• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'2017 Mountain Cat clutching

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Just bought a used '17 Mountain Cat. Clutching is stock. Had a short test run. It appeared to hold 8100 ish climbing. The impression I had though was it didn't shift out well and had limited top end. Seemed to strain to see 60 mph in a meadow. Any recommendations on clutch setup? Is the stock helix 48 degrees? Is that the place to start?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
make sure your belt is good, maybe try a new one, but first take a burgandy scotch bright to the sheaves and scrub them down to fresh aluminum, scrub from the inside to out leaving the little scratches for the belt to grip. take apart the secondary and do the same. then blow out the primary dust, note what weights are in it, check the rollers, wipe the sheaves clean with a little carb spray on clean paper towel, wipe with fresh towels until dry/clean, reassemble, fire up spin the track good, then check/adjust deflection.
Good time to check/adjust track tension/alignment too.
gotta make sure you start with clean slate before you mess with anything. stock helix is 48. works great imo.

N
Jul 23, 2008
Bump. Need to drop some weight out of the primary on a new to me '17 Mountain Cat.

Currently set up stock with 68g weights. I'm riding primarily between 8-10K and occasionally 11K. Drop to 66g weights call it good or is there more to be done? I'm coming off a 2005 M7 and I'm certain the clutching was never dialed so I haven't built about up a sensitivity to backshift etc, just know I'm not hitting peak RPM currently. Noticed the cat kit comes with a different primary spring. What does that do for me? Do I need it I drop weight or is the stock spring fine?

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Check spring rates of both springs, one in kit may be a lower start with a higher finish to keep engagement decent with lighter weights and help with RPM at that elevation.

Premium Features