• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Sidewinder MTX vs MTX SE

neumann

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2011
All,
I am buying a new 2018 Sidewinder MTX in the next couple of days. I am looking at a standard MTX vs an MTX SE. I like the HPG coil over shocks and 2.6 PC on the MTX but the MTX SE is ~$1500 cheaper. I didn't love the Float 1/2's on my MCX 190 Nytro but they did the job. How do the Float 3's perform? I am also a little worried about the performance and durability of the 3" PC on the trails, in spring riding conditions and braking during step descents. I can always change the track later but hate to tear into a brand new sled. On the other hand, I could probably make a few hundred bucks by selling the new 3" PC and replacing it with the tried and true M9175.

Thoughts? Any strong opinions about the 2.6 vs 3.0 PC? I ride in all kinds of conditions (deep powder, hard pack, hill climbing, small jumps, tree riding and 80 mph down the trail). I always run scratchers on the trails and have had good luck with both a 2.6 PC and 2.5 Camo Extreme on my Nytro. I am leaning toward spending a little more money on the lower spec sled to get closer to what I want. Am I crazy?

Thanks for any input,
Clayton

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
IMO the 3" PC is the best mountain track on the snow and is probably only topped by the 3" PC Alpha track.
That being said, since you like to travel at high speed down the trail I probably go with the 2.6 PC as it is still a very good track. Also 80 MPH speeds are hard on 3" tracks.
Bill

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Tough call. I really don't like those air shocks or the 3 inch track. Personally, I don't care about ripping into a new machine. So I'd buy the cheaper SE sell the stock shocks and the track and order some elkas or exit shocks and a camo extreme. For yourself it seems like the base model is exactly what you are looking for, so dont feel bad about paying more for something you can ride as is.

neumann

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to buy the cheaper SE. I think I will sell the 3” PC and replace it with the 2.5” Camo Extreme and take a look at a good set of coil over shocks. Not sure what the delta vs Floats will be but I like the idea of dumping them.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
For reference on the value of the track, I sold my 3" 153" PC with 900 miles and no rips/tears for $800 and we split the shipping. Shipping a track is expensive and I ended up with about $720 in my pocket. If yours is a new take off with 0 miles, then it would be worth a little more.
I sold mine when I put an Alpha kit on.
Shocks are a little harder to sell as there are a lot of different units for sale in the various swap meets. Float 3's are better then the Float 1/2 versions. Float 3's also respond well when you have them re-valved for specific weight and riding style. Re-valving is fairly cheap to do and can make a significant difference in ride quality for some guys.

neumann

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the info. Looks like I can get a new M9175 for $620 so I should be able to make that swap for no cost. You are right on the shocks, they will likely require significant investment.

Premium Features