• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019-2020 Black Hills Conditions

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Time to start the Black Hills conditions thread. It is early but the base is coming along excellent. Rode a little yesterday Trailshead and North. 12-16 inches of snow in most areas. Snow is good and dense. Was able to ride off trail on a safe meadow and the sled stayed on top. Trailshead is reporting 54 inches of snow fall so far this fall. A cabin owner near Cement Ridge is reporting 62 inches of snow fall. Trailshead did not reach 54 inches of snow last year until December 31st.

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_155114.jpg
    IMG_20191107_155114.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20191107_124112.jpg
    IMG_20191107_124112.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 121

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Thanks for the update Duane. Does anyone know what the story is on leaving your trailer at Trailshead? As I watched the webcam last winter, it looked like several trailers were parked in the same spot across the road all season, do you have to pay for that?

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Time to start the Black Hills conditions thread. It is early but the base is coming along excellent. Rode a little yesterday Trailshead and North. 12-16 inches of snow in most areas. Snow is good and dense. Was able to ride off trail on a safe meadow and the sled stayed on top. Trailshead is reporting 54 inches of snow fall so far this fall. A cabin owner near Cement Ridge is reporting 62 inches of snow fall. Trailshead did not reach 54 inches of snow last year until December 31st.
Thanks Snocop

U
Feb 3, 2019
Thanks for the update Duane. Does anyone know what the story is on leaving your trailer at Trailshead? As I watched the webcam last winter, it looked like several trailers were parked in the same spot across the road all season, do you have to pay for that?
Not sure if they charge or not you will have to call 605 584 3464 is there number

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
hope so. got reservations over Christmas break. im so ready to let her rip in the hills. thank you snocop for the awesome snow reports throughout the snow season

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Trails open December 15. Talked to Trailshead today and they said they will not allow trailers to park overnight in the lot across the road. Something about someone complaining to GFP about it. Anyone know any other place right around there to leave an enclosed trailer for the season?

U
Feb 3, 2019
Trails open December 15. Talked to Trailshead today and they said they will not allow trailers to park overnight in the lot across the road. Something about someone complaining to GFP about it. Anyone know any other place right around there to leave an enclosed trailer for the season?
Rec springs out side of lead will be your best bet 605 584 1228 give them a try

Tunzafun

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 17, 2019
Exciting to hear that you guys are off to a good start. We've been wanting to head out for a few years and I think this is the year. Been looking at houses to rent and a buddy recommended spearfish canyon lodge, any advice? Houses vs lodges? Best area to stay?
Thanks!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Exciting to hear that you guys are off to a good start. We've been wanting to head out for a few years and I think this is the year. Been looking at houses to rent and a buddy recommended spearfish canyon lodge, any advice? Houses vs lodges? Best area to stay?
Thanks!
I like the lodge. Rooms are nice, big area to hang out if you are with a bigger group, + the restaurant next door is nice. You can also ride from the lodge so no daily load/unload. Not sure how many houses you can find that are on the trails unless you get something close to Lead at which point you are kinda at the mercy of the weather as those are usually the first trails to have patchy snow.

Arcticmatt

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2017
We are heading out over Christmas break as well. Things are looking promising. Anything coming in the next couple weeks to add to this base?

S
Nov 17, 2019
I like the lodge. Rooms are nice, big area to hang out if you are with a bigger group, + the restaurant next door is nice. You can also ride from the lodge so no daily load/unload. Not sure how many houses you can find that are on the trails unless you get something close to Lead at which point you are kinda at the mercy of the weather as those are usually the first trails to have patchy snow.
Our group has been looking for a new place to ride as well we have been doing the U.P. Thing for awhile now looking for a new adventure. I like the bar stops the u.p.has to offer what’s it like riding around the black hills area plenty of stops?

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Our group has been looking for a new place to ride as well we have been doing the U.P. Thing for awhile now looking for a new adventure. I like the bar stops the u.p.has to offer what’s it like riding around the black hills area plenty of stops?

Ehhhh not a huge selection. almost like there are 4 with 1 in the center. Trails head center. Head west you got Buckhorn which is a fun bar. East you get Rec Springs North you get spearfish canyon lodge. South there is Deer field which I presume will be open this year. There used to be a couple others but I'm not so certain about them. Custer Crossing used to have gas/food and a nice lady running it. Assuming you like hitting 2-3 stops you are good since trails head and buckhorn are close together. Some of the locals can probably chime in with more recent info. I haven't been out there in a year or 2.

Tunzafun

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 17, 2019

Thanks. There's a couple houses that say the trails are accessable thru spearfish canyon. I'm assuming that means off trail and I have no idea where I'm at. We've been told Deadwood area is good for night life. Im guessing that's a lot of trailering?? Same for lead area?
I really appreciate the info

S
Nov 17, 2019
Ok thank you. Have u ever been to the up? just curious is the hills a better place to ride or should we stay going there the scenery looks great in the hills but have heard u gotta chase the snow if u wanna ride in the hills vs. the up it always has snow not great but usually good. Any input would be great we take out a big group and it’s hard to convince people that ride in the up die hard to try something new

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Thanks. There's a couple houses that say the trails are accessable thru spearfish canyon. I'm assuming that means off trail and I have no idea where I'm at. We've been told Deadwood area is good for night life. Im guessing that's a lot of trailering?? Same for lead area?
I really appreciate the info
If they say accessible through the canyon you most likely have to trailer up to spearfish canyon lodge unless you got a house that is quite close maybe? Even from closer to the bottom I think its like a 20-30 minute drive each way so not awful. But if you are cool with trailering the sleds then I'd get a place near deadwood and drive to trailshead so you at least start in the center of the trail system. That is a 30-45 minute drive each way so not bad honestly.

@Skidoohawk8 I have never gone east but I heard the snow is usually awesome up there. The black hills are awesome if you time it right you can have fantastic snow. But at least in years past they don't consistently get snow and for whatever reason they tend to get 40 degree+ days more than other areas. The trails are usually kept in really good shape, but if you want over the hood deep powder riding you gotta time it right.

Tunzafun

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 17, 2019
If they say accessible through the canyon you most likely have to trailer up to spearfish canyon lodge unless you got a house that is quite close maybe? Even from closer to the bottom I think its like a 20-30 minute drive each way so not awful. But if you are cool with trailering the sleds then I'd get a place near deadwood and drive to trailshead so you at least start in the center of the trail system. That is a 30-45 minute drive each way so not bad honestly.

I would like to avoid trailering so I'll call the lodge. Their website is down so I wasn't able to check availability there.
Hopefully this thread is full of new snowfall totals!
Thanks

Premium Features