• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 - 2021 Black Hills Snow Conditions

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
ok thank you for all your info. I think we going to come and see what we can find. hopefully be in trailshead parking about 830 or before in am. staying in lead

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
So glad I was fortunate enough to get out and burn 230 miles there a couple weeks ago.. Until then....

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Last weeks warm weather took its toll on snow conditions both on and off trail. It is still possible to ride but it is not good. Been no grooming yet in March. They got 2 inches out of this last storm. Some snow predicted over the weekend but the bulk of the snow will be South. In Hot Springs we got 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow. We are suppose to get a foot this weekend. My daughter lives 1 hour South in Crawford NE. They got a foot yesterday and are suppose to get 2 feet this weekend with 45 mph winds.

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
Last weeks warm weather took its toll on snow conditions both on and off trail. It is still possible to ride but it is not good. Been no grooming yet in March. They got 2 inches out of this last storm. Some snow predicted over the weekend but the bulk of the snow will be South. In Hot Springs we got 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow. We are suppose to get a foot this weekend. My daughter lives 1 hour South in Crawford NE. They got a foot yesterday and are suppose to get 2 feet this weekend with 45 mph winds.
Thank you for the update Duane.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
any new info on the trails. going to be down there in a few days, dont know if i should bring sleds or not.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Most areas received 2-4 inches of new snow. South received more with reports of up to 10 inches at the bottom junction 1 and 2. Rode a little bit today but the freezing mist was miserable. It is suppose to be warm this weekend. There will be some areas to ride especially South but you will need to know the area well enough to stay in snow. If you have to solely rely on riding trails it will not be very good this weekend due to the warm weather.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
yeah we would be only be on the trails there and i dont know the area, so it sounds like we might as well leave sleds at home. if it was at all ridable i dont mind riding some ice but if there is dirt showing that wouldnt be ideal.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
glad i left the sleds at home there is nothing here. havent actually seen a trail but we drove down to rushmore and didnt see anything good.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i just noticed looking at the hills that there wasnt any snow and they had supposedly gotten a foot a week earlier. it had been warm all week though too. i wouldnt mind riding the hills sometime but seems like the snow just hasnt been adding up the last few years and once your driving its not too much further for me to head west.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The season is pretty much done. They did get a foot of snow way on the South end of the system however getting to that limited area is an issue. There is some snow in areas but there are too many bare spots in between. We could still get some good snow in April but without a base it will not last long. It was 73 degrees here in Hot Springs. Last season I was still riding on 4/16.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
was at a cabin near lead 8 days ago and couldnt even make a snow man it was too slushy to stick together.

Premium Features