• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 850 Summit Builds

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Is anyone running the Diamond S can? It seems to be the lightest so I'm leaning that direction, but I don't want my sled to be annoyingly loud. Any input is appreciated
I’m running one on a non turbo, and it not as loud as most other cans I heat. It’s very acceptable on the db scale.

hushpuff

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2016
Second on the Diamond S - I would say it is as loud as my GGB quiet can on my 2020 expert. Looks great, room for a cooker down low. Spendy, yes, but what about snowmobiling isn't?

@Summit74 - When you installed the z-motion kit and rail braces did you have any trouble? I ordered the same kit and all the holes were about 1/4" off, had to drill every one of them. Also, could not get the link into the rear hole without the 'nub' hitting the link. I'm sure I could compress the skid and get it to fit but the factory 'nub' will be a mechanical stop preventing full droop which I fear will cause a great deal of stress on that part.
1612195039034.png

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
@husspuff i also had similar issues with rail brace not being perfect. I think ZRP claims this can be a issue, I had to drill out the holes a little last year to. There was a slight change to the rails between the years of Gen4, I think they just don’t want to try an update the brace every year. I have not had any problems with the z-motion link.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Update:

21 Summit 850 Turbo expert 165 aka “Blueberry” (daughter named it and it stuck).

This is my favorite snowmobile to date. I finally got around to installing my zmotion w/ rail brace, LOCK OUT washers and 1.25 lift spindles. I also picked up a set of Mohawk skis. I have been running the skis since maybe the second ride this year and love them. They track great on the trail, steer easy in pow, ski rubber is super stiff with little movement and side hill where you point it.

So last year I also ran this combo minus the skis. I tried to run more stock configuration this year for several rides so I would have a good base line on how the ZRP mods affect the handling of the sled. Here’s a rundown of my thoughts now that I have a couple rides with ZRP components installed. Also keep in mind, I am running the Rasmussen 2” post forward kit (I didn’t do that last season on my expert) and that’s been installed all year.

The squirrelly Feeling skid is gone! Wow. I hate that, my balance is decent, but not amazing and making the skid more rigid, just helps me so much. The lift spindles make the sled get up on the snow much faster and with ski bolt back geometry, no more front end twitchy feeling, those combined with the Mohawk ski is a WIN. I can’t wait to ride it the rest of the season like this.

I don’t think I’ll be ordering a 22 at this point. I like building sleds up, but Blueberry probably will get ridden another season, maybe 2023 will bring the new Chassis.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Side note: if running a Munster throttle, buy the Munster guard, even if you have hand guards. I thought I could get away with just the ski-do flexible guards and this resulted in throttle slamming into a tree and snapping my throttle cable, which led to riding sled out with a small vice grip, thank you ski-doo tool kit!

d42de1477a065d04dbc9ff56da12f502.jpg

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
“Blueberry” Final build list.

21 Summit expert 850 Turbo 165

SCS wrap
Fox 1.5 zero QS3 lightweight
Boondocker Reactor exhaust
SLP Mohawk skis
ZRP 1.25” Lift spindles
ZRP lock out washers
ZRP Zmotion w/ rail brace
ZRP brake resi guard
Munster finger throttle w/ guard
Munster kill switch
Munster 4” risers
TKI shorty brake lever
CFR Turcotte Bar
Skinz Rasmussen post forward 2”
Ski-doo extreme skid plate
RPM composites economy kit (bash guards)
Sledtred knee pads
Ibackshift clutching

See up above a few replies for comments on how the parts are working. Cheers

010eef49e9606e5243cb719390bb23cd.jpg

03251c26960c888c6db20ba389422ebd.jpg

32b5be28e1525445f2c85b970b4efe36.jpg

3f6aee6dd3e7ef50cce9003ce806edd9.jpg

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
“Blueberry” Final build list.

