• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Axys with Silber Turbo has extreme bogging issue...Need help!

J
Nov 8, 2020
I am new to this forum and am looking for help with trouble shooting an extreme bogging issue that occurred on my last ride last season. I am fairly new to sledding (fifth season) so am learning as much as I can along the way. I try to troubleshoot, fix, and maintain my sleds myself as much as possible. Thanks for any advice and help ahead of time.
So here’s the backstory. My last ride of the season my sled all of a sudden developed and extreme bog. I was side hilling through thick trees and had to stop and pull my front end down to turn down the hill. When I started it back up to head down it had the bog issue. It was like night and day difference as things were fine then it was not. It will start up and idle just fine but giving it any amount of throttle it bogs with no power whatsoever. It seems to be loading up with lots of oil coming out the exhaust. I pulled the spark plugs and they were wet and oily so put new ones in with no improvements. On the 10 plus mile ride back we discovered that the primary spring had broke at some point so replaced it with a spare with no improvements. After the trip back it had a lot of oil in the bottom of the baulkhead under the exhaust y-pipe and quite a lot over by the turbo can under the QuickDrive. On the trip back I would continue to rock and shake the sled holding the throttle wide open and every so often it would all of a sudden hit hard and run normal for about 1-3 seconds then back to bogging. It did this all the way back.
Is it possibly an electrical issue? Or maybe reed valves? Is it a turbo issue?

I just cleaned the power valves with no change or improvements. The waste gate spring seems fine and I checked the impellers from the fresh air port side of the turbo. They seem to spin smooth and very freely.

Sled specs
2018 Axys 163 with a non-intercooled Silber Turbo Running the 5# spring. It has 1200-1500 miles with the turbo on it from day one. I have always run 20% LL100 with non ethonal gas.
I ride mostly 5000-7500 feet elevation.
I have the TKI gear down kit. 63/29=2.17
I have Indy Specialty turbo clutching for both primary and secondary.

So any ideas thoughts that will point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Last edited:
R

RZRNUT

Feb 8, 2009
Hi, I have 2 Silber Axys. One is mine and one my son's. He rides his hard! I have had similar issues. Almost always it ends up being a Clutch issue. We are able to swap clutches and that helps a lot. I see Glazed belts, deflection off, sticking weights etc. Now I always clean and check after every second ride. I take a wire brush to my belt and clean and rough up the clutch faec as well. Seems to help a lot!
Could also be a throttle safety switch. Ours went out and we bypassed it. Caused similar issues.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Throttle safety switch- TSS would be the first thing I would check (bypass it)

J
Nov 8, 2020
An update on what I found wrong with my sled. It was the four wires going to the T-Map sensor which inserts into the air box. When the previous owner installed the turbo he had the wires going to the sensor pushed up against the ECU unit so two of the four wires severed from rubbing. So it was going into limp mode causing the bog. I had to cut all the wires and reconnect the clip that connects to the sensor. Glad I was able to do this because those four wires are part of that big main wiring harness that also connects to the ecu unit and a bunch of other stuff from what I can tell.

Thanks again for all the imput!

Premium Features