• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 M8000 Limited High Alt Clutching

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
Was wondering what others have used for clutch setup for riding 10-11,000 feet and had work well? Are you using stock cam, springs and just changing weights or using a full high altitude kit. My 2016 doesn't seem to be all that consistent for shifting at 6-9,000 feet and think it will be nothing but worse at high elevations if just changing weights. Also, how light are you going on the weights, I see some of the adjustable kits don't seem to go low enough in beginning weight to work at the elevation I am looking at riding.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i think the inconsistancy is in the 48 degree helix. its a bit much. i would switch to a 45 straight. cutlers adjustable weights go plenty light also, the 65-75 is what youd want, and they run a little higher rpm from my experience so you might end up around 70 grams. (stock 68s actually weigh like 69+)

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
Thanks Sno*jet. If I go to the straight 45 helix and adjustable weights would there be any need for a change to the primary or secondary springs?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I dont think so but maybe somebody whos run the 45 can concur. If you move to a softer spring, thats negating the point of running a hair shallower helix in my mind. general rule of thumb is one clutch change at a time. id throw the helix in and run it at your 6-9k range, and when you go 10-11k youll probably need the lighter weights.
somebody whos had a 16 at those elevations should chime in, I forgot that 16s had lower final ratio gearing than my 17. Could be that youd be good with just the lighter weights and a thorough clutch cleaning/new belt/set the deflection proper and run it.?
If you notice when its apart that the primary spring is wearing into the clutch cover, a set of glide washers will remedy that and prevent any binding https://thunderproductsclutching.com/product/clutch-spring-glide-washer-kit/

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I have a 15 and went with mds weights. Give Steve a call he will set you up! My sled performs perfect with his set up.

Last edited:
Premium Features