• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 freeride.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Let's hear some reviews assuming most of us by now have been out on the snow.

I'll start with mine. I'm a newb to doo so bear that in mind. I'm coming off an old cat M7 but have been riding all my life, just family has got in the way of getting the latest and greatest up until this year. So the suspension feels really stiff but I can play with that no problem. The biggest thing I noticed right off the bat was that it is a wheelie monster, so at lunch I shortened the limiter strap 2 holes and definitely felt the front end heavier. I'll probably go back one hole.
The power feels awesome even in break in mode boondocking in the trees and it sidehills obviously better than my old sled. The one thing I was a little disappointed with is how well it climbed. I'm on a 146 and so I've only got the 2.5 paddle and we were in a foot and a half of light powder so I know it won't climb like a longer track with a 3", but I expected better. It feels like it isn't shifting out on a climb like it should. It is holding it's rpm, but I don't think the secondary is upshifting enough on a hill. From my experience I'd say I need to try a lighter secondary spring or maybe a different helix. Anyone else out there feel like the clutching has a fair amount of room for improvement? I'm not complaining, I'm very happy with the sled. Just want some input. Thanks!!

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012
Let's hear some reviews assuming most of us by now have been out on the snow.

I'll start with mine. I'm a newb to doo so bear that in mind. I'm coming off an old cat M7 but have been riding all my life, just family has got in the way of getting the latest and greatest up until this year. So the suspension feels really stiff but I can play with that no problem. The biggest thing I noticed right off the bat was that it is a wheelie monster, so at lunch I shortened the limiter strap 2 holes and definitely felt the front end heavier. I'll probably go back one hole.
The power feels awesome even in break in mode boondocking in the trees and it sidehills obviously better than my old sled. The one thing I was a little disappointed with is how well it climbed. I'm on a 146 and so I've only got the 2.5 paddle and we were in a foot and a half of light powder so I know it won't climb like a longer track with a 3", but I expected better. It feels like it isn't shifting out on a climb like it should. It is holding it's rpm, but I don't think the secondary is upshifting enough on a hill. From my experience I'd say I need to try a lighter secondary spring or maybe a different helix. Anyone else out there feel like the clutching has a fair amount of room for improvement? I'm not complaining, I'm very happy with the sled. Just want some input. Thanks!!
I have a 2020 freeride 146 also, I'm not sure about stock clutching because I took it to SHR and had Big John do the grip n rip alignment and shim the motor before the season started. At the same time he put his clutching in so I can do on board changes for altitude and tweaking. Clutches are spot on and its a beast, couldn't be happier. Clutches are also clean and cool.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I have a 2020 freeride 146 also, I'm not sure about stock clutching because I took it to SHR and had Big John do the grip n rip alignment and shim the motor before the season started. At the same time he put his clutching in so I can do on board changes for altitude and tweaking. Clutches are spot on and its a beast, couldn't be happier. Clutches are also clean and cool.
Thanks for the info! I should have gotten back to this thread sooner but it sounds like maybe I'm not imagining needing some clutch work done. I'm almost out of the break in mode and wanted to be done with that before I do anything anyways to see if things change. If you don't mind me asking, what type of riding do you do, and what type of snow are you in usually?

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for the info! I should have gotten back to this thread sooner but it sounds like maybe I'm not imagining needing some clutch work done. I'm almost out of the break in mode and wanted to be done with that before I do anything anyways to see if things change. If you don't mind me asking, what type of riding do you do, and what type of snow are you in usually?
Go to Da UP in Twin Lakes Michigan about 4 times a year. Stay at Krupps resort and ride off trail. Headed to Togwadee Mountain Lodge in Wyoming this Tuesday. Another thing that's sweet with SHR clutching is the ease of on board adjustability for altitude change.

Premium Features