• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Axys gear down

GarageTime

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 26, 2007
Draper, UT
I know this has been discussed many times, I just have not come across the clear answer in my searches...can somebody spell it out for me?
Looking to gear down my new sled...it seems like the Pro gears are essentially the same ratio as Kurts but use the original belt. True?
What are the polaris part numbers for the Pro gears?
OR is the QD2 gear a better option??
I also plan SLP pipe/can, (maybe head too), and Kurt's clutching.
Thanks!

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Do you want to go 90mph or 70mph or somewhere inbetween? Low gearing works for me. Qd2 looks like a decent ratio.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
Pro gears are same as kurts and use stock belt. Hands down the most cost effective way to gear down. I run it and it’s been great. Pro gears can be tough to find though. I saw on burandts website that kurts makes Pro gears that use Stock belt. Another good option.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
But the pro ride gears are hardly any difference I don't see all the rage over them maybe it's because of cost? They would be at the bottom of my list. Qd2 is a better option

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I struggled with the math in my head on this until my buddy pointed out Kurt's advertised ratio is final drive and the gear ratio is exactly the same as the pro gears (though they don't note that until you realize the part number is the top/bottom gears). After that conclusion, I opted to find a set of pro gears and managed to snag a set of them buried in the depths of eBay for about $125 with tax and shipping, which is quite a bit cheaper than any I've seen in the last season or so. Excited to test out the setup this season with a chopped tunnel and TRS clutching.

D
Nov 17, 2008
I got my Pro gears 2 years ago off e bay for $65. Need to get them off season to get the best price. One thing to note is that when I put mine on after I already had 500 miles on the belt it was still tighter then the stock set up when new. I have a spare new belt but am concerned how tight it will be when I have to install it. Would like to hear from some who has installed the gears with a new belt and whether they had much trouble getting the new belt on and how much belt noise if any you had for a while. I had some noise with the used belt for 50 -100 miles but have none now and the belt seems to be in good condition after another 500 miles on the pro gears. It now has 1000 miles on it.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
You guys definitely beat the pack on those! I've been looking since middle of last season I think. I wasn't totally sold on them though as I thought the Kurt's that everyone liked was geared even lower, if I only knew...

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
I got my Pro gears 2 years ago off e bay for $65. Need to get them off season to get the best price. One thing to note is that when I put mine on after I already had 500 miles on the belt it was still tighter then the stock set up when new. I have a spare new belt but am concerned how tight it will be when I have to install it. Would like to hear from some who has installed the gears with a new belt and whether they had much trouble getting the new belt on and how much belt noise if any you had for a while. I had some noise with the used belt for 50 -100 miles but have none now and the belt seems to be in good condition after another 500 miles on the pro gears. It now has 1000 miles on it.

I just put Pro gears on, with new quick drive belt. Have not rode it yet. I used zip tie method, it was tight, but didn't seem crazy tight. Took about 10 minutes wiggling around to get them to slide on.

A

Adunphy

Dec 29, 2011
I have a set of pro gears barely used before taken of my 13’ pm me if interested. Thanks

Premium Features