• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 800 Bog/Sputter

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Buddys got a 2020 800, was having issues last year with a wide open bog or sputter type deal... almost sounded like over rev/rev limiter? Never an extended bog or anything just quick in and out. I think we ended up with as much as 68 grams in it at 10k', 8000-8200 rpm if I remember right, still doin it. Anyone else have this? Sleds stock other than BMP Full Velocity can.

Might try TSS bypass... never seen one cause issues quite like this one, but seems like its always the first thing a guy should do when having issues.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Did it do it prior to the addition of the can?
Buddys got a 2020 800, was having issues last year with a wide open bog or sputter type deal... almost sounded like over rev/rev limiter? Never an extended bog or anything just quick in and out. I think we ended up with as much as 68 grams in it at 10k', 8000-8200 rpm if I remember right, still doin it. Anyone else have this? Sleds stock other than BMP Full Velocity can.

Might try TSS bypass... never seen one cause issues quite like this one, but seems like its always the first thing a guy should do when having issues.

Did it do it prior to the can?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Did it do it prior to the addition of the can?

Did it do it prior to the can?
Don't know if it was ever run without.

I do realize that's a good place to start, and it will likely come off for the first ride. That said we have run many BMP cans on 800s over the years and NEVER had an issue, so I have my *doubts* of that being the issue.

Even more specifically.... in the last 10 years riding we have never seen a noticable performance loss like this from ANY can in our group, so it would be a first.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Try switching the can with one that runs, if that doesn’t work try the pipe.
The odd part, the weight you are throwing at it at 10,000’. Was it reflashed? It may have missed part of the flash.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Try switching the can with one that runs, if that doesn’t work try the pipe.
The odd part, the weight you are throwing at it at 10,000’. Was it reflashed? It may have missed part of the flash.
Factory flash... The weight, yes bizzarre, some of our older Axys 800s will hardly pull 8000 with 60 grams at 10k.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’ve had bad rollers in the primary cause overev bogging before...........

Same sled adding weight wouldn’t bring the rpm under control........

New rollers and back to normal flyweight ?

C
Dec 2, 2022
Vermont
I have this same issue with a 2020 800. Bought used with the issue. had a crank bearing fail, installed new shortblock, new primary clutch, injectors tested and cleaned, TPS set, throttle safety switch bypassed, elevation correct clutching, no codes, still happens every ride. Particularly in deep snow or under a good load while stabbing the throttle. Wont do it on the trail. Only happens once while the engine is accelerating, once peak rpm is reached runs great.

C
Dec 2, 2022
Vermont
I'm pretty confident I have solved my issue. I recently changed my clutch weights to 73g and have not had any cutting out or hesitation issues in the last two rides. This is a heavier weight than recommended by the manual for my elevation. I ride mostly above 2000' and I'm still able to turn 8300 rpm.

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
I have this same issue with a 2020 800. Bought used with the issue. had a crank bearing fail, installed new shortblock, new primary clutch, injectors tested and cleaned, TPS set, throttle safety switch bypassed, elevation correct clutching, no codes, still happens every ride. Particularly in deep snow or under a good load while stabbing the throttle. Wont do it on the trail. Only happens once while the engine is accelerating, once peak rpm is reached runs great.

Double check belt to sheave

Premium Features