engine alongside the turbo as well.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Pretty cool but, I see Skidoo is beating them to the punch with their new Gen 4 850 turbo. The pressure will be real to not become just another also ran sled company. This is where the power of Textron (say big bucks and big capabilities) has the ability to expedite the process.

Premium Features