21 Summit expert 850 Turbo 165

SCS wrap
Fox 1.5 zero QS3 lightweight
Boondocker Reactor exhaust
SLP Mohawk skis
ZRP 1.25” Lift spindles
ZRP lock out washers
ZRP Zmotion w/ rail brace
Munster finger throttle w/ guard
Munster kill switch
Munster 4” risers
TKI shorty brake lever
CFR Turcotte Bar
Skinz Rasmussen post forward 2”
Ski-doo extreme skid plate
RPM composites economy kit (bash guards)
Ibackshift clutching

See up above a few replies for comments on how the parts are working. Cheers

Have you had any issues with the TKI lever? Mine likes to freeze on the bolt, I tried grease on the bolt but have not tried it yet.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Have you had any issues with the TKI lever? Mine likes to freeze on the bolt, I tried grease on the bolt but have not tried it yet.
I've seen stock and aftermarket brake levers freeze. Remedy: put your sled inside to thaw out more often!

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I've seen stock and aftermarket brake levers freeze. Remedy: put your sled inside to thaw out more often!

Great remedy, Its in a heated garage.

I have never had a plastic one freeze, my buddy has a TKI and on the same day his was not sticking.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Great remedy, Its in a heated garage.

I have never had a plastic one freeze, my buddy has a TKI and on the same day his was not sticking.
Grease it and see... I'm running the TKI lever and master cylinder cover for the past three years without any issues. Have seen plastic and aluminum levers freeze. Not sure what the delta between function and frozen is.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Update:

21 Summit 850 Turbo expert 165 aka “Blueberry” (daughter named it and it stuck).

This is my favorite snowmobile to date. I finally got around to installing my zmotion w/ rail brace, LOCK OUT washers and 1.25 lift spindles. I also picked up a set of Mohawk skis. I have been running the skis since maybe the second ride this year and love them. They track great on the trail, steer easy in pow, ski rubber is super stiff with little movement and side hill where you point it.

So last year I also ran this combo minus the skis. I tried to run more stock configuration this year for several rides so I would have a good base line on how the ZRP mods affect the handling of the sled. Here’s a rundown of my thoughts now that I have a couple rides with ZRP components installed. Also keep in mind, I am running the Rasmussen 2” post forward kit (I didn’t do that last season on my expert) and that’s been installed all year.

The squirrelly Feeling skid is gone! Wow. I hate that, my balance is decent, but not amazing and making the skid more rigid, just helps me so much. The lift spindles make the sled get up on the snow much faster and with ski bolt back geometry, no more front end twitchy feeling, those combined with the Mohawk ski is a WIN. I can’t wait to ride it the rest of the season like this.

I don’t think I’ll be ordering a 22 at this point. I like building sleds up, but Blueberry probably will get ridden another season, maybe 2023 will bring the new Chassis.
Do you feel like there were any negatives with the ZRP setup? Ski pressure being the big one?

Considerably less ski lift?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Grease it and see... I'm running the TKI lever and master cylinder cover for the past three years without any issues. Have seen plastic and aluminum levers freeze. Not sure what the delta between function and frozen is.

Every time I used the brake I had to push it back cause it was sticking, and would sound the parking brake alarm. Water got in around the pivot bolt. I was not expecting to see that with ice buildup.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Every time I used the brake I had to push it back cause it was sticking, and would sound the parking brake alarm. Water got in around the pivot bolt. I was not expecting to see that with ice buildup.

Does it feel slightly out of tolerance, like maybe the hole in the lever that bolt goes through. Really weird. Maybe call Tom. He might even swap you out a lever.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Do you feel like there were any negatives with the ZRP setup? Ski pressure being the big one?

Considerably less ski lift?

I think it’s more personal preference, I hadn’t had a issue with ski lift all season. I think the post forward helps with that, because I can move forward more when climbing. Also my rear track shock is set on 2 (QS3 setting) and it seems to be valved perfect to limit ski lift.

Now with the ZRP parts, i let the limiter strap out one hole, so no extra ski pressure. With the z motion and lift spindles It rides similar to stock now, just way more predictable and I feel it get on top the snow quicker. I also feel sidehilling is much improved and more predictable on edge.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Does it feel slightly out of tolerance, like maybe the hole in the lever that bolt goes through. Really weird. Maybe call Tom. He might even swap you out a lever.

I didn’t want to bug tom.
I measured the hole where the bolt goes through and its a-lot tighter than the stock one, I buffed out the coating and opened up the hole the best I could and will give it a try.
It was -20c that day it was giving me greif.

Premium Features