• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Alpha Hyfax Issues

M
Nov 26, 2007
Just a heads up...in the process of putting a h.d. rear bumper on, pulled the rear skid out and found the inside of the hyfax wore down to the alum. in four places. The track clips design having an open window shears the hyfax in 4 places, mine were down to the "T" bars that hold the hyfax on. 200 miles of backcountry riding.....gotta close those windows in the clips..
good luck!
sorry if someone's posted about this previously

jb800

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Currently MN
Just a heads up...in the process of putting a h.d. rear bumper on, pulled the rear skid out and found the inside of the hyfax wore down to the alum. in four places. The track clips design having an open window shears the hyfax in 4 places, mine were down to the "T" bars that hold the hyfax on. 200 miles of backcountry riding.....gotta close those windows in the clips..
good luck!
sorry if someone's posted about this previously

I had the same thing. Looked like I ran them through a cheese grader. What's everyone running the track tension at. Country Cat made mention of. 1 inch at 20lbs.

ridgelinerunner

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
Track Tension

The Alpha One track clips will work out of the groove between both hi-faxes and start scratching on the bottom of them. The track needs to be 2" of sag at 20lbs of weight in the center of the rail. I have noticed the tracks stretch very fast, if the tension is not checked the clips will start grading!

E
Jun 26, 2013
Here is the generic answer that I received. Two inches at twenty pounds of pressure. Going to tight can lead to other issues, my hy fax did the same thing at 70 miles. The manufacturer states to check tension after every ride on these and the track will break in at 300 miles. Once those clips have a groove made they seem really prone to riding in it. After I changed hy fax (left side) I haven't had the same problem. This was my experience.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
My hyfax were pretty tore up from the track clips when I replaced the alpha rail. The rail and hyfax were both covered under warranty

M
Nov 26, 2007
just "j-B welded the cavity in the track clips, then rounded all edges w/mini grinder. This should solve the problem if the J-B stays in there. lol
I ck my tension every pre-ride....2" x 20lbs. last spring ride hyfax lasted two days. 300-400 yd side hill, track ripped the last 10" of hyfax off one rail.
good luck!!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
crappy! I found my sliders at 1600 km were worn out just up front of the bogey wheels, pressure point. Inside was OK. I also installed more track clips as well which I know will help with that issue, I found the hyfax was wearing into the track at the every window that was not clipped, wouldn't be surprised to see cords by 3000 km or so on the track.

J
Mar 8, 2019
How are you guys checking the track tension? I assume it’s measured from the center underneath the skid is there a way to do it without lifting the whole sled off the ground?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Had 730 miles on mine. Never touched the track tension from what dealer set it. Just checked it before I traded it in and it was fine. There was one scar up front but still fine.

Premium Features