• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Alpha overheating engine and new t stat

S
Jan 20, 2009
For those of you having engine temp problems you may look at your thermostat. This is what happened to mine. Cooked both cylinders and pistons as well. Found out they have a new part number on the thermostat. I will see what the new one looks like. Obviously the thermostat was trying to open but could not as it was hitting the crankcase inside the thermostat housing. Just started having issues with temps this year.
IMG_3096.jpgIMG_3097.jpg

S
Jan 20, 2009
I believe you can just pull the clutch to change it out. There is one bolt on the upper corner of the housing that is hard to access. With the TCL off you have full access. The new thermostat is only $13.99 from Country Cat.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Anyone check the T-stat to see what temp it opens at? I was at my dealer the other day and they had a motor apart on a sled that severely over heated. When they tested the t-stat it didn’t open until 180 degrees. Seems very high for a 2-stroke sled.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Anyone check the T-stat to see what temp it opens at? I was at my dealer the other day and they had a motor apart on a sled that severely over heated. When they tested the t-stat it didn’t open until 180 degrees. Seems very high for a 2-stroke sled.

Definitely defective.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It's gotta be around 100°. That is what the sleds run at in deep snow...
Engine won't run cooler than what the stat opens at.

Sent it

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
thanks for this info! soooo- would this defect also be prone to cause it to run too cold? had a few days this year it seemed stuck open, running 94-104 (so very low power). Thought it was electrical since it seemed to solve itself and reappear a month later.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
thanks for this info! soooo- would this defect also be prone to cause it to run too cold? had a few days this year it seemed stuck open, running 94-104 (so very low power). Thought it was electrical since it seemed to solve itself and reappear a month later.
Deep snow and mine runs 98-105°
I'd say that's normal.

Sent it

Premium Features