• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Camso VS 2019 Camso DTS

M
Jan 14, 2004
So I've been holding off posting anything about this until I got some real time on the 2019 kit. I finally got around to swapping out my 2018 kit for a 2019.

The first day I rode it my initial impressions were that the new suspension made the kit front heavy. I had originally set things up identical to my 2018 kit but it doesn't work that way. On the first day on the trail it was awful, just wanted to go straight and be flat super sketch, in the deep it was razor sharp and held an impressive edge.

I only had one turn left on my strut rod without cutting it so I shortened the rod the one turn. This one simple adjustment completely transformed the trail handling from full sketch to easy and confidence inspiring. It also made the front end feel a bit lighter in the deep. It may have given up a little bit of hold in the deep but not enough to worry about. Consensus strut rod is set perfect.

While looking at the ski the obvious changes are the additional ribs added front and rear. It doesn't look like much but they add a ton of torsional rigidity to the ski. The ski holds a line better on the trail than the old version but where it really rocks is in the deep. I've been dragging bars longer and deeper than on any other set up I have ridden. Its so fast edge to edge. I did the tightest donut I've ever done on a snow bike yesterday and the thing just held. The a$$ end was spinning out but the ski just kept holding. Impressive.

The rear suspension is also worked over and is quite different than the 18. The softer spring rate, the cam feature and increased sag meant I had to set the preload on the mid setting vs soft on the 18. Its very plush for a torsion spring setup, much more so than I expected. I'm sure the revalved shock helps this as well.

All in all the 2019 is the real deal, combined with the always awesome Camso track its a pretty hard package to beat for the dollars. Camso really has this kit working well now any future improvements need to come via weight reduction not so much for riding but you feel it in the shop, when loading and when picking the bike up.

M5

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
We've got two Camso 2018s mounted to our 2008 XCW 300s. Currently set up as suggested in the manual. Both kits feel identical and turn well. No air pressure in the forks yet but that is coming soon. Other than stiffer forks, what other handling enhancements would you suggest to the 2018 Camso with the older 300 KTMs and what bike are you using that you can go so short on the strut?

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Although I can't speak for the 2018, I am totally happy with my choice to get a 2019. I'm coming off of a 2017 Moto Trax 120 and my two main riding partners are on 2016 Mountain Horse kits. One 120 and one 137. First thing that stood out was the performance of the ski. That thing just plain works. I'll be the first to admit that the giant plastic spindle is not the best looking part out there, but while sitting on the bike, I could not care less. The ability to cut hard and trust the front end has made riding just that much more fun. My bike is a 2015 WR and the forks are stock with the compression turned up the whole way. I'm a smaller guy (170 or so) and I don't really notice any issues with soft forks.

The traction and deep snow performance are as good as advertised in my opinion. There is no doubt that this skid and track hook up. Last year I was jumping in other guy's tracks to make it through the steep and deep, but this year I am purposely taking completely different lines and have not been let down. (I've run out of talent and gotten in a pickle or two - but that is a different conversation.) The rear suspension is not as big a deal to me as others have stated. We luckily don't have much time on trails to get to our playgrounds, so maybe that is the difference? But the few whooped-out runs I have been on were still manageable and the ski was much more predictable than the MT ski or the TS skis. The torsion spring is on the lightest setting and I'm keeping it that way.

Overall - happy as hell and having fun!

M
Jan 14, 2004
When it comes to forks I'm not really a follower of mainstream thinking. The way I look at it is that if you are constantly bottoming out then yah you need stiffer springs but if you aren't all you end up getting is more ski pressure. That's just me, no one I know seems to think this way, but regardless I will keep running softer springs. The caveat is I don't jump or ride a lot of whoops.

Obviously conditions play a huge part in the handling. Yesterday the trail in was rock hard and lumpy, pretty much snow bike hell, with the shortened strut rod the bike still handled much better than the first day out with the longer rod. My suggestion for the 18 would be to play with the strut rod and your fork height in the triples until you get the ski pressure where you like it. The 18 ski twists off more than the 19 version likely because of the 19s extra ribs and new outer skags so it doesn't hold a line as well as the new version. My buddy is using my Yeti ski right now on his TS kit and it was no better than the Camso ski on the rock hard crap, maybe even worse.

