• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 or 2019?

Arcticmatt

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2017
Looking at changing from Cat to Polaris. There are several carry-overs on some 18's and 19's. Any real big differences between to two model years? Prices are decent and I like they way they feel so narrow when compared to the new Cat's and my current ride. Current ride is a 14 M8000 153 and I am done trying to deal with the piss poor build quality and questionable engineering. I am not a mountain expert but do luck out once in a while and get to take a decent trip way out west. Looking at a 155 2.6 as I want the belt drive. Any help would be appreciated as I am new to the Polaris side of things.

TallCan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2016
Sierra Nevadas
IMO they’ve got that motor figured out. Then you could upgrade suspension or whatever you want.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
If the money is close go for the 19 because of the front end but if there is more than $1000 difference between them get the 18 and put different arms to get to 36" front.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
If the money is close go for the 19 because of the front end but if there is more than $1000 difference between them get the 18 and put different arms to get to 36" front.
X2. All the dealers around me are currently ~$2000 price difference between an 18 and 19 800. I would save the 2000 all day as the react front end is not worth that, and get an aftermarket front end (preferably raptor 37” a arms) instead.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Not to steer you away from Poo, because I'm a Poo mountain rider and I think they perform a bit better than a Cat, but have you tried the Ascender chassis yet? It's a night and day difference, narrower body panels and Team clutching to start with. Rode with a buddy last season, that has an '18 Mountain Cat, and it was impressive.

Btw, I'm all about brand loyalty. I'm loyal to them all. I've got all 4 of the manufacturer's sleds sitting in my garage

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Not to steer you away from Poo, because I'm a Poo mountain rider and I think they perform a bit better than a Cat, but have you tried the Ascender chassis yet? It's a night and day difference, narrower body panels and Team clutching to start with. Rode with a buddy last season, that has an '18 Mountain Cat, and it was impressive.

Btw, I'm all about brand loyalty. I'm loyal to them all. I've got all 4 of the manufacturer's sleds sitting in my garage

The cat has improved but still not up to a Polaris yet I know of two broken rails on alphas in our club. They weigh 30# more and not as narrow yet.

Arcticmatt

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2017
Thanks everyone. The biggest thing I am struggling with is our local cat dealer is one of the best. Our Polaris dealer is large but I do not know anyone and I think I would be more of a number than a customer. I sat on some Polaris's this weekend and I think it will be an 18 as there are some really good deals out there and upgrade the a-arms next year. We will see where the money comes in at.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks everyone. The biggest thing I am struggling with is our local cat dealer is one of the best. Our Polaris dealer is large but I do not know anyone and I think I would be more of a number than a customer. I sat on some Polaris's this weekend and I think it will be an 18 as there are some really good deals out there and upgrade the a-arms next year. We will see where the money comes in at.

Keep in mind that both the 18 and 19 have the weak aluminum arms.

Both need upgraded.

Essentially zero benefit to the 19.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT

Hmmm, well, if you've got a known good dealer, that's worth something. Kinda depends on who you ask, but definitely some people ride a less preferred brand because of bad experiences and long down-times with a local dealer. Can't really say how much that should weigh – I do all my own work and I'm way past dealer support – but there's one dealer in my area that I'm not sure I'd buy from...

Premium Features