• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Mountain Cat M8000 Clutch Help

C
Dec 28, 2021
Colorado
So doing some maintenance on my sled I found a crack in the face of the primary and tapped it and an entire chunk of the clutch fell off. Everything else on the looks to be in good condition. And I was running it the day before. So it works. Any ideas on how to fix this without buying an entire new clutch??20211228_210948.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
You could get a 911 cover from Thunder Products, ZRP, Bikeman, or Indy Specialty and have it rebalanced. However, given the history of the movable sheaves coming apart on these I wouldn't chance it. If the cover has cracked the towers have probably flexed. Making it more likely they will crack too.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
You could get a 911 cover from Thunder Products, ZRP, Bikeman, or Indy Specialty and have it rebalanced. However, given the history of the movable sheaves coming apart on these I wouldn't chance it. If the cover has cracked the towers have probably flexed. Making it more likely they will crack too.
Agreed not worth the risk just go a new clutch and you should be able to get the new updated primary clutch now so maybe its better.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
could put a ZRP cover on and run it unbalanced for a ride or two if you had to but I would first pull the spring and hold the cover up and push the sheave all way in and see if it bottoms out on the cover before the sheaves touch. if so you will have problems again down the road. Id shop for a 20+ clutch replacement in that case.

C
Dec 28, 2021
Colorado
I took my calipers out and everything from the original clutch was basically the same as my buddy's clutch. I'm assuming there is no stretch(or at least very limited). pushing the sheaves all the way in gives me a little tighter measurement than his sled as well. So I think all is well there for now. Would I have to rebalance my clutch? Just asking because I have a weeklong sledding trip coming up and won't have time to ship it out. I also don't know of a shop around me that will balance these. My thought was that I could send it to Indy specialties after I get back. Is that too much to risk or what are your thoughts?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
All the dimples drilled in the cover are from the balancing. Changing the cover puts you back to being unbalanced. I know ZRP requires proof of rebalancing to warranty their covers.

That being said I have changed a spider on my M7 clutch, and also adjusted belt to sheave clearance on a m1000 clutch which changed the indexing. Ran both without rebalancing. Just depends on your confidence level and accepting issues caused if it's way out of balance.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
clutches should be balanced anytime a large piece is replaced. not saying it will cause you issues but it 100% can. that being said i did replace my cover with a ZRP cover with no issues. id be a bit more leery with yours as its already had "failure"

Premium Features