• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 - 2021 Black Hills Snow Conditions

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Appears sdsnocop has abandoned ship here and I'm told he is posting black hills conditions on facebook. I don't have or use facebook but if someone would want to copy and paste from there to here, would be great.
Thanks.
Sorry it has been an uneventful hum drum snow season. I have been lazy about posting what has been going on especially when there has not been any great news to report. I have answered some specific condition questions on facebook "lets ride the Black Hills" and some answers for trail riders on a vintage site. I have not spoke to anyone riding out of Deadwood. Trail conditions going into Lead and Deadwood have been questionable most the season. Yesterdays snow should have helped. Trail 5 going out of Rec springs was getting thin and icy, The rest of the trails were holding good except for close to Mountain Meadows. Off trail is starting to get doable if you are slow and careful. South and Southwest seem to be progressing quicker off trail than North. Sorry I will try to do a better job of updates good or bad.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Sorry it has been an uneventful hum drum snow season. I have been lazy about posting what has been going on especially when there has not been any great news to report. I have answered some specific condition questions on facebook "lets ride the Black Hills" and some answers for trail riders on a vintage site. I have not spoke to anyone riding out of Deadwood. Trail conditions going into Lead and Deadwood have been questionable most the season. Yesterdays snow should have helped. Trail 5 going out of Rec springs was getting thin and icy, The rest of the trails were holding good except for close to Mountain Meadows. Off trail is starting to get doable if you are slow and careful. South and Southwest seem to be progressing quicker off trail than North. Sorry I will try to do a better job of updates good or bad.
Thanks for the update, much appreciated!!!

W
Jan 4, 2017
Thank you Duane for the update you always do a great job and I always look forward to reading your post. See Ya on the Trails this Weekend!!!

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
ya we are trying to plan a trip next weekend. wondering where the best snow might be. we ride have favorite spots north and south of trailshead

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
that sounds good. I have started carrying a satellite phone for emergency and with those you cant just dial 911 so wondering what the actual phone number is for 24/7 emergency dispatch in the hills?

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
Thank you Duane! I have it in my phone now. Can u verify snow amounts yet and which direction is best from trailshead looking forward?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Around 2 inches here at hardy as of 8:15. Still snowing lightly. NWS is saying 1-3 tonight here at hardy and 3-7 to the North. Went north this morning and east this afternoon. Trails good North, areas close to the trail tracked up. Trail 5 going east was icy, had to respond to a bad injury accident on 5. Talked to 1 group that trail rode south and said trails were real good and talked to 1 group that rode off trail south and said they found good snow.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
thank you have a plan A now. hope to see you next weekend. coming in from central nebraska

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
I know it has gotten warm. Don't have high expectations but wondering if can still sled to mtn meadows and or spearfish canyon lodge?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I was into Spearfish Canyon yesterday. Snow all the way in but gravel was starting to show up the last mile into the lodge. The only chance of getting into Mountain Meadows is to go across trail 9 to 2 and cross the lake. I was almost across trail 9 on Monday to pickup a dead mountain lion on the trail. Trail 9 portion on the road was still in good shape on Monday.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
ill call trailshead before we leave today but do you know the condition of the parking across the road? is Dumont better when starts to warm up? or should we abandon ship and head to the snowies instead?

Premium Features