• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 - 2021 Black Hills Snow Conditions

F
Jan 18, 2008
Pagosa Springs CO
Just stay on the trails....and even on those you take a risk. Swing 6 inches too wide on a trail corner and hit a rock on the edge just covered with snow and you just spent $800 on a new ski, aarms spindles etc...ask me how I know.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
We have riden out here for over 30 years. Only wrecked and Ifs arm in the 90s. We generally ride off trail when the kids aren't with and we have not hit anything that does damage You just have to be cautious but that is no different than anywhere else. Use your eyes and dont drive 60 mph youll be fine.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Great ride today temps are starting to improve. 40 percent off trail. Seems like ut it might be starting to set up in places. Still way below normal as to snow depth. But definitely ridable. Could definitely use a foot or two20210214_173607.jpg20210214_173249.jpg20210214_173451.jpg

S
Feb 14, 2012
any chance there's a GPS map available for the Snowmobile Trail System? I downloaded the SDGFP MVUM maps for the hills but they don't specifically show the snowmobile trails persay.

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
SLE. Download the Polaris Ride command App. have both off road and also snow maps

S
Feb 14, 2012
SLE. Download the Polaris Ride command App. have both off road and also snow maps
Thank you! Downloaded the App and then downloaded the "offline map" for the area. Thanks! We're hitting the road thursday night with intentions of riding friday, saturday, and maybe sunday. Looking forward!

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Thank you! Downloaded the App and then downloaded the "offline map" for the area. Thanks! We're hitting the road thursday night with intentions of riding friday, saturday, and maybe sunday. Looking forward!
Same riding dates here also.. hope trails are ok.

J

jarrodmaas

Dec 28, 2009
Its sad the hills aren't getting the snow like last year.... Still hoping for the big one but days are running out, ride mostly off trail...

Dec 17, 2013
Its sad the hills aren't getting the snow like last year.... Still hoping for the big one but days are running out, ride mostly off trail...
Agree! We waited as long as we could. Just not their year. Although there is still a little time. Our last trip last season was 2/27 or 2/28 and it was epic!

bigairrmk

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2010
Im heading to the hills on the 26th, staying close to 5T trailhead. First time riding there and based on above posts, realize there is not much snow. Any trails to avoid? Rough estimate on time/miles from 5T trailhead to Trailshead lodge? Wondering how big of a loop to take.
Thanks!

jeffxc700

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
SUX
Im heading to the hills on the 26th, staying close to 5T trailhead. First time riding there and based on above posts, realize there is not much snow. Any trails to avoid? Rough estimate on time/miles from 5T trailhead to Trailshead lodge? Wondering how big of a loop to take.
Thanks
You might think of trailering to Dumont lot if conditions don't get better.. just my 2 cents as I just returned from there today. had a blast though burning trails.

W
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks!
Big Air see on the trails also heading out on the 26th. Staying in Deadwood. Try Lewies bar for a burger they are awesome.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Appears sdsnocop has abandoned ship here and I'm told he is posting black hills conditions on facebook. I don't have or use facebook but if someone would want to copy and paste from there to here, would be great.
Thanks.

Premium Features