• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 axys 800 Silber kit bearing shot

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
I got a 2018 sks 155 800 with 1300 miles and has been boosted with Silber’s kit from day 1 the turbo bearing is shot and I want to replace the turbo with something that will last longer I was thinking Garrett does anyone know what I need to order. I was happy with the performance but would like a turbo that could go longer

alexkravets

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Portland
this happened last weekend...
so ether going to order middle section from silber for $650 or I can send it to them for a repair for less money

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I’m not excited about replacing it with the same stuff

With the reflash tune I don’t know if running a different turbo would give you good run ability results.

Also the dimensions and flange size / locations / indexing seems pretty critical to have the parts fit.

Revert to stock, send it in to be fixed and sell the kit used?

If you don’t have confidence in the turbo maybe try a different Companies turbo kit?

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
I’m no mechanic I was just hoping I could replace the turbo with a better one the same size ect? To get something more reliable it just seems like people are getting much more than 2000 miles out of that one component. I’m happy with everything else.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Snow and ice and also storage in high humidity areas shorten the life of a turbo. Just the price of power.

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
Dang that sucks. I was planning on taking my silber off my current axys with 1300 miles and putting it on a new 2019 holdover. Now i am second guessing my plan.

alexkravets

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Portland
here is what happened
one of the plastic clips from air box brocke went thrue the compressor and caused the damage... Intercooler caught all the brocken pieces ..I am thinking about putting snorkel intake

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
here is what happened
one of the plastic clips from air box brocke went thrue the compressor and caused the damage... Intercooler caught all the brocken pieces ..I am thinking about putting snorkel intake
I only will run the snorkel intake 2100 miles on my sled runs awesome never had any issues with anything. She’s been a pull and go but it is a complete BD system

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Dang that sucks. I was planning on taking my silber off my current axys with 1300 miles and putting it on a new 2019 holdover. Now i am second guessing my plan.

Why would someone else’s problem make you second guess your plan?

Just run it.

If YOU have a problem just fix it and move on?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
This is definitely not the norm and is more a one off. It’s obvious from the other report’s pic that FOD caused that failure.

If FOD is ruled out with the OP, I’d seriously be looking at your oiling system. Oil, pump, lines, routing because something else is more likely to have caused this failure. These turbos have been stellar with reliability and longevity.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I am clocking now @ 3200 miles on my 2016 Axys 800 with the Silber, and have not had any issues with mine or others I have installed over the years.
There are always exceptions from MFG where parts are sourced- but overall have had zero running issues.... I did have to tweak a few V bands over the years for fitment- but that was easily resolved....
Easy fix it to get another for fitment of the kit components. IMHO...

Premium Features