• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Freeride Suspension Help

E
Oct 11, 2019
So i had a 2018 Skidoo Summit SP 154 with factory suspension minor adjustments with no T-motion lockout. Was able to sidehill and felt completely in control (Rolled over like butter). Well i stepped up and picked up a 2018 Freeride from a friend and couldnt get comfortable for the life of me. Looking for some guidance on adjustments. Please see mods below:

2018 Freeride
Silber Kit (Lost bottomend torque with turbo)
154 tunnel with 165 15" Track
T-motion lockout washer
Sway bar connected
Factory Skis but grippers going on this week (Have correct rubbers)
ZRP lift kit spindles
Suspension set up pretty stiff right now from what i see
Just want to know where to start from
Thanks

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Was the 18 FR still available in two widths? I don't remember, I think it was. Do you have the 40 or the 38 wide? I had the 38 Summit width one. It felt just like my 18 Summit other than better suspension. You have a lot going on there as far as mods. I would look at the stiff suspension and the lift spindles, not sure what they are for but if you lift the front of the sled you are going to affect how the whole thing works. The lockouts make them different, a little harder to roll up, but much more predictable.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Its giong to be a little more difficult than a summit no matter what you do.. but you can try turning all your compression adjusters to full soft, you may even need to back off the spring pre-load a little bit. If you have the wider front end Freeride "S-38" then its going to be even more difficult.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
tighten up the FTS preload and maybe drop the limiter a hole and it will come on edge easier with throttle. Might turn into a wheelie monster with boost though. Stiffen up RTS and torsion springs, consider adding torsion spring spacers or two-up springs to combat that.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Near a city in WA.
Just rode my 2020 freeride for the first time .It felt a lot different than a summit . Biggest difference is it wouldn't transfer like a summit and was very stiff..Remimded me of my polaris i just sold . Not what I was hoping for .Got back in shop and the limiter is very tight.No wonder it would dive so bad . Is it a different strap than a summit ? I compared it to our summit on the shop floor.It is way loose but in the same hole as the freeride .?

20191216_202952.jpg 20191216_202843.jpg

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Just rode my 2020 freeride for the first time .It felt a lot different than a summit . Biggest difference is it wouldn't transfer like a summit and was very stiff..Remimded me of my polaris i just sold . Not what I was hoping for .Got back in shop and the limiter is very tight.No wonder it would dive so bad . Is it a different strap than a summit ? I compared it to our summit on the shop floor.It is way loose but in the same hole as the freeride .?
Kind of a stupid question, but do you have either sled on a dolly? The straps are set up way different than back in the day, I always do a double take in the owners manual when I'm adjusting the straps.. Maybe double check the holes and check your owners manual for reference. If they are different set-ups then just loosen up the strap, it'll make a considerable difference.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Also have a 2020 Freeride (165) and my limiter strap has zero slack in it as well. I installed the adjustable strap kit and left the existing strap on hole 3 but I’m going to change it to hole 2 so I can adjust from 2-4 which will give one hole longer than stock.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Near a city in WA.
Kind of a stupid question, but do you have either sled on a dolly? The straps are set up way different than back in the day, I always do a double take in the owners manual when I'm adjusting the straps.. Maybe double check the holes and check your owners manual for reference. If they are different set-ups then just loosen up the strap, it'll make a considerable difference.
They are both sitting on the shop floor .

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
Any one have any advice for setting up the shocks, i just switch from 2018 165X to a 18 freeride 165 3", was a cheap upgrade, but i have never had any exprience with the kyb40 piggyback shocks, im 185lb with out gear, i did put my spacers back in the rear springs, i have been doing that for years. Have not ridden it yet, hoping to get out the 27th for a few days, all riding is Trees riding, mainly fernie BC 4500-7000ft any clutch recommendations. Rode my 174 t3 for three years last year was the first year on the gen4 165 cant say i was blowen away with the gen4 but i kept it mainly stock

Premium Features