• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Reliability AFTER updates?

Hi All,

Buying a first sled and a couple buddies both recommended Skidoo Summits.

I've read about the issues and updates on the 2017 and wondering how reliable they have proven after the updates?

Did it end up being certain sleds that were just prone to issues or a certain riding style was found to be a cause?

IF it's specific sleds are there any indicators I can look at when inspecting used ones?

I'll be heading into the backcountry off trail, though not planning anything too crazy or intense.

Thanks

s

W
Apr 4, 2018
The motor recently blew up on my 2017 at 2800km, piece of a rod came off and broke a piston skirt. Not much reusable on that motor. I see a lot more 2017's with replaced motors for sale then any other year of the 850.

I also had electrical issues which were a pain. Many people had belt problems with 2017's, but this sled was really good on belts.

I'd only consider buying one if it were considerably less then newer ones.

Also, my sled had all the updates done to it, was never overheated and always warmed up before I rode.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
There is a bunch of 17s around here, of them I know about a couple that had motor issues from running the Amsoil :poop:! IMO only use XPS oil. Some had belt issues that were fixed with proper alignment & clutching & many had PTO injector wire issues like I did, dealer tried to repair once but it happened again then they installed a complete updated front wiring harness at no cost to me, (y) the dealer would replace all 850s that came with PTO injector issues with new wiring harness.
My 17 has all BRP updates + clutching alignment with Grip N Rip tool / poly motor mounts, DJ clutch kit with 100-365 primary spring.

Runs great with no issues.

W
Apr 4, 2018
many had PTO injector wire issues like I did, dealer tried to repair once but it happened again then they installed a complete updated front wiring harness at no cost to me, (y) the dealer would replace all 850s that came with PTO injector issues with new wiring harness.

My issue was the engine wiring harness, not the secondary injector harness. Ski-doo refused to replace it under warranty, sounds like you had a much better dealer then me!

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
My issue was the engine wiring harness, not the secondary injector harness. Ski-doo refused to replace it under warranty, sounds like you had a much better dealer then me!
Yes We are lucky around here we we have quite a few good Dealers that are knowledgeable and great to work with (y)
there are other dealers in many places that are :poop: no customer service after the sale + no knowledge / troubleshooting skills.

Premium Features