• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Yamaha Viper upgrades

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
So I've been doing quite a bit of work on my 2014 Viper. I recently put the Arctic Cat 36" front end on my sled with the Fox Zero QS3-R's. I'm looking for info on my 174" rear skid. I was considering shortening it to a 165" Alpha One suspension and track. I was recently researching a T-motion set up for my skid. What is the difference between the Racer's Edge and Baker skids? What do I have and what options are available? I found a B-motion conversion. Laird McDougal from Powerhouse Customs runs one.

Attachments

• IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2691.JPG
    700.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2694.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG
    593.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2692.JPG
    IMG_2692.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    665.3 KB · Views: 27

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
The difference between the Cat 36” and Zbros 38” is night and day. I find it so much easier to sidehill and whip **** hooks! Especially turning uphill.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Vipers respond well to pivoting rear arms, good choice. Keep the 174. It has much better flotation and power transfer characteristics. If you are turboed with real power, that is a must.

The 36" arms are much better if they ditch the enormous chicken coops the factory called spindles. That mod alone will change the behavior of the sled. It is so much better to ride as it eliminates the diving and burying that happens in deep snow when the sled is on it's side. You will know what I am talking about if you have ridden one.

Lastly, Baker and racers edge skids are coupling setups; they keep the front planted under high power. The more power you make, the more you need a coupler. Two other options include: 1. kmod full skid with a kmotion pivoting rear arm setup, and 2. CR Racing m10. I have a kmod on my viper and it was worth every penny since my sled makes big power, and I run it between 300 and 360 hp depending on snow. My other sled is a Doo 1200 turbo with a CR M10. The kmod is more playful than the M10 and it has quite a bit more travel, resulting in a higher ride height. The M10, like a Baker or a racers edge, has a lower ride height and is less playful. However, they are more docile and nice to handle under big power. I prefer the handling characteristics of the 1200T when it is making well north of 300 since it is easier to handle, which is appreciated when things happen so quickly at WOT.

Premium Features