• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 850 Summit X snow flap recommendations???

R
Nov 16, 2016
After hearing that the short OEM snow flap may not allow enough snow to be thrown up against the heat exchanger (in certain conditions), I'm thinking about buying the LinQ removable snow flap for my 2020 X machine.
1595593615941.png

Any pros or cons regarding this?
Do any of you have one?
Do you like it?

by the way, it's killing me having this new machine sitting in my garage, and not being able to use it yet!

Rick E. in Gresham OR

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Only use mine when riding the trails in Yellowstone to the areas I wanted to ride. So it depends on your area and the conditions. I love having it there if it ever needed. I shortened my flap too though so it doesn't hang over my bumper.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I have one and it’s works fine. Nice to be able to put it on and off in seconds.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
You mention the short OEM snow flap. Do you mean the short flap of the Expert model? I ask because the pic is the removable snowflap kit for the regular Summit X, which is different than the flap for the Expert.

Either way, here's my experience, since I have a SummitX with the stock flap, another with the removeable flap, and an Expert with no add-on flap. As long as there is at least 3-4" of fresh snow or a freshly groomed trail, you'll be fine. Off trail, you will never need the flap. But if the trail is both packed/icy and you're going several miles (like spring riding conditions), you'll experience overheating issues quite quickly. On an expert with a shorty flap, I'll have to pack snow on the tunnel to keep the temps under 150F. This is with snow scratchers down in all scenarios.

I love the removable flap for the regular SummitX. But it won't work on the Expert models due to the shortened tunnel (the end of the flap would hit the paddles and get sucked under if you did). There's a different removable flap for the Expert that sticks out more and uses the rear bumper to hold it out.

After hearing that the short OEM snow flap may not allow enough snow to be thrown up against the heat exchanger (in certain conditions), I'm thinking about buying the LinQ removable snow flap for my 2020 X machine.
View attachment 351595

Any pros or cons regarding this?
Do any of you have one?
Do you like it?

by the way, it's killing me having this new machine sitting in my garage, and not being able to use it yet!

Rick E. in Gresham OR

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
that flap you posted is the same length that you should have on your 2020 x model. if you are referring to the expert model i dont think that flap will work on the expert

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
with all the concern/comments about overheating with these short tunnels or no snow flaps, it's odd that no one ever mentions installing the brp tunnel mount scratchers. i have them on my sled and they kick up a ton of snow and ice in the skid and especially in conjunction with the stock ones. the brp ones install in about 20 minutes and it's great insurance when conditions aren't the best.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Buy one, i have three 850,s with them on and in the deep going there is no comparison to having the stock flap on.You will be very happy with it.Easy to carry if you get back to hardpack.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
My mistake ,i have regular tunnel length sleds not an Expert.Should have read closer.Mount a pair of over the top ice scratchers and don't worry about overheat

R
Nov 16, 2016
Regarding scratchers. I've owned several styles.
I think that the tunnel mount scratchers mount too far back.
My machine came with the skid runner mounted scratchers that are much further forward.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Yeah the stock forward mount ones are great most of the time. The tunnel mounts kick up snow and ice in all directions so because they’re rearward isn’t a negative.
As I mentioned, they’re cheap insurance.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
You can buy the accessory snow flap for the expert, i highly encourage anyone to have it, it sits in the truck unless the groomed track is hard, then i throw it on and it works very well. If you dont have it for those icy days and spring early morning ride ins you will over heat

C
Dec 25, 2019
Expert flap on my freeride
0b3b4e1f7cd7cc26e4e5373e766a9d0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

R
Nov 16, 2016
plumnuts said:
actually a new 2020 Summit X 850 Expert...followed me home and is now taking up garage space

Yes, that's what came home with me......... a 2020 Summit X 850 Expert ! I have yet to put it inside of my Sno-Pro.

The only options that I did not get, were the coffee maker and the Sub-Woofer.

Premium Features