• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 wont start

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Loaded my sled in the truck after riding and when i got home wouldnt start. I disconnected the kill switch and with the hood off i get spark, the plugs are wet with fuel. I assume since i got spark the sled will run with the hood disconnected? Any ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Mine is the same. First day out. 55 or 60 miles. Shoulders hurt so I left it overnight in trailer. Next day won't start which aggravates my shoulders more. Drug it in the shop with a ski doo. Pulled some more. No luck. Not in the mood to look at it. Arctic cat reliability I keep hearing about. I like the alpha rail and track or I wouldn't have one. That is the only thing they have going for them. Rode my buddy's 163 kaos and it is a stellar sled but not as easy or fun. Pretty quick and I am going to put the rail and track on a poo or doo. The cat is also the worst thing to start for my shoulders. Maybe a real electric start without some gay trail seat. Also seems like you couldn't get it in the 154 hardcore. Only a 165. Also temp light and oil light on with fresh and scratchers on trail out. Almost out of oil and was completely full. Last years was a bunch of little things. Always something. Had more reliable turboed sleds.

E
Feb 22, 2009
Your injectors didn’t stick, I’m sorry to hear you have weak shoulders but it’s just the nature of the beast. Always make sure to let your sled idle down for 30 seconds to a min before shutting it off. If you want to start it right now you will have to keep pulling, also holding it wide open with the break on will help and alternate from wide open to no fuel. It will start, just keep pulling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
With the cat you have to let it idle down for 10 to 20 seconds and a bit more if you have run it hard and long.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
did it attempt to fire maybe 1 cylinder each pull or did it act as if the kill switch was off?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Wow,
I've been riding cat since 08.
Only time i ever had a starting issue(other than having to squeeze the throttle on all warm Zuke's) is on my 14, jumped a creek and sled landed on its top. Rolled it over and pulled 15 times. Turned key off and on and fired right up. My guess is the key wasn't all the way on?

I read all the horror stories about the 2019 and 2020 850 Polaris' not starting and fouling plugs.

I have never had to squeeze the throttle on My Ctec's but they do require a fast full 100% of the rope pull warm or cold.

Sent it

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Very slight pop out the exhaust, then nothing

The reason for the exhaust pop is too much fuel, the advise of idling before shut is correct. I let mine idle until it is at the normal rpm. It is not a timed thing as it varies depending on the load it was under. Sometimes it takes 0-10 seconds and the next time it takes 30 or more. Doing this will minimize starting problems. If mine doesn't start first or second pull i give it throttle and a good pull so far it has started every time. Also if you are still in the original 6hr break in that is adding more fuel and not helping the starting.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I had my 19 do the same thing, and I pulled and pulled it would not start, as soon as I gave it a tad throttle it had fired up immediately. Next time it does that if it does, try that. Silly to have to considering how new it is and the whole idea behind fuel injection lol... So to say pull and pull more isn't the solution guys..

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Keep us posted. Buddies 20 did the same thing. One cylinder was just pouring fuel in. Assumption was a stuck/bad injector but it is in for warranty and have not heard yet.

If it makes you feel better literally every 850 Poo i rode with last year had a day their sled would flat out not start without 100 pulls. All of these sleds have corks anyone that thinks a brand doesn't has just been lucky. Although it seems like the issues with cats are increasing in frequency. Guess that is the nature of the beast when you are trying to make quick changes to keep up with the others that just crank things out with little testing.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Mine the light barely flickered twice. If hadn't caught that I wouldn't have thought anything. It wouldn't be the end of the world if my shoulders weren't so cranky and it is worse than the old pros to start. It takes every inch of the rope. I am going to have to rig up something for electric start.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Got it started, ended up unplugging the fuel pump and pulling it a few time with part throttle and it started

E
Feb 22, 2009
Got it started, ended up unplugging the fuel pump and pulling it a few time with part throttle and it started

Good to hear, unplugging the fuel pump wasn’t the fix though. Like I said earlier make sure you let it idle down next time, if not your just going to have to keep pulling.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Good to hear, unplugging the fuel pump wasn’t the fix though. Like I said earlier make sure you let it idle down next time, if not your just going to have to keep pulling.

I kinda figured it would stop spraying fuel in and let it clear out faster, regardless it started, was definitely loaded up with fuel

Premium Features