• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 RMK Pro...SKS Idler Wheels?

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Hello all,

I just sold my 2011 RMK Pro 155" and bought a mint 2018 RMK Pro Axys 155" 2.6 with 300 miles and E-Start on it.

I read up on things and see I need to clip the track everywhere Polaris decided they'd shave some weight (thanks Polaris!)...got the clips and tool coming in the mail.

The wife and I primarily ride our sleds on groomed trails because of our age (and my screwed up back and neck!) and use scratchers 100% of the time generally.

I'm kinda thinking I may need to install some SKS idler wheels to help save on hyfax wear too?

I see however, that they mount the wheels closer together with no scratcher on the SKS's for some reason??

I think I'd put one wheel forward of the scratcher and one wheel aft of the scratcher kind of like you see on the older RMK Pros? I'm certainly not gonna eliminate the scratcher.

Do the SKS's use a different style wheel mount than traditional wheel mounts found on earlier RMK Pro rails?? I see they're different part numbers is why I ask.

I know, I know....I could have bought an SKS to begin with, but they're kind of a rare bird around these parts.

Thanks!

F
Dec 30, 2019
I had almost the opposite scenario. My wife and I ride predominantly off trail/mountains. So I bought two 2018 SKS's, ditched the idler wheels and added scratchers. I wanted the versatility to ride trails and flatland if we chose. Basically I wanted the extra cooler in the SKS, and I don't mind having a chaincase. The most groomed trail we ride is maybe 15km into the alpine. Before I installed scratchers it would hit 150*C in short order and you could smell hyfax from her sled in front...lol. We would be pulling off looking for snow for cooling.....just like the purebred mountain sleds. Not sure what they were thinking not having any scratchers. Now with scratchers the sleds barely see 120*C. If we were going to do a long trail ride I would maybe add a set back on since it only takes a few minutes. I can take a picture of the mounts over the weekend and post it here, but I'm currently at work.

idler wheels 2.jpg

Idler Wheels 1.jpg

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington

Thank you so much...that is exactly the information and pics I was looking for!

Those mounts do look like an updated version from the years old traditional idler mount design...guess that rules out buying some cheap take offs on eBay.

Probably have to order the mounts from a factory parts vendor....unless of course you'd like to sell me a set of four of those? I've got Paypal, I'm in area code 98513 (Washington State).

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

F
Dec 30, 2019
Thank you so much...that is exactly the information and pics I was looking for!

Those mounts do look like an updated version from the years old traditional idler mount design...guess that rules out buying some cheap take offs on eBay.

Probably have to order the mounts from a factory parts vendor....unless of course you'd like to sell me a set of four of those? I've got Paypal, I'm in area code 98513 (Washington State).

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Sorry man not for sale, but happy I could help at least.

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I know at least a few mountain riders on the SKS who've taken the wheels off in exchange for scratchers. You ought to be able to find used wheels pretty cheap.

SS 155 dragon

Premium Member
Mar 29, 2009
Oregon
I have a pair of idler wheels that are excellent condition off a pro rmk I had sold if it can help you.They are not same part # that I needed to use on my 850 Khaos's. I'm in Oregon

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I have a pair of idler wheels that are excellent condition off a pro rmk I had sold if it can help you.They are not same part # that I needed to use on my 850 Khaos's. I'm in Oregon

Yeah, thats what I've been trying to figure out too.

It would appear, that Polaris may have redesigned the rails and mounts on the '16 and up sleds, meaning the previous Pro mounts wont fit without modification...near as I can tell anyway?

SS 155 dragon

Premium Member
Mar 29, 2009
Oregon

It would appear, that Polaris may have redesigned the rails and mounts on the '16 and up sleds, meaning the previous Pro mounts wont fit without modification...near as I can tell anyway?

You can order the correct wheels from a dealer that are designed for the newer rails.?

L
Aug 2, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
What was the part number for your Khaos? I have a 2022 Khaos snow checked but can't find a part for the Khaos wheels anywhere. I know I will need to put some on.

Premium Features