• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 800 HO cylinder and piston specs

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Any one know what the size and tolerances are.. I'm having a hard time finding them.

Thanks.

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Thank you. I looked in my book and couldn't find that.. oh well. It only said 85mm but polaris likes to round and the spec posted shows that. 85mm is 3.346 not 3.34 which is right?? That difference would put your clearance out of spec one way or the other.

Just to clarify when it says piston to cylinder clearance it's talking all the way around right? So double that value and subtract from bore size. .0082- .0106 smaller then bore?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Thank you. I looked in my book and couldn't find that.. oh well. It only said 85mm but polaris likes to round and the spec posted shows that. 85mm is 3.346 not 3.34 which is right?? That difference would put your clearance out of spec one way or the other.

Just to clarify when it says piston to cylinder clearance it's talking all the way around right? So double that value and subtract from bore size. .0082- .0106 smaller then bore?
Um... been a while, and I have to admit to just slapping in pistons in my Carls 860 since Carls was really tight on their specs. And the prior engine I did, I brought in the cylinders and pistons to dealer and had them check my clearance, then I set the ring gap myself. But the proper way to do it as far as I recollect is to measure the piston diameter (since they can vary a little) preferably with a micrometer, at a number of points, then measure the cylinder diameter also at several points using a snap gauge, and subtract the difference. At least that is the procedure as I recall it. Better get some input from someone else too. :cool:

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Right I understand how to measure it, I'm a machinist.. but I'm thinking at the end of your process divide by 2. Could be wrong.. ended up taking cylinder down to Indy specialty's they claim 3.346 is the nominal size. And I took my cylinders to work the before and measured with a mueller gauge and got 3.346 and 3.3465 pistons are like .010 smaller .005 per side.

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Oofta really?? Not per side? Cause I have yet to see a piston in spec if that's the case, even my brand new ones..

Premium Features