Once we got up around 7000 feet the snow was deep and still soft even in the sun. I got myself into a deep creek bed that was a couple of hundred feet across, I thought I was screwed but I just side hilled out of it like nothing. The ski never slipped or washed which is good because I'd still be there. LOL

I think the softer rate rear spring and rising rate cam are coming into play as well as the 19 kit has more sag than the 18 so it changes the ski pressure. On my 18 I always had the rear spring set on the softest setting the 19 needs to be at the mid setting. I haven't decided if I think it needs more rear spring yet, it may.

The last huge improvement is the 19 has brakes ALL THE TIME. If you can retrofit the brake shield to the 18 kit I would do it.

The things I would do to the 18 kit are add the brake shield, the rising rate cam deal and limiter strap. I wouldn't bother changing skis as it would be cost prohibitive. Do those few things and ride it. If you want all the updates you are better off selling the 18 and buying a 19.

M5

B
I have never needed more than 1 gallon of fuel as we don't, and do not need to, ride far from the house to get all our riding in.

I have a 1 gallon RotoPax fuel jug that sits under my RotoPax storage box fits perfectly in between the ridges of the DTS 129 cover or "tray" as it is known by Camso. See the last two pictures in this as they are of my bike and the fuel can and storage box.

https://www.rmcsnowbikes.ca/collections/new-snowbike-bags-1/products/rotopax-2-gal-storage-box

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I used a 2.5 Gal Tuf Jug that I got on Amazon. Fits well in the pre-formed tray. Cut a ratchet strap to secure it in place. Really happy with the fit and function.

Attachments

• IMG_2713.JPG
    IMG_2713.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2803.JPG
    IMG_2803.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 135
S
So I've been holding off posting anything about this until I got some real time on the 2019 kit. I finally got around to swapping out my 2018 kit for a 2019.

The first day I rode it my initial impressions were that the new suspension made the kit front heavy. I had originally set things up identical to my 2018 kit but it doesn't work that way. On the first day on the trail it was awful, just wanted to go straight and be flat super sketch, in the deep it was razor sharp and held an impressive edge.

I only had one turn left on my strut rod without cutting it so I shortened the rod the one turn. This one simple adjustment completely transformed the trail handling from full sketch to easy and confidence inspiring. It also made the front end feel a bit lighter in the deep. It may have given up a little bit of hold in the deep but not enough to worry about. Consensus strut rod is set perfect.

While looking at the ski the obvious changes are the additional ribs added front and rear. It doesn't look like much but they add a ton of torsional rigidity to the ski. The ski holds a line better on the trail than the old version but where it really rocks is in the deep. I've been dragging bars longer and deeper than on any other set up I have ridden. Its so fast edge to edge. I did the tightest donut I've ever done on a snow bike yesterday and the thing just held. The a$$ end was spinning out but the ski just kept holding. Impressive.

The rear suspension is also worked over and is quite different than the 18. The softer spring rate, the cam feature and increased sag meant I had to set the preload on the mid setting vs soft on the 18. Its very plush for a torsion spring setup, much more so than I expected. I'm sure the revalved shock helps this as well.

All in all the 2019 is the real deal, combined with the always awesome Camso track its a pretty hard package to beat for the dollars. Camso really has this kit working well now any future improvements need to come via weight reduction not so much for riding but you feel it in the shop, when loading and when picking the bike up.

M5
M5 - can you attach pictures of the ski differences for the 2018 vs 2019 kit? I'm curious to see the differences.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I don't have pics anymore, they went to the grave with my old phone. Basically the difference is they added additional ribs on the four corners front and back to add torsional rigidity. The 19+ ski is stiffer doesn't twist off like the early version liked to do. Its still not the trail king ski by any means but in the deep its pretty good. They modified the outer runners as well if I remember right.

Premium Features