• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019-2020 Black Hills Conditions

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
4-6 inches of new snow last night. A little wind this morning to blow it around some. The snow from the Thanksgiving weekend storm has settled quite a bit with the warm temps last weekend. I am almost finished with the pre season trail inspections. I have trail 7 and the trails into Lead and Deadwood to finish tomorrow. Conditions look great for mid December. I found some bare spots in the Flag Mountain area and close to Mountain Meadow. Some scattered thin spots mostly due to routes being plowed in November for logging activities. The balance of the trail routes look real good. Snow conditions are good in the Trailshead / Buckhorn area. The snow to the South is less and more to the North. Snow is really good in the Cement Ridge, Spearfish Canyon, Dumont, and Recreational Springs area.

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Question what are the parking rules if a person where to leave their trailer overnight at either savoy or dumont lot cant seen to find that info on the web. Thanks in advance

K
Dec 5, 2018
Moorhead, MN
How much snow is actually on the ground in the meadows now? Is there enough base to make them relatively safe? How much snow has fallen this year compared to the same time last year? Thank You!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
How much snow is actually on the ground in the meadows now? Is there enough base to make them relatively safe? How much snow has fallen this year compared to the same time last year? Thank You!

Depending where you are at you will find depths of knee deep to over waist deep. Current snowfall equals end of January last year. Cabin owner who lives between Spearfish Canyon and Cement ridge has recorded just over 100 inches for this season.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Not looking good, snotel dropped from 21 to 14”, still not terrible for this time of year, but need some fresh. Also saw 43 degrees at the snotel, which is at 6900 ft elevation.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Not looking good, snotel dropped from 21 to 14”, still not terrible for this time of year, but need some fresh. Also saw 43 degrees at the snotel, which is at 6900 ft elevation.

The Blind Park SNOTEL site is not sending consistent reliable snow depth measurements this year for some reason. Look at the hourly data for the week and you will find most hours no snow depth data was recorded and the times data did show up it varied between 21 and 14 inches. It even showed a jump from 14 to 19 inches in an hour. If you compare the Rapid Creek snotel site it only dropped 1 inch over the same week period with warmer temps for a much longer time. I was up riding for work last Friday thru Tuesday and it never got above freezing the entire period. I was called out Sunday night for a family stuck on the snowmobile trail. On the ride back to Hardy Camp it was -4. Monday night was 0 at Hardy. Warm temps do not do much damage this time of year.

K
Dec 5, 2018
Moorhead, MN
I have been riding here since Tuesday and am about to head out again shortly. There is definitely more snow to the north but it is still good to the south. In the meadows it’s relatively safe as long as you’re vigilant. I’ve bumped a couple things but I’m playing without to much worry. Once you go up on the side hills and things then you’re going to be hopping over logs and stumps. I was here last year around this same time and it’s miles ahead this year. As far as the warmer temperatures. This it my 3rd time here riding and like everyone else, I looked and saw temperatures in the 40s and thought all the snow is going to disappear. It doesn’t work like that up in the hills so don’t let the warmer temps scare you off. Just dress lighter during the day and come ride. The trails are great and off trail is a lot of fun as well.

Tunzafun

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 17, 2019
I have been riding here since Tuesday and am about to head out again shortly. There is definitely more snow to the north but it is still good to the south. In the meadows it’s relatively safe as long as you’re vigilant. I’ve bumped a couple things but I’m playing without to much worry. Once you go up on the side hills and things then you’re going to be hopping over logs and stumps. I was here last year around this same time and it’s miles ahead this year. As far as the warmer temperatures. This it my 3rd time here riding and like everyone else, I looked and saw temperatures in the 40s and thought all the snow is going to disappear. It doesn’t work like that up in the hills so don’t let the warmer temps scare you off. Just dress lighter during the day and come ride. The trails are great and off trail is a lot of fun as well.
Thanks for the update. Appreciate the input!

Premium Features