• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 850 Summit X..... purchase extended warrantee or not?

R
Nov 16, 2016
My new 2020 850 Summit X was a snow checked machine. The person who originally ordered it backed out of the deal, and that's how it became available to me.
However, the OEM warrantee expires within the first year.
I've been offered a 48 month bumper-to-bumper no deductible warrantee for $1,390.
The dealer likes this warrantee company, and has great things to say about them.

Now.... I see two ways to look at this:

1..... do not purchase the warrantee, and look at it as though that's $1,390 in my pocket that I could use to cover any issues that fell within that cost. However, it may fall short, depending on what could possibly go wrong.

2 ..... purchase the warrantee, and find that it could be $1,390 well spent!

What are your thoughts regarding purchasing that warrantee, or rolling the dice?

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
My new 2020 850 Summit X was a snow checked machine. The person who originally ordered it backed out of the deal, and that's how it became available to me.
I've been offered a 48 month bumper-to-bumper no deductible warrantee for $1,390.
The dealer likes this warrantee company, and has great things to say about them.

1..... do not purchase the warrantee, and look at it as though that's $1,390 in my pocket that I could use to cover any issues that fell within that cost. However, it may fall short, depending on what could possibly go wrong.

What are your thoughts regarding purchasing that warrantee, or rolling the dice?

Get the warranty!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T
Aug 8, 2011
Do you know why dealers love to sell additional warranty? Because they profit 50% of the price of it. And do you know why a warranty company offers it and is willing to give 50% of the cost of it to the dealer?? Because by the numbers, it’s a money maker for them! It’s like buying term life insurance, it’s peace of mind for you but generally never does you any good. I hate additional warranty and I hate paying through the nose for insurance that weasels around anyway. Pocket the $1390 and move on.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
If the warranty is transferable I would get it. Even if you don’t use it it will be worth it if you sell in three years, because you will get more for it if it is still under warranty. It will also be easier to sell!

I
Jul 5, 2001
The warranty is negotiable too just like the price of the sled.... im looking at adding a 2 year from a outside company thru my dealer for about $700.00 for my 2020.5 turbo... and they DO NOT ask to be plugged into the BUDS2 system to pull ECM history.... just FYI....

R
Nov 16, 2016
High Voltage,
yes, it is transferable to a new owner. That was among my first questions, and I do see the value in that alone. Like you said.... if I was to sell it in 3 years, there would still be 1 year remaining.

Tree Thrasher,
we all gamble when it comes to insurance, whether home, health, auto, boat, snowmobile, etc. Both parties must be willing to accept the risk.
The question is..... which side of the risk do you want to be on?

I can afford the $1,390, and can even afford a new engine if it came to it.
However, I'd rather lay out $1,390 now than the cost of a new engine later on.

I'm leaning towards purchasing it.

E
Jul 23, 2008
I added 3 years to my turbo for the same price. The turbo under warranty is a big selling point to me. Offers better resale and peace of mind. Usually i average about a 1000 worth of waranty work per sled. Just brought my 18 in and they 3100 worth of work for 50. The fact the mileage is unlimited is a kicker.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Are there dealers that sell the non-Doo extended warranties over the phone? I know this happens in the automotive works but haven't seen it with sleds.

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012

Doesn't a snow check usually always come with at least 2 years warranty?

E
Jan 17, 2018
In my opinion - if you never buy the warranty on a snowmobile over the life of the sled you are probably going to make out. Pretty rare that every sled you buy has something expensive go wrong that warranty will actually cover (wasn't your own fault). Just my 2 cents on it

Premium Features