• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 primary bearing

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Can someone tell me if the roller bearing is always free spinning? Does it hang up on anything and then free up?
I took my belt off and had a look at the faces to make sure things are good.
I then spun that bearing to make sure it was moving freely. It did at first but soon hung up. Now it doesn’t want to turn. Correction. There’s printing on the bearing. If I put that printing on top where I can read it. I can spin the bearing forward(left) 3 full turns. Then it stops or hangs up. Then if I go back 3 full turns, I’m able to spin it 2 full turns(right), then stops or hangs up.

Yesterday-1st ride on the clutch that Cat replaced on warranty-my belt would squeal on start up for about 3-5 seconds then stop. If I came to a stop from riding, it would squeal for about 5 seconds then stop.
This started after about 15 miles of riding.
New clutch and new spring.
Theres belt marks on the lower face of the shives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Yeah I figured as much. I was just hoping “maybe” there was some sort of keeper or stop when it was shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Sounds like yours is unfortunately a new dud!

With my belt on mine, mine behaves "sticky", I notice the clutch spins but the bearing wont (normal,) then it'll catch and spin with the clutch rotation which it shouldn't... BUT when the sled is running it has yet to ever squeel or make noise/no signs of rubber stuck to the surface of it indicating it was seized and wearing the belt.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I don’t know if this is related but I think it could be.
There was something else strange that happened. I didn’t think too much about it at the time.
I stopped on the side of a fairly steep hill. I dug the sled in because I needed to pick up a shovel handle.
It was steep enough I was resting on the left lower side panel. When taking back off, I gave it enough throttle to get out of the hole I dug in. It didn’t want to go and seemed like the track wasn’t spinning. I opened the side panel and blipped the throttle. The belt spun but didn’t engage. It was also way up the clutch. I pulled a ski downhill and jumped on and tried again and it went as normal.

Last edited:
B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
I don’t know if this is related but I think it could be.
There was something else strange that happened. I didn’t think too much about it at the time.
I stopped on the side of a fairly steep hill. I dug the sled in because I needed to pick up a shovel handle.
It was steep enough I was resting on the left lower side panel. When taking back off, I gave it enough throttle to get out of the hole I dug in. It didn’t want to go and seemed like the track wasn’t spinning. I opened the side panel and blipped the throttle. The belt spun but didn’t engage. It was also way up the clutch. I pulled a ski downhill and jumped on and tried again and it went as normal. Clearly some binding going on in there.

If you spin the track & then grab the brake, the belt will stay up in the clutch as you described. It won't return to neutral until you give it enough gas to re-engage the clutch or coast downhill. It's normal.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
If you spin the track & then grab the brake, the belt will stay up in the clutch as you described. It won't return to neutral until you give it enough gas to re-engage the clutch or coast downhill. It's normal.

Thanks for that info. Thats exactly how it went.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
And that's why you need to give it some throttle hit going down to actually slowdown so the belt grabs again

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Premium Features