• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 800 not quite pulling full rpm

C
Mar 9, 2021
Boise, ID
I have a 2016 800 rmk 155 with about 3000 miles on it. It runs really strong from the low end, but on a hard packed airstrip I'm only seeing 8100 rpm max. It has a full slp pipe and can. The rpm doesn't seem to change from maybe 85/90% throttle upwards. Just sounds a bit more flat. Not a big difference, but just no rpm change. I've only had this machine for a year, so unfortunately I don't know its full history. Where would be the best place to start? It runs great outside of this issue. Unfortunately I'm not with the machine at the moment, so I can't test anything currently, but a starting point would be appreciated when I can get to it.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
I have a 2016 800 rmk 155 with about 3000 miles on it. It runs really strong from the low end, but on a hard packed airstrip I'm only seeing 8100 rpm max. It has a full slp pipe and can. The rpm doesn't seem to change from maybe 85/90% throttle upwards. Just sounds a bit more flat. Not a big difference, but just no rpm change. I've only had this machine for a year, so unfortunately I don't know its full history. Where would be the best place to start? It runs great outside of this issue. Unfortunately I'm not with the machine at the moment, so I can't test anything currently, but a starting point would be appreciated when I can get to it.
Leakdown test.... With those miles, you are probably ready for a top end. <2% OKAY 2-5% Start planning >5% expect performance hits (roughly based on another thread) I am short on RPM, have one piston down ~4% @ room temp, 160 hours, 2400 miles.

@Creativename's list is really the place to start. Motor mounts and torque arm are shot if they have not been replaced, which means your belt is out of alignment. Look for posts from TRS about witness marks and check yours. If your clutches haven't had a full go through including spring replacements, bushings rollers, etc they are over due. All of the moving parts in the clutches wear and can cause RPM / Backshift issues. Belt, if excessivly worn will also cause issues. These sleds like defelction set tight.

There are other causes of low RPM, but the above are the most common on high milage mountain sleds. Been through the all at this point on my 16, expect top end which is comming very soon.

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Match covered everything I can think of - easiest place to start is to clean the clutch faces (scotchbrite then wipe with IPA or Acetone), new belt and new clutch springs and check/replace your motor mounts. If that does not get it, have the clutches gone through. If none of that brings your rpm back up, then start looking into the motor. BTW with the SLP pipe and Carls clutching, 8100 to 8200 is the target.

Premium Features