• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Voltage Issues

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
Bought a used 2014 M8000 Ltd. Didn,t notice till I got it home that the headlights were not working, low beams blown,. Checked the voltage with a AC volt meter, never went above 14.5. Replaced head light bulbs, ok.
Went for several rides, now the headlights are blown again, 1 still works on Hi beam.
do you think its just the voltage regulator or is there a common loose ground I should be looking for.
I find some after market regulators for half price, but don,t know if I trust them.
Any help appreciated.

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
Voltage regulator is likely the problem. Am dealing with this right now on my '14. Blew out both low beams and tail light. Switched on hi beams and they worked at idle and then blew out immediately when giving a bit of throttle. Also appears to have smoked, or at least damaged my gauge cluster. You may want to look into yours deeper before riding it much. A regulator is much less expensive than a gauge cluster. $80 or something like that for original regulator from cat on partspitstop.com Not that the original one did you or I any good. I only have 1100 miles on my sled and it failed.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Where does the voltage regulator hide on these things? I think I might be having the same problem.:face-icon-small-fro

N
Sep 9, 2012
Does anyone have a confirmed fix for this? I have a 14’ m8000 non electric start. I have the same bulb blowing issue. Checked voltage and it was 14.5 at idle, replaced the voltage regulator and it’s still showing 14.5. I’m checking through the cigarette lighter. What should the voltage be at on these sleds?

I checked another sled that is e-start and it was 12.5

N
Sep 9, 2012
Fixed. It was indeed the voltage regulator. The sled has ac and dc current. 12-15v is fine. The ac portion of the regulator was bad, which controls the lights. I had my meter in the wrong spot testing on the cig lighter. When testing the bad regulator At idle it was 12 and when you revved it would go over 20v. The new regulator never went above 15. Go to country cats website, download the “2014 2-stroke service manual” for all the specs/tests.

Premium Features