• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021/2022 Alpine Wyoming Snow Report Rockin' M Ranch

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Hello all. For many years I have posted snow reports. I will do my best this year. I get steady reports from Snowmobilers staying at the cabins here at the Rockin' M Ranch (307-654-2288). I try to ride as much as I can myself and I also do snow removal on the McCoy Road so I have a pretty good idea what has fallen from storm to storm. My reports are sometimes a bit delayed, for I have to get the snow removed before I get to the computer. Everyone feel free to add your own opinions, reports, and pictures for the Star Valley/Alpine area.
12/26/2021
We were off to a slow start in early December but all is looking pretty good now. We've had 3 pretty good storms in the last 10 days bringing the local snotels to 46". Probably about a foot on the valley floor. The snow in the last 72 hours has a high moisture content. I have copy and pasted the most recent avalanche report from the Bridger Teton Avalanche Center. It is currently at considerable. Might be wise to wait a few days and let things settle.

GENERAL AVALANCHE ADVISORY

Steady snowfall and strong southerly to westerly winds continue to create dangerous avalanche conditions. Above 8,000 feet, human-triggered slab avalanches are likely on steep wind-loaded slopes. Increasing wind speeds throughout the day will form wind slabs at the mid and upper elevations and possibly small isolated pockets at the lower elevations. Over the past 3 days, the Grey’s River forecast area has received up to 25 inches of snow with over 2 inches of water. Backcountry travelers should use caution today and be mindful of steep terrain, especially over terrain traps with the significant amount of loose snow that could move down the slope.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Good to have your reports even if not up the last minute. Let is snow and thanks for posting!

jbrandsted4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2016
Twin Cities, MN
Hey guys- we are riding out of Afton during the first part of February - first time in that area. Any recommended guides to reach-out to. There will be 4 of us and everyone is comfortable in the backcountry.

Thanks

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
January 6
Its been snowing for three days. Guessing close to 20" in the valley. Jackson resort is reporting over 30" in 3 days. Avalanche danger is high. Might be smart to wait a few days or keep it low.

S
Jan 28, 2019
Flying out on the 26th from Southern California. I see snow in the forecast for next week. How bad are the upper elevations right now? We are coming either way just trying to get an idea.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Flying out on the 26th from Southern California. I see snow in the forecast for next week. How bad are the upper elevations right now? We are coming either way just trying to get an idea.
Bad, very bad. Was supposed to fly out there tomorrow, but conditions are crap. The snow in the forecast looks promising, but no big storms yet. Could get a foot this weekend and they are predicting snow on the 25th and 26th. So, it should improve.

I'm also planning to be there on the 26th for the week, so start doing a snow dance. Any massive snowfall will make avy conditions go through the roof. So these small regular snow storms aren't all bad.

S
Jan 28, 2019
Bad, very bad. Was supposed to fly out there tomorrow, but conditions are crap. The snow in the forecast looks promising, but no big storms yet. Could get a foot this weekend and they are predicting snow on the 25th and 26th. So, it should improve.

I'm also planning to be there on the 26th for the week, so start doing a snow dance. Any massive snowfall will make avy conditions go through the roof. So these small regular snow storms aren't all bad.
Thank you very much.. We have been doing the snow dance since the 2nd week of January.

D

dgfreeride

Nov 6, 2011
Really that bad all winter? This was the first year in 22 years that I didn’t make it to Alpine!!

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Yeah, Alpine/Star Valley sucks...always... don't go there.

The sledder increase in just the last 5 years is crazy. Good thing there are still a couple of my honey holes that still go undiscovered, but it's getting tougher every year. We need to drag something behind our sleds to cover tracks.

I had 2 excellent weeks in Alpine last season, but cancelled one trip and delayed one trip for 2 weeks to get the right snow.

Premium Features