• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Mountain Cat vs 16 Sno Pro

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
Looking into getting a new sled. I’ve found a new 19 twin rail mountain cat. How much of an upgrade is that over a 16 m8000 sno pro? I wouldn’t be opposed to trying an axys or an alpha but they’re at least $1500 to a couple grand more than the twin rail mountain cat. I ride in the U.P. and try to make it out west once or twice a year. I weigh 160 lbs without gear. There are times I struggle with my 16 but some of that is learning and for the most part it’s treated me good. I’ve been a cat guy my whole life but feel as if the axys is a good sled as well. Any input is greatly appreciated..

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
I have about 1,200 miles on my 16, mostly stock. Fingers cut off the 2.6, a can, Dual pressure reservoirs on front shocks, qsl rts and stock fts. About 1200 miles on it. C&A xcs skis.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Have you ridden a cat with the c-tech and newer clutches? They're pretty neat.

Other than that, the same sled pretty much. You'll get the track, better power delivery and better low-mid range grunt. Oh yeah, and controls that weren't designed in the 1800s when showing off volume of plastic was high class.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
Have you ridden a cat with the c-tech and newer clutches? They're pretty neat.

Other than that, the same sled pretty much. You'll get the track, better power delivery and better low-mid range grunt. Oh yeah, and controls that weren't designed in the 1800s when showing off volume of plastic was high class.

I’ve got a 19 hc(love it so far) but haven’t had a chance to ride it off trail much. That doesn’t have the drop and rolled chain case and neither does my 16..

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The dropped case is overrated IMO. All it does is guarantee you're going to hit your chaincase on things, including your sled deck/truck/flatbed. I put a dropped case on my 16 after riding it with the 8t drivers for a while and if I had the option, I wouldn't have put the longer chaincase on. The drivers do more.

Sleds with the dropped case just feel way more planted on the front. Good and bad depending on what you're doing. They sidehill a little more stable in that they don't wash quite as easily, and makes it harder to get that playful light front end when on the gas. But not worth the tradeoff IMO. Most guys never ran the 8t drivers with a 3" track. Keep that in mind when people start jumping on my case screaming that the dropped case changed the planet. It was the drivers that did most of it IMO.

If it were me, if you have the 153 skid/rails.......I'd just put a narrower front end and 3" PC on your high country and call it a day. 8t drivers if they're not already on there.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
The dropped case is overrated IMO. All it does is guarantee you're going to hit your chaincase on things, including your sled deck/truck/flatbed. I put a dropped case on my 16 after riding it with the 8t drivers for a while and if I had the option, I wouldn't have put the longer chaincase on. The drivers do more.

Sleds with the dropped case just feel way more planted on the front. Good and bad depending on what you're doing. They sidehill a little more stable in that they don't wash quite as easily, and makes it harder to get that playful light front end when on the gas. But not worth the tradeoff IMO. Most guys never ran the 8t drivers with a 3" track. Keep that in mind when people start jumping on my case screaming that the dropped case changed the planet. It was the drivers that did most of it IMO.

If it were me, if you have the 153 skid/rails.......I'd just put a narrower front end and 3" PC on your high country and call it a day. 8t drivers if they're not already on there.

Thanks for all your input, makes sense. my hc is a 141, I use that for trail riding occasionally with the family as well.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
The '19 with the ctec and narrowed running boards offers significant advantages over the '16 in power and ease of sidehilling. The low and mid range torque is significantly stronger. For sidehilling, you can pretty much ride in the neutral position until it gets pretty darn steep. The ascender configuration rolls up easier and holds a higher edge allowing easier sidehilling on steep slopes without panel/running board interference. Read the reviews. There is a reason that it wasn't until 2018 that most Cat critics finally gave positive reviews to a cat mountain sled and they were right that the ascender chassis and ctec are a very large improvement. I wouldn't ride a pre-2018 cat at this point and I owned a '14 proclimb, '15 proclimb with updated '16 spindles and A arms, '17 mountain cat and now an '18 mountain cat. I don't know what these guys are talking about. The difference is huge.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have a 14 with all the 16 goodies except the secondary clutch.
It has 8tooth drivers and a 3in claw. Jaws pipe and MDS weights.
I also have an 18mtn cat and an Alpha.
~170hp zuke vs 155hp Ctec
My 14 has more top end power but the Ctec is so clean and smooth throughout the powerband.
The dropped case is only beneficial when stopped or going really slow. As soon as ur on the gas, that part of the track isn't even touching the snow. I do however, like the clearance between the track and front heat exchange. I believe the tight clearance on my 14 with the 3in and 8tooth robs power at high RPM, even on the trail. Air needs space to evacuate and there isn't much there.

My 14 and 18 are very similar in initiating a side hill, they have basically the same suspension so, there is no reason they shouldn't be the same if the shocks are setup the same...

That said, the ascender chassis is much improved for sidehilling, huge difference in steep slopes, very little difference in shallow slopes around 30° and less.

Stock for stock the 18/19 will beat the 16 in every aspect of riding, not a huge difference but definitely enough for me to chose the Ascender.

Sent it

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The '19 with the ctec and narrowed running boards offers significant advantages over the '16 in power and ease of sidehilling. The low and mid range torque is significantly stronger. For sidehilling, you can pretty much ride in the neutral position until it gets pretty darn steep. The ascender configuration rolls up easier and holds a higher edge allowing easier sidehilling on steep slopes without panel/running board interference. Read the reviews. There is a reason that it wasn't until 2018 that most Cat critics finally gave positive reviews to a cat mountain sled and they were right that the ascender chassis and ctec are a very large improvement. I wouldn't ride a pre-2018 cat at this point and I owned a '14 proclimb, '15 proclimb with updated '16 spindles and A arms, '17 mountain cat and now an '18 mountain cat. I don't know what these guys are talking about. The difference is huge.

Forgot to mention, I did put narrower B&M boards on my 16 and pulled in the panels a bit.

I'm a little more ambivalent about how much of a difference it makes. The stiffness of the boards does wonders, not so convinced the minor about of narrowing has a similar effect. The 16 and up has the same steering as the new sleds, don't forget. I still stand by what I said about the main difference between the 18+ and a 16 is the motor and clutch. The narrower bit is far too little of a difference.

So if I don’t need the drop and rolled case for the 3” could I fit the alpha conversion kit in my 16 sno pro?

I'd be a little cognizant of the approach angle. The alpha rail was designed with the dropped case so you may end up putting too much pressure from the track on the front of the rail.

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I have a 17 (that is a lot better than the 16) and a 18. It is not the same sled. The 18/19 twin rail is 1 incredible sled !!! It is a huge upgrade from a 16.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I have a 17 (that is a lot better than the 16) and a 18. It is not the same sled. The 18/19 twin rail is 1 incredible sled !!! It is a huge upgrade from a 16.
What do you feel like is that much better about the'18 Mountain Cat over the '17 Mountain Cat? It seems that many find the 800 CTech to have more low to mid range power, but less top end vs the Suzuki 800 HO?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Other than the camo mountain cat, the 16s and 17s are the same sled.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Do you guys think the 19 twin rail will lose value quicker because they don’t make them anymore and it isn’t an Alpha?
If someone can convince me that the C-Tech is so way,way better than the Suzuki 800 HO in peak HP, power delivery & longevity, I would snatch up a '19 twin rail Mountain Cat & put an IceAge Elevate kit on it and ride circles around other sleds and be very happy not riding a monorail Alpha! Although, I would love to have the 3.5 pitch 3" PC track on a twin rail as well.

Last edited:
Premium Features