• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 ecu code 12 and PCV?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Western NY.
So Ive been having issues with the pcv throwing a code 12 on the ecu when I rev it up on the jack stand.

But on the dyno it does not throw a code.

tried 2 ecus, and 2 pcv's, coils are in spec, Take pcv off and rev on stand no code 12.

Does the speed sensor on the track have anything to do with this, being on a jackstand and no load on it? Any ideas?

Also when the sled throws a code does it still run the same in the field? Is it just a warning that it seeing something?

Code 12 is bad coil

R
Could be because there is no load, but highly unlikely. The spark won't change, unless maybe a stator issue. If the engine is running, your pick up coil should be producing.
If in doubt, shoot Chris kelly an email or call at Dynojet. It maybe a faulty PCV.

So Ive been having issues with the pcv throwing a code 12 on the ecu when I rev it up on the jack stand.
But on the dyno it does not throw a code.
tried 2 ecus, and 2 pcv's, coils are in spec, Take pcv off and rev on stand no code 12.
Does the speed sensor on the track have anything to do with this, being on a jackstand and no load on it? Any ideas?
Also when the sled throws a code does it still run the same in the field? Is it just a warning that it seeing something?

Code 12 is bad coil
Hi guys!
The Code 12 on these Cat sleds isn't something that we've seen in person - only heard rumors of it and is impossible to reproduce on our shop M8.
That being said, what are the first 4 serial numbers of the PCV? Any unit greater than 1502 has yet to fail and come back to us. We've warrantied all units up to that point with 100% success rate after that date. Does the PCV work on another 800 Cat? If so, the pairing on your particular machine is the culprit.

AND - Revving the sled on a track stand does lend potential to expose a code. The Cat's use 2 pickup sensors inside the case to sense position and direction of rotation for engine reverse - but this also allows them to monitor crankcase accel. When this rev happens to rapidly, the ECU can throw any myriad of codes from soft/hard OCTN to a bad coil even to an EGT sensor. Inserting any timing advance or retard to the map will skew the readings of what your ECU is looking for at specific times especially since things are revving freely. This would happen even more readily if you pulled the primary clutch off the sled and revved it up.

Since the sled merely flashes the code but runs normal in the field or on a dyno, the pairing of your ECU and coil setup is in the "weak area" relative to the 99% of other Cats - plus it wants engine load. It thinks it sees something going awry because either the coil is on the low end of spec while the components in the ECU want to read on the high end of spec , or vise-versa.

Thanks fellas! Hope this lends some insight.
~T.J.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Western NY.
Hi guys!
The Code 12 on these Cat sleds isn't something that we've seen in person - only heard rumors of it and is impossible to reproduce on our shop M8.
That being said, what are the first 4 serial numbers of the PCV? Any unit greater than 1502 has yet to fail and come back to us. We've warrantied all units up to that point with 100% success rate after that date. Does the PCV work on another 800 Cat? If so, the pairing on your particular machine is the culprit.

AND - Revving the sled on a track stand does lend potential to expose a code. The Cat's use 2 pickup sensors inside the case to sense position and direction of rotation for engine reverse - but this also allows them to monitor crankcase accel. When this rev happens to rapidly, the ECU can throw any myriad of codes from soft/hard OCTN to a bad coil even to an EGT sensor. Inserting any timing advance or retard to the map will skew the readings of what your ECU is looking for at specific times especially since things are revving freely. This would happen even more readily if you pulled the primary clutch off the sled and revved it up.

Since the sled merely flashes the code but runs normal in the field or on a dyno, the pairing of your ECU and coil setup is in the "weak area" relative to the 99% of other Cats - plus it wants engine load. It thinks it sees something going awry because either the coil is on the low end of spec while the components in the ECU want to read on the high end of spec , or vise-versa.

Thanks fellas! Hope this lends some insight.
~T.J.

Still throws codes on jackstand, still no snow to test drive.

Rumors, these things are throwing codes left and right around here.

R
Feb 26, 2008
Last year, i had several start popping that code right before they failed. Now theyre doing it again with the newest part numbers.
If they fail again, I will not be near as pleasant as I was with the first 7 failures.

E
Feb 28, 2016
Yeah, I`ve got a cfr 1000, it would throw code 12 also, first it ran ok but now it doesn`t, put the boondocker back on and it runs ok. Got the same standard reply from dynojet, trying to get warranty replacement now, hopefully they will send me a non ignition one. apparently the non ignition pcv`s are ok. Mine was after 1502 serial number and failed

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Is this still an issue? I have tried A LOT of things to rid myself of the code 12. Changed the knock sensor, went to gm and got the new exhaust temp sensor, and it was gone for a bit. It's coming back now, ecu 12.... This unit was new in November 2016.
I know of 3 pc5's that failed all had the ignition.
Do they make a pc5 with the boost sensors with NO IGNITION?

H
Jan 31, 2017
Whistler BC
ive had a PCV since buying my 2016 m8000LTD with the SLP stage two kit in it from new and have had that code flash daily since new. ive had one PCV die on me in the feild, thankfully dynojet warrantied it no stress. since putting new PCV it has thrown code 12 every day that i ride, sled runs fine. im told this is just what happens with some PCV's. If dynojet sees this and wants to send me another PCV im up for that. arctic cats have silly wiring, but she runs super strong so im not complaining

R
Dec 9, 2007
Feel silly responding to a 2+ year-old thread, oh well...maybe someone can use this info...
Had a couple years of seeing ECU codes 12 and 15, went thru a few PCV boxes without success. Also swapped ECU, coils, stator, no change. Became very predictable - it only happened early in the ride, every ride... I finally switched out my PCV with timing for a PCV without timing, but added 2.5° timing key. Now I'm three 50-mile rides on it and I am code-free, the sled has never run better. 2013 Proclimb, RKT 925 w/ jaws pipe and y-pipe.

Premium Features