• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020.5 Ski-Doo Turbo thoughts

K
Apr 12, 2018

Ski doo definitely did their homework. I rode one , 2 different days, in ideal powder conditions. No lag, no bog, just pure enjoyment. Plus, I never destroyed a belt. What you find, by riding one, is that most places you ride, you are only using half throttle. But when you need more, its there. Hats off to being the first, and only, manufacturer to tackle this hurdle. Another year of mountain dominance in store for Doo.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Ditto's.. exactly how I saw it. Spent the same amount of time, one day in deep pow, the next day in another area with a bit more set up snow. The power is awesome, has great track speed, absolutely has the "wow factor". With that being said, I'll be 64 next season, and I'm no longer kidding myself, I'm slowing down. My RPM profile just show's that a turbo sled just isn't the way to go, for me anyways. However, the chassis, yeah, I love it enough to spring for the N/A model, it'll keep me in the hills for a few more years, at least

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Thoughts on turbo 165 vs 175 Dave?
The 175 is baically like a 165 in handling but with the traction and smoothness of the 175, it is what i am riding next season, everyone who has rode it is in agreement, i will have both a 165 freeride and 175 summit x expert both in turbos and the 175 will be my go to sled for everything..i get the 165 to have something different...hope that helps.

R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
I was really on the fence regarding the 175, I ended up putting my name on a 165 Freeride Turbo, hope I don't regret the track choice.

I figure with the 16 wide it will still be the same amount of track in the snow as my current 174

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I was really on the fence regarding the 175, I ended up putting my name on a 165 Freeride Turbo, hope I don't regret the track choice.

I figure with the 16 wide it will still be the same amount of track in the snow as my current 174
If you liked your 174 then go 175 turbo, you get in my opinion more that makes a bigger difference and the expert suspension is pretty rad, either will be rad but again the 175 is so much more nimble and the difference over your 174 will be huge! Not even fell like the same sled manuverability wise and up on power and everything else. You can change your spring order to.

K
Apr 12, 2018
Ditto's.. exactly how I saw it. Spent the same amount of time, one day in deep pow, the next day in another area with a bit more set up snow. The power is awesome, has great track speed, absolutely has the "wow factor". With that being said, I'll be 64 next season, and I'm no longer kidding myself, I'm slowing down. My RPM profile just show's that a turbo sled just isn't the way to go, for me anyways. However, the chassis, yeah, I love it enough to spring for the N/A model, it'll keep me in the hills for a few more years, at least
I love hearing from older, wiser riders on here. Its awesome that you are still riding. I ride with a few older guys that dont show their age. On a sled. All 3 figure they have over a 100K miles a piece riding in their career. You might be in that group as well. With that being said, BUY YOURSELF THE TURBO! You know you will love it. We arent getting any younger, and who knows where this crisis is taking us. If you get one more **** eating grin from it next year it will have made it all worth while!

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I absolutely love my 2020.5 Summit Turbo!

The power delivery is nothing short of amazing... The best way I can describe it is: If you took all of the noise and sound away it would just feel like a N/A 850 but with 40hp more. The power curve is that linear! My biggest gripe with aftermarket turbo offerings is that you lose that awesome 850 grunt down low. I really feel that with the Summit Turbo you get the best of both worlds!

The sled also holds a sidehill a lot better than my 2018. I wasn't expecting this so I think I can rule out placebo or "honeymoon" syndrome. I had done what I thought were the big changes for the "expert" package on my 2018 (I had a set of all 4 expert take off shocks and the removable snow flap on my old sled). However, the new 2020.5 summit turbo sidehills noticeably better (it has a subset of the expert package, everything except shorter handlebar riser, hand guards and rear track shock - I have the expert RTS on mine). I still have a sneaking suspicion that if I would have added the expert package ski rubber to my 2018 that I would have had close to the same outcome but I still don't think you can buy the new ski rubbers just yet. I'll have to try them on my wife's 18 next year.

When I was first considering buying the new sled, I had a hard time justifying the price tag. After, laying out all the numbers on what an equivalent sled would cost and factoring in that this one comes with a warranty, I decided that this was a steal of a deal. When I went and rode the sled for the first time, I knew it was worth every penny!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I absolutely love my 2020.5 Summit Turbo!

The power delivery is nothing short of amazing... The best way I can describe it is: If you took all of the noise and sound away it would just feel like a N/A 850 but with 40hp more. The power curve is that linear! My biggest gripe with aftermarket turbo offerings is that you lose that awesome 850 grunt down low. I really feel that with the Summit Turbo you get the best of both worlds!

The sled also holds a sidehill a lot better than my 2018. I wasn't expecting this so I think I can rule out placebo or "honeymoon" syndrome. I had done what I thought were the big changes for the "expert" package on my 2018 (I had a set of all 4 expert take off shocks and the removable snow flap on my old sled). However, the new 2020.5 summit turbo sidehills noticeably better (it has a subset of the expert package, everything except shorter handlebar riser, hand guards and rear track shock - I have the expert RTS on mine). I still have a sneaking suspicion that if I would have added the expert package ski rubber to my 2018 that I would have had close to the same outcome but I still don't think you can buy the new ski rubbers just yet. I'll have to try them on my wife's 18 next year.

When I was first considering buying the new sled, I had a hard time justifying the price tag. After, laying out all the numbers on what an equivalent sled would cost and factoring in that this one comes with a warranty, I decided that this was a steal of a deal. When I went and rode the sled for the first time, I knew it was worth every penny!
glad you are loving it! and yes you should be able to get the new ski rubbers, happy riding!!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I love hearing from older, wiser riders on here. Its awesome that you are still riding. I ride with a few older guys that dont show their age. On a sled. All 3 figure they have over a 100K miles a piece riding in their career. You might be in that group as well. With that being said, BUY YOURSELF THE TURBO! You know you will love it. We arent getting any younger, and who knows where this crisis is taking us. If you get one more **** eating grin from it next year it will have made it all worth while!
that is some good advice!!!

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, it still sits in the back of my mind.. a lot. On the downside, more money, and less warranty. On the up side more power, and better future resale value, also it's as if this package was tailor made for riding in my backyard (Island Park). Oh, what a conundrum

K
Apr 12, 2018
Yeah, it still sits in the back of my mind.. a lot. On the downside, more money, and less warranty. On the up side more power, and better future resale value, also it's as if this package was tailor made for riding in my backyard (Island Park). Oh, what a conundrum
I will make you a deal. If I win the lottery, I'll buy one for you.

F

fassteddie

Nov 27, 2007
renton wa.
Dave have you ridden the 154. i love my 165 but 90% of my riding is in wa, cascade concrete.. just came back from afton and saw 10.800 ft sled ran awesome but would backfire sometime when at elev.when waking throttle and getting back into it setting up for a long pull. talked to another turbo rider and he noticed the same thing... no codes.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Dave have you ridden the 154. i love my 165 but 90% of my riding is in wa, cascade concrete.. just came back from afton and saw 10.800 ft sled ran awesome but would backfire sometime when at elev.when waking throttle and getting back into it setting up for a long pull. talked to another turbo rider and he noticed the same thing... no codes.
Even there I would go with the 165, the 154 will stand straight up in the hard pack and in the deep it will go straight up and the back end will sink down, its gonna be fun watching those next season, the 165 feels like a 154 the 54 is like a 146 now, yes with more flotation but with the power of the turbo...i suggest 165!

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT

I’ve had mine backfire every once in a while. No codes either.

I’ve tried adding some race gas mixed in, in case it’s an octane/fresh fuel issue. Didn’t make a difference.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Not sure what are you are running for oil, I notice mine will pop worse if it’s on anything but skidoo oil. Skidoo oil you have to make really radical throttle movements to ever get it to make any small pop. However on either Lucas or quicksilver (both of which has worked great in my n/a sleds) it will pop with virtually any quick throttle movement

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Not sure what are you are running for oil, I notice mine will pop worse if it’s on anything but skidoo oil. Skidoo oil you have to make really radical throttle movements to ever get it to make any small pop. However on either Lucas or quicksilver (both of which has worked great in my n/a sleds) it will pop with virtually any quick throttle movement
nothing to do with oil, i had it happen a couple of times in yellowstone, nothing at home in bc, pops like a lambo!

Premium Features