• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021-2022 Black Hills

A
Sep 10, 2012
We plan on our first trip over President’s weekend. It should be our third for the year. Either way, snow or not, we’re going out. Maybe stop at a Trailshead and Buckhorn will happen with the truck. Maybe a late winter dump will still happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDPowderRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2010
Central SD
We rode this past Friday and Saturday out of Trailshead both days.

Friday went south, found 10”-12” with about 5” fresh on top. Rode some grass meadows with no tracks. Did find a rock and collect an a arm. Trails were decent. Beats sitting at home.

Saturday went north into Spearfish Canyon Lodge for lunch (food was good). Had new rider along so stayed on trail and side cuts. Rode trails #I - #4A up and #4 back. Trails were very respectable for what the guys have to work with. Seen a few rental sleds out, but overall light traffic.

FYI. New owner at Rec Springs wants pay parking in his lot with a pass from inside and no overnight trailer parking. Sign posted. I spoke with him and expressed my displeasure. I no longer will recommend Rec to anyone.

AFA52ABA-A913-400C-BA63-9362FF260E90.jpeg 24F2A123-AA3E-42A7-8C94-300FC83FF765.jpeg

Last edited:

brantd

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2010
i was just there on a family late xmas trip,went driving for a day.down by Mallow it looked best,but still slim for off trail riding.granted this was driving roads scoping from a vehicle.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
This has not been a season full of good news. However I can happily report I am currently at Hardy Camp and it is dumping pretty good. Suppose to snow all night and most of the day tomorrow. 4-8 inches predicted. Hopefully they are wrong and we get over a foot.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
hows things looking tonight? did you have time to go north and south and wondering which direction from trailshead got the most pow?

U
Dec 12, 2007
Custer, SD
Rode from the Ditch Creek Lot today. A couple new inches of snow at the lot. I rode Ditch Creek Road up to Six Mile and then cut across over to Trail 1. Some open areas and turns had been blown bare, but it was mostly good and got way better as I went north. I broke trail on 1 the whole way to Trailshead and then back. Between the intersections of 9 and 8 seemed to have the best snow with 8"+ of fresh snow on the trail. I checked out some hidden valleys and forest service roads and was surprised to have snow coming over the hood in places.
Pics I've attached range from southern Trail 1 up to a mile north of the 1&8 intersection.
PXL_20220211_182958263.jpgPXL_20220211_191453620.jpgPXL_20220211_192024971.jpgPXL_20220211_192057398.jpgPXL_20220211_210559613.jpg

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
hows things looking tonight? did you have time to go north and south and wondering which direction from trailshead got the most pow?
It is still snowing lightly but the wind has gone down. I do not think it makes a difference if you go North or South as long as you stay west along the Wyoming border. The pic was taken along trail 1 South of Trailshead 5 miles by cold creek road. The wind blew hard enough to load the downwind side of the meadows.

Dec 17, 2013
Gotta book a trip for this weekend in the morning. Unless a miracle happens in the next 12hrs, we are heading north to MN instead. This likely will be our last trip of the season and also may be the first year in several that we don’t make it out to The Hills. So sad!!!!

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Had a great ride with all the kids. 6 under 10 all on evo or 200s rode down 1 to the intersection of 8 and back was better than I thought it would be. Played a little off trail, 16 sleds only 1 rock no damage. Adult ride tomorrow so we will really get some miles on North of Trailshead tomorrow. Pic is just off 1 by 8.

20220217_120629.jpg

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Rode out of SFC lodge today. 4a to 1 to 3 to buckhorn then back on 1. Rode 15 miles of off trail on a set of meadows that I have riden for years. It was really pretty good I would say 18 to 22 inches, no base some grass still sticking up. Many areas were washboard around trailshead and buckhorn. 4 A coming out of Sfc lodge marginal at best until the intersection of 4.

20220218_102820.jpg 20220217_120629.jpg

Dec 17, 2013
Sounds like we pr
Rode out of SFC lodge today. 4a to 1 to 3 to buckhorn then back on 1. Rode 15 miles of off trail on a set of meadows that I have riden for years. It was really pretty good I would say 18 to 22 inches, no base some grass still sticking up. Many areas were washboard around trailshead and buckhorn. 4 A coming out of Sfc lodge marginal at best until the intersection of 4.
sounds like we probably passed each other on the trails. Stayed at SCL as well rode Friday, Saturday. Trail 4 coming into the lodge was completely shot by EOD Saturday. The Lodge had lost a lot of snow as well. Parking lot a muddy mess. All that being said, two days of great riding. I was thinking I might rent a sled as to not burn up my new long track. Absolutely no concern there. Sled never got over 135 temp. Really glad we decided to make the trip!!! Pleasantly surprised how good the trails were considering how little snow they have received this season. But after seeing 4 coming to the lodge, certainly glad we were heading home Sunday and not riding Sunday.
With the incoming storm, we SERIOUSLY considered leaving the trailer and coming back this next weekend. But decided to haul them back. If this storm pans out, we might be back! Fingers crossed!!!!

A
Sep 10, 2012
The trails were great both Friday and Saturday. We rode south both days. Friday was down to Deerfield with one of or sleds that had a broken clutch. The secondary broke right off the jack shaft and destroyed the couch mount. Saturday We found open meadows covered in a foot of snow. then we hit Buckhorn for lunch. We went up 3 which was rough until a groomer came by to 3B and and smooth sailing into Trailshead and a muddy mess. I left the trailer and we will be back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 17, 2013
It looks like this storm is a bust. It is currently snowing but at this rate it will take 2 days to gain an inch. Too cold to gain any decent snow. Currently -17.
Seems to be the norm this season unfortunately. Glad we went when we did I guess. Unless something crazy happens, guess we’ll see you next year. Moving the kid up to a proper 155” 600 long track from a 136” 550. So next season better be epic! They are due for a good one!!!!

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
As I only live 500 miles away this season sucked bad, snowed less than 3 inches in my hometown. Hard to believe March 1 is only 5 days away. Feel sorry for everyone in the snow business. Over before it started.

Premium